The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Senators’ Alfredsson Injured

Scott92

Senators’ Alfredsson injured

nhl_a_dalfredsson_300.jpg

PITTSBURGH (AP)—Ottawa Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson(notes) is expected to miss at least a few weeks after injuring his left shoulder in the 8-2 loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins on Wednesday.

“I’ll probably see the doctor (Thursday) and do an X-ray and see what the damage is,” Alfredsson said after the game with his arm in a sling. “But I expect at least a few weeks.”

The Penguins’ Craig Adams(notes) hit Alfredsson while his head was down and he was battling for the puck with a Penguin in the left-wing corner, causing Alfredsson’s helmet to fly off and him to lay on the ice for a short time.

“I’m trying to reach for the puck—I don’t think I’ll ever get to it, but in the position I am in there, I’m pretty vulnerable … and he stepped into me,” Alfredsson said.

Adams wasn’t penalized, and Senators coach Cory Clouston tersely declined comment when asked what he thought of the hit and whether it should have drawn a penalty.

Alfredsson is the team’s career leader in virtually every relevant category, and the longest-serving captain in the NHL.

He leads Ottawa in points (31) and assists (22).

“(Alfredsson’s) a big loss,” Senators goalie Pascal Leclaire(notes) said. “He’s definitely our leader and a key player on our team … but we have some good guys in here. We all have to step it up a little bit.”

Source: Yahoo!Sports

Archived