The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Those Composite Sticks!

dfrancis

Is anybody else completely sick and tired of those stupid composite sticks breaking at the most crucial moments? For example, in the game against the leafs on Saturday, A. Kostitsyn was given a slashing penalty because he tried pinning the leaf player's stick, and it snapped. I don't understand why they are continually being used. I understand they are lighter, and they give you a faster shot, but is 3 mph on your shot worth it snapping in 2 on a slap shot? Wooden sticks didn't break nearly as often as these new pieces of garbage do.

Guest habs1952

A lot of slashing penalties have been handed out because the opponents stick broke when being checked. I wonder how many of those sticks were already broken before the actual "slash". The problem is you can't tell so how is the ref supposed to call a "playing with a broken stick" penalty?

So if your team is using wooden sticks, and the other using composite, wouldn't that be a problem? The only way this will be fixed is if a new rule against these sticks is put in place.

Bottom line is that it won't ever happen. The players are in love with them, and the companies want to market them from certain players. I don't have an issue with them being flexy, or adding velocity to a shot or being light, that's all great. I can't stand how damn flimsy they are though. There's usually at least 1 broken stick a game now.

Archived