The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Sheldon Souray

Kubby31

Sheldon Souray is not looking to get out of Edmonton but it appears he may be willing to leave if the Oilers decide to become sellers.

According to the Edmonton Journal, Souray is willing to waive his no-trade clause to accommodate a deal to a team that 'makes sense' for him. The Oilers are currently last in the Western Conference, 16 points out of a playoff spot.

''I wouldn't at this point hold them back from doing anything that makes the team better,'' Souray told the Journal. ''I came here with a goal (to win). You hope to try to see it out. With where we are right now it's tough to say in the next three years if we're going to see that. If it does come to the point where they ask me (to approve a trade) I wouldn't hold the team back.''

Souray is a puck-moving defenceman and power play quarterback that would garner a healthy return from a team making a run at the Stanley Cup. The 33-year-old Alberta native has two year remaining on his current contract but his no-trade clause expires on July 1.

Souray's children live with their mother in California and travel to Edmonton for regular visits so a move to the West Coast could be in the offing. The Sharks are challenging for the league lead in points, making San Jose a logical option.

The surprising Los Angeles Kings and disappointing Anaheim Ducks are both on the playoff bubble and may be in the market for Souray by the trade deadline.

The report indicates neither Souray nor his agent have been given any indication the Oilers are interested in moving him.

He'd be a great addition to someone's IR down the stretch.

:P

Perfect example of a guy who is TOO tough. Back in the 01-02 playoffs team doctors apparently told souray he should sit - he could injure himself more - but he refused. He said "its just pain."...and missed the entire 02-03 campaign. ;)

:P

Perfect example of a guy who is TOO tough. Back in the 01-02 playoffs team doctors apparently told souray he should sit - he could injure himself more - but he refused. He said "its just pain."...and missed the entire 02-03 campaign. ;)

yup, gotta be smart, not just "tough"

I was just wondering the other day what happened to him? A couple years ago he was seen as such a powerhouse, now he's just a mediocre offensive defensive playing for one of the worst teams in the nhl.

He was seen as a guy on a contract year with a career (and record breaking on the PP) season under his belt. He had never shown signs he could do that consistently. Its why bob let him walk at the price he wanted (its why bob should have sold him at trade deadline time).

I think just like guys like Ryan Smyth, Souray brings a lot of "intangibles" - tough as nails, well liked, says the right things to the media - so his value was even more inflated than just the points. he's come back down to earth, but frankly, he was never worth even close to what edmonton signed him for.

He was seen as a guy on a contract year with a career (and record breaking on the PP) season under his belt. He had never shown signs he could do that consistently. Its why bob let him walk at the price he wanted (its why bob should have sold him at trade deadline time).

I think just like guys like Ryan Smyth, Souray brings a lot of "intangibles" - tough as nails, well liked, says the right things to the media - so his value was even more inflated than just the points. he's come back down to earth, but frankly, he was never worth even close to what edmonton signed him for.

Are you sure Bob let him walk?

I had heard he gave Hamrlik the money that Sourray turned down.

There are a lot of people Bob should have traded at the deadline. If the Ducks trade Koivu at the deadline, I predict we'll be pissed off at how much he fetches.

Are you sure Bob let him walk?

I had heard he gave Hamrlik the money that Sourray turned down.

There are a lot of people Bob should have traded at the deadline. If the Ducks trade Koivu at the deadline, I predict we'll be pissed off at how much he fetches.

Well he tried to go after other guys first then made Sheldon an offer after the Briere thing fell through but apparently big Sheldon's feelings were hurt :(

Well he tried to go after other guys first then made Sheldon an offer after the Briere thing fell through but apparently big Sheldon's feelings were hurt :(

That's what I remember as well. It's too bad that didn't teach him a lesson when the exact same thing happened with Streit a couple years later...

• 3 weeks later...
If his wrist is injured, as some one alluded to, why take a chance on him at the deadline , with his big contract , knowing he might not be able to play ?

But hey I'm not GM, these guys do odd things

Sorry....meant before this recent injury..he has given the oilers a list of teams he'd accept to go to.....but yes....your right....maybe this does not help.

Archived