The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Why Does Betteman Hate Canada?

SpfldRifle

Tampa Bay,Florida(Miami),Phoenix,Nashville,Anaheim,and (if they don't win the Cup this year) soon to be San Jose and probably Carolina too. These teams are not going to succeed long term,period. A couple of them have done ok short term, at the expense of the the sovereignty, and seriousness of the Stanley Cup. I mean,could you imagine if the Anaheim Ducks were still called Disney's "Mighty Ducks" when they were awarded the Championship?

Someone needs to tell Betteman,(who STILL doesn't know a damn thing about hockey),where the REAL hockey fans are! If i'm not mistaking,i think he's even considering putting a team in Las Vegas of all places!

I live in Springfield,Massachusetts,home to Basketball.We all know how that sport is over marketed to non-belief.This is the sport Betteman came from as an understudy to David Stern.The obvious calls against good players trying to defend "superstars" (aka Lebron James, Kobe Bryant,...etc) Now Betteman forces Stanley Cup Championships into towns such as Tampa Bay, Carolina,(Raleigh,to be specific),Anaheim,and he will be damned if San Jose does not get their Cup!

I wish Canadians would start bringing this to his attention,how about a stipend to Canada for providing the majority of the professional players?How about one time a US city gets a franchise, the next one automatically goes to Canada?The league is really weak now,the quality of play,in my opinion,is tattered.Teams are watered down talent wise. Maybe subtract a few teams?

Long story-short, he,(Betteman),thinks Las Vegas is more of a hockey town than say....Hamilton,Ont.? C'mon!

As an American living in the heart of the Midwest, I have to agree with you. Will you allow those of us who feel the same way to retire up to Canada? B)

I had noticed Nashville is doing very well this year, yet they are doing sub-par in attendance. Now one thing that has to factor in right now is the fact we still have a bad economy and alot of people are out of work.

However, I attended the Colts game Sunday and our stadium was filled to the rafters. If we can pack in 60,000 plus at those prices, I'd think Nashville could pack them in for a good Predators team.

Hockey down here is a cult sport. There are folks here in Indianapolis who are diehard hockey fans, but there are not many of us, and that's the way it is throughout the country except for Minnesota, St Louis, Chicago, Detroit, Buffalo, Pitt, and the Northeast cities.

Everywhere else is going to be spotty.

As an American living in the heart of the Midwest, I have to agree with you. Will you allow those of us who feel the same way to retire up to Canada? B)

I had noticed Nashville is doing very well this year, yet they are doing sub-par in attendance. Now one thing that has to factor in right now is the fact we still have a bad economy and alot of people are out of work.

However, I attended the Colts game Sunday and our stadium was filled to the rafters. If we can pack in 60,000 plus at those prices, I'd think Nashville could pack them in for a good Predators team.

Hockey down here is a cult sport. There are folks here in Indianapolis who are diehard hockey fans, but there are not many of us, and that's the way it is throughout the country except for Minnesota, St Louis, Chicago, Detroit, Buffalo, Pitt, and the Northeast cities.

Everywhere else is going to be spotty.

Yep Hockey is far behind that of Football and Baseball in the U.S.A.

I do not know if there ever will be a solution to that situation.

Tampa Bay,Florida(Miami),Phoenix,Nashville,Anaheim,and (if they don't win the Cup this year) soon to be San Jose and probably Carolina too. These teams are not going to succeed long term,period. A couple of them have done ok short term, at the expense of the the sovereignty, and seriousness of the Stanley Cup. I mean,could you imagine if the Anaheim Ducks were still called Disney's "Mighty Ducks" when they were awarded the Championship?

Someone needs to tell Betteman,(who STILL doesn't know a damn thing about hockey),where the REAL hockey fans are! If i'm not mistaking,i think he's even considering putting a team in Las Vegas of all places!

I live in Springfield,Massachusetts,home to Basketball.We all know how that sport is over marketed to non-belief.This is the sport Betteman came from as an understudy to David Stern.The obvious calls against good players trying to defend "superstars" (aka Lebron James, Kobe Bryant,...etc) Now Betteman forces Stanley Cup Championships into towns such as Tampa Bay, Carolina,(Raleigh,to be specific),Anaheim,and he will be damned if San Jose does not get their Cup!

