The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Russia Passes On Kovalev, Names Team

Scott92

Russia passes on Kovalev, names team

kovalev-ottawa.jpg

OTTAWA - The Russian Olympic team has passed on Alexei Kovalev.

Only Senators defenceman Anton Volchenkov was selected to play for Russia when the 23-man roster was announced Friday morning.

Kovalev won't be surprised by the news he's not on the team. The 36-year-old told the Sun Tuesday he didn't feel he "had a chance" to make the squad and that team officials were going to "take the guys with more points."

The underachieving Kovalev has seven goals and 13 assists this season. He said he wouldn't mind "having the 10 days off."

The Senators will update the status of injured captain Daniel Alfredsson Saturday morning before they face the Buffalo Sabres at the HSBC Arena.

Alfredsson was wearing a left shoulder brace after the club's 8-2 loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins Wednesday. He met with club doctors on Christmas Eve.

Alfredsson is still expected to be named to the Swedish national team on Sunday.

Team Russia: Ilya Bryzgalov (Phoenix), Evgeni Nabokov (San Jose), Semyon Varlamov (Washington), Sergei Gonchar (Pittsburgh), Denis Grebeshkov (Edmonton), Dmitri Kalinin (Salavat Ufa), Konstantin Korneyev (CSKA Moscow), Andrei Markov (Montreal), Ilya Nikulin (Ak Bars Kazan), Fedor Tyutin (Columbus), Anton Vonchenkov (Ottawa) Maxim Afinogenov (Atlanta), Pavel Datsyuk (Detroit), Sergei Fedorov (Metallurg Magnitogorsk), Ilya Kovalchuk (Atlanta), Viktor Kozlov (Salavat Ufa), Evgeni Malkin (Pittsburgh), Alexei Morozov (Ak Bars Kazan), Alexander Ovechkin (Washington), Alexander Radulov (Salavat Ufa), Alexander Semin (Washington), Danis Zaripov (Ak Bars Kazan), Sergei Zinoviev (Salavat Ufa).

Source: Toronto Sun

I am honestly shocked that he got cut from the team. Although he has had a sub-par season, Kovalev is still one of the most talented hockey players to take to the ice. Motivation just has always been his problem. If he cared and gave it his all in every minute of every game, he would never get knocked off the puck.

However, I guess considering the quality of the Russians available at their disposal, not having Kovalev won't be a huge deal to them. Yet, it may play as a disadvantage in the locker room.

Kovy took it well, and he seems upset ever since leaving the Habs...come back.

I am honestly shocked that he got cut from the team. Although he has had a sub-par season, Kovalev is still one of the most talented hockey players to take to the ice. Motivation just has always been his problem. If he cared and gave it his all in every minute of every game, he would never get knocked off the puck.

However, I guess considering the quality of the Russians available at their disposal, not having Kovalev won't be a huge deal to them. Yet, it may play as a disadvantage in the locker room.

Kovalev is getting older and it could be a factor, among others. It's not the first time they ignore him from their team, so I am not surprise.

When he is on he can be very good, but when he is off, he is hurting his team more than anything. They did not pick Yashin, Frolov or Zherdev either, mainly cause they might see them as headcases. All of those players have a reputation. Radulov is a ***** in my opinion, but very talentded and young and I guess that work ethic is not a problem in his case.

The biguest surprise could be Zubov looking at their lack of depth on defense, but once again, age was most likely a factor in this case.

Oh god please no, I'll agree he is good when he wants to be, but those times are/will be more rare as he gets older, not a person you want your young rookies looking up to. As for russia passing on him can you blame them , they have so much talent to chose from why waste a spot on Kovalev.

Kovalev is getting older and it could be a factor, among others. It's not the first time they ignore him from their team, so I am not surprise.

When he is on he can be very good, but when he is off, he is hurting his team more than anything. They did not pick Yashin, Frolov or Zherdev either, mainly cause they might see them as headcases. All of those players have a reputation. Radulov is a ***** in my opinion, but very talentded and young and I guess that work ethic is not a problem in his case.

The biguest surprise could be Zubov looking at their lack of depth on defense, but once again, age was most likely a factor in this case.

I don't think Zubov has played for the national team since the '96 World Cup, but I could be mistaken.

I don't think Zubov has played for the national team since the '96 World Cup, but I could be mistaken.

I think you are correct (Wikipedia :rolleyes: ), wich is weird considering he always had 40-50 pts season between 1996-2006 (and maybe one year after as weel).

He ended up with 71 points in 2006 (Olympic year) and was a Norry trophee finalist.

I guess something happened between him and the staff.

I wish he came back to become our captain for 3 years. I'd sign him for 4M/3M/2M consecutively. After he retires here and rightfully so, gets his 27 retired to the rafters if we win a cup and then have the next "10 year" captain step in.

I wish he came back to become our captain for 3 years. I'd sign him for 4M/3M/2M consecutively. After he retires here and rightfully so, gets his 27 retired to the rafters if we win a cup and then have the next "10 year" captain step in.

retire Kovalev's sweater??? there are a ton of guys that gave it every night, wore the CH with pride and deserve their sweaters honoured way before you consider the enigma. Shutt, LaPointe, Claude Provost, Toe Blake, Tom Johnson etc..

retire Kovalev's sweater??? there are a ton of guys that gave it every night, wore the CH with pride and deserve their sweaters honoured way before you consider the enigma. Shutt, LaPointe, Claude Provost, Toe Blake, Tom Johnson etc..

I said if we win a cup. Then yes, his sweater gets retired.

If 27 were to be retired, I would sooner have it be because of Shayne Corson, not Kovy.....just sayin'.

I don't understand this snub. Kovalev has been a leader in recent years at international tournaments, he's got the veteran experience that the Russian squad will need, he's used to playing on small ice, and his skill set is still incredibly good for his age. Yes, he's slowed down and isn't the player he once was, but you can't compose your entire team of hot young snipers. You need a calming veteran presence. He was an important part of Russia's team at the last Olympics. I have a feeling that Tretiak may regret this decision.

Archived