I wish Canadians would start bringing this to his attention,how about a stipend to Canada for providing the majority of the professional players?How about one time a US city gets a franchise, the next one automatically goes to Canada?The league is really weak now,the quality of play,in my opinion,is tattered.Teams are watered down talent wise. Maybe subtract a few teams?

Long story-short, he,(Betteman),thinks Las Vegas is more of a hockey town than say....Hamilton,Ont.? C'mon!

LA and Anaheim have been having some problems, San Jose, surprisingly has enjoyed a very solid fan base since inception. The franchises that are having difficulties meeting minimum requirements for revenue sharing like Nashville (has used subsidiary companies to purchace tickets to inflate attendance records), Florida, Tampa Bay, Carolina, Atlanta, Phoenix. These are the teams that are likely to fail in someway.

Phoenix will be propped up for 3-5 years as Buttman has made this a personal situation.

Atlanta's ownership group has been in dissaray and has begun to focus its resources on the NBA Hawks. This team is ripe for a move in 2-3 years. Which would fit in very well for Quebec city who has begun contruction on a 400Mil$ complex and has a deep pocketted ownership group waiting to move a team or acquire an expansion team (Quebecor, who is a major multi media company with it's own TV stations as well).

Florida, they've been run by a group who purchases sports franchises solely to gut them for financial reasons and then sell them off. This team will either fold or be moved (this one is the likeliest to be moved to KC or Las Vegas)

Carolina, while they have solid front office staff and have had on-ice success, this franchise will crawl on for many years

Tampa Bay, their ownership group is in SERIOUS trouble. To reign in their losses they will be forced to either sell and move or trade one payer making 10million dollars per year (VL4) to be able to stay in town.

Nashville, as I mentioned, has used subsidiary companies to purchace tickets to inflate attendance records. Doing so guarantees revenue sharing dollars keeping them a viable franchise is Tennesee, at least for the forseeable future.

Even Dallas is in financial difficulty, but this is due mainly to their owner being hit hard by this economy. Their attendance and revenue streams are still solid and have been (along with San Jose) to be the best in the sun belt states.

That all being said. It is a virtual certainty that with a descent building cities like Quebec, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Toronto (not a leaf joke just saying there should be a 2nd team there), even Kitchener-Waterloo, Regina and Halifax could make better financial sence than many US cities.

But the commish is too busy trying to create a TV deal that will nevcer happen

Football and baseball have also been an American sport for over 100 years. And its reached all corners of the country year round. Hockey has had what, 20ish years maybe 30 here in the US? When I went to school in the 80's, you never even heard of hockey down here in Florida. Now we have a few rinks, leagues and even my HS has a hockey team. Its something that will take time. But it has become more mainstream.

Will it catch up to football or baseball in popularity and regular attendence? Probably not. But that doesnt mean move all the teams up to Canada. Some of these threads reek more of Canadians hating hockey in America then Bettman hating hockey in Canada.

Football and baseball have also been an American sport for over 100 years. And its reached all corners of the country year round. Hockey has had what, 20ish years maybe 30 here in the US? When I went to school in the 80's, you never even heard of hockey down here in Florida. Now we have a few rinks, leagues and even my HS has a hockey team. Its something that will take time. But it has become more mainstream.

Will it catch up to football or baseball in popularity and regular attendence? Probably not. But that doesnt mean move all the teams up to Canada. Some of these threads reek more of Canadians hating hockey in America then Bettman hating hockey in Canada.

Yeah,the problem with your theory is....I am an American,(USA) from Massachusetts. Not Canadian, and the fact of the matter is that although Tampa has won a championship they STILL can't support that team sufficiently.You live in a warm weather city that has "other" things to do. For crying out loud your city has a hard time supporting Baseball too! Why should Tampa,or Miami be awarded teams when their "so-called" fans would rather be swimming? What if the "Majority" of Baseball teams were suddenly moved to Canada? Yeah,lets make sure Ottawa has a Baseball team,but don't put one in say..."Houston" "because we're trying to do something here"?

Call me back when the economy isnt in the toilet like its been for the last 2-3 years. And take away southern hockey and what will the snowbirds do during the winter? As for baseball, 1 winning season out of 18 will do that. Especially when most of their seasons have had a 100+ loss seasons.

And I love it when someone from either another part of the country or from another country thinks they know whats best for another city. You can as much make a decision as to what happens in other parts of the country as we can say whats best for Mass. Maybe we should close down the Red Wings as well? There are games where you could shoot a canon into the stands and not hit anybody.

Call me back when the economy isnt in the toilet like its been for the last 2-3 years. And take away southern hockey and what will the snowbirds do during the winter? As for baseball, 1 winning season out of 18 will do that. Especially when most of their seasons have had a 100+ loss seasons.

And I love it when someone from either another part of the country or from another country thinks they know whats best for another city. You can as much make a decision as to what happens in other parts of the country as we can say whats best for Mass. Maybe we should close down the Red Wings as well? There are games where you could shoot a canon into the stands and not hit anybody.

Before Bettman took over this sport was on the rise. Yes the economy has alot to do with poor attendance but Bettman is a failure when it comes to marketing the league. It is almost non existent on American tv. Thank goodness for the NHL network and Versus or else games and scores would be impossible to find here in the states. ESPN the world wide leader in sports doesn't even show game scores. The league is bleeding money and the game has little to no identity in the states. You can blame that on the economy but alot of the NHL's problems could be fixed with a commissioner that actually knows his butt from his elbow.

Before Bettman took over this sport was on the rise. Yes the economy has alot to do with poor attendance but Bettman is a failure when it comes to marketing the league. It is almost non existent on American tv. Thank goodness for the NHL network and Versus or else games and scores would be impossible to find here in the states. ESPN the world wide leader in sports doesn't even show game scores. The league is bleeding money and the game has little to no identity in the states. You can blame that on the economy but alot of the NHL's problems could be fixed with a commissioner that actually knows his butt from his elbow.

That has way, way more to do with the BOG (Bettman's really just their employee and the face of them) then it does the commish. Hire a new guy all you want, maybe he'd have some influence but at the end of the day the big, big things you're talking about really comes down to the BOG.

That has way, way more to do with the BOG (Bettman's really just their employee and the face of them) then it does the commish. Hire a new guy all you want, maybe he'd have some influence but at the end of the day the big, big things you're talking about really comes down to the BOG.

Its on both shoulders. The commisioner and BOG should be doing more to promote the league and the owners need to be promoting their teams. Prior to the season after Tampa won the cup, there was almost no signs about it. I think I saw 2 billboards total and almost no tv spots except during games on sunsports.

Its on both shoulders. The commisioner and BOG should be doing more to promote the league and the owners need to be promoting their teams. Prior to the season after Tampa won the cup, there was almost no signs about it. I think I saw 2 billboards total and almost no tv spots except during games on sunsports.

Exactly, when does the passing of the buck stop? What exactly is Bettman responsible for?? On a side note did anyone see the look on his face during the Centennial ceremony? :lol:

while I agree that Hockey will never match football or baseball I do think you'll find that hockey in the States has been around a lot longer than 20 or 30 years

while I agree that Hockey will never match football or baseball I do think you'll find that hockey in the States has been around a lot longer than 20 or 30 years

Outside those of the original 6, you havent seen it that far south nor really pushed. But in the 18 years the Lightning have been around, I have seen things change. There are actually local born and bred hockey fans down here. Not just the northern transplants. You arent seeing rinks as much as you would a football field or a baseball diamond, but schools have hockey teams now as well as more and more Youth and adult leagues that have formed.

Outside those of the original 6, you havent seen it that far south nor really pushed. But in the 18 years the Lightning have been around, I have seen things change. There are actually local born and bred hockey fans down here. Not just the northern transplants. You arent seeing rinks as much as you would a football field or a baseball diamond, but schools have hockey teams now as well as more and more Youth and adult leagues that have formed.

Being a Florida resident myself on the Panthers side, I agree with this.

I head to the local rinks usually around 1-2 times per week and while you have you Quebecers, New Yorkers, Michigan natives etc., there has been a slow transistion from migraters to homegrown hockey fans.

I don't think anyone ever said the process was going to happen overnight, it's a generational thing.

Ha ha ha you think there are empty seats in Detroit for Hockey,like there are for Tampa Bay Rays Baseball? now i know you really don't believe that! you must be a typical retiree (showing his senility) living his "so-called" fantasy in Disneyworld again!

Archived