The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Eklund: Habs-oil Have Deal In Principle?

habsmakemeproud

Has anyone heard the rumor that the habs and edmonton have a trade worked out.

-----

edit: It's coming from Eklund. Take it with a grain of salt

Late last night I was informed by four sources from three countries (in a very short period of time between 2:00 and 2:30 am) that the Oilers and Canadiens had a deal in principle." Three of the sources felt it was done and would be announced "at any point now."

Today I have been calling around since 7:30 am to get as much info as possible, and while I don't believe the deal is 100% done yet, I do believe the two teams have worked something out that may still hinge on as one source put it..."A definitive, and highly likely circumstance occuring."

I don't have any players "on the record" but I do have some great info here. I am not certain that I will be able to get the names out before the deal actually is announced, but I hope to get a bit of a head start. If nothing else, the fact that these teams are talking at this level is indeed worthy of my continued research.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Rumo...-Closed/1/25495

Gotta love Ek.

In conclusion:

Montreal and Edmonton may have a deal which may or may not happen, depending upon a whether a definitive and highly likely circumstance happens. :blink:

Further, he has no idea of the players. He has no idea if he can get the names of the players before the deal happens. But he does know the teams have spoken.

:mellow::blink::mellow:<_<

The guy is such a joke. What a waste of time, his "great info" contains nothing. Absolutely nothing.

He basically told us that he has 4 sources in 3 different countries and that the Habs and Oilers might have had a conversation about a trade at some point. If you read between the lines, you'll also find out that he hasn't had much sleep last night.

Breaking news I guess.

I know its eklund and we all know what he is like.. but we all also love to just imagine a great trade going down making our habs better.

i think if this trade were to happen halak might go there depending on how long Khabbibulin is out for. i saw the article on it on NHL.com but never read it.i know he is having back surgery though

I know it's Ecklund but there is another rumor here that's locked. Is SK74 happy here? He's injured but it's not like Edmonton is in the playoff hunt. Maybe they have a body we could actually put out on the ice. Halak/Price is a question mark. Their goaltending situation is cloudy. I know Gainey is close with the cards but maybe someone on the Edmonton side let the marbles out of the bag. We need a right handed D desperately. They don't have much cap space but maybe they found a taker for Souray (not Montreal) to clear the way for something else.

To Montreal:

Gilbert

To Edmonton:

Spacek :lol:

And since Edmonton moving Souray cleared some cap space BG will be able to send some of our salary to them and we'll get a forward to help our smurfs. Hence we'll clear cap space too and sign Pleks. Maybe we'll trade Price and clear more space. The possibilities are endless. Go Bob Go!!!! :lol:

Edmonton Oilers goaltender Nikolai Khabibulin will have surgery in Los Angeles on Thursday to repair a herniated disc in his back.

According to The Canadian Press, he will be out indefinitely and there is no timeline for his recovery.

Khabibulin's agent Jay Grossman told The Canadian Press that the goalie will need 12 weeks to recover from surgery, leaving him a narrow window to try and return during the regular season.

The 37-year-old has put together a 7-9-2 record with a 3.03 GAA and .910 save percentage over his 18 games this season.

The veteran netminder signed as with the Oilers as an unrestricted free agent this past July.

In 13 NHL seasons Khabibulin has 306 wins and a 2.68 GAA in 696 games. He won the Stanley Cup with the Tampa Bay Lightning in 2004.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=305925

-----------

Maybe they are interested in HALAK, or Halak + Package

Halak + Bgl

For what in return, 2nd + 5th rounders?

Gotta love Ek.

In conclusion:

Montreal and Edmonton may have a deal which may or may not happen, depending upon a whether a definitive and highly likely circumstance happens. :blink:

Further, he has no idea of the players. He has no idea if he can get the names of the players before the deal happens. But he does know the teams have spoken.

:mellow::blink::mellow:<_<

I really hope he is right this time and the highly likely circumstance means Laraque drops his no-movement clause and gets traded back to Edmonton.

i was just on the edmonton message board lerking around (thats right.. im a spy) and i found out that oilers fans are interested in this deal as well. some support it and some think they should use this time to help their back up develope. the thread title was even "Halak(Hasek 2.0) to the edmonton oilers. appapently they like him.

some of the ideas they had were

Bryan Pitton + 2nd rounder for Halak

and

Pouliot + JDD(their back up) for Halak

im not too much of a fan of either deal though

Edmonton Oilers goaltender Nikolai Khabibulin will have surgery in Los Angeles on Thursday to repair a herniated disc in his back.

According to The Canadian Press, he will be out indefinitely and there is no timeline for his recovery.

Khabibulin's agent Jay Grossman told The Canadian Press that the goalie will need 12 weeks to recover from surgery, leaving him a narrow window to try and return during the regular season.

The 37-year-old has put together a 7-9-2 record with a 3.03 GAA and .910 save percentage over his 18 games this season.

The veteran netminder signed as with the Oilers as an unrestricted free agent this past July.

In 13 NHL seasons Khabibulin has 306 wins and a 2.68 GAA in 696 games. He won the Stanley Cup with the Tampa Bay Lightning in 2004.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=305925

-----------

Maybe they are interested in HALAK, or Halak + Package

Halak + Bgl

For what in return, 2nd + 5th rounders?

I'm no doctor, but I've heard that back surgery is no longer recommended, since I think it's supposed to make your back weaker. Anyone know anything about back surgery? From what I've heard about the after effects of back surgery is that he won't be able to put much stress on his back ever again which essentially means his hockey career is over.

Edmonton doesn't have anything I would be interested in except that 1st round draft choice! :D Maybe we can get that? Although, the fact that this is coming from Eklund almost assures us that nothing will come of it.

Gagner? Cogilano? even Penner, though that would likely involve AK46 heading the other way. Not to mention decent picks. I think there is something to be had here. Course, I'm not basing this on Eklund, but rather the fact that TSN reports Edmonton is going to be without their starter for pretty much the rest of the year. A goalie of that age coming off major back surgery? they may want to explore their options.

To Edmonton:

Poutine

To Montreal:

Bag of pucks

:lol:

Edmonton doesn't have anything I would be interested in except that 1st round draft choice! :D Maybe we can get that? Although, the fact that this is coming from Eklund almost assures us that nothing will come of it.

How about

To Edmonton

Price

To Montreal

Cogliano+Eberle

or

To Edmonton

Halak

To Montreal

Cogliano/Eberle

:lol:

like that would happen, but let's see what happens

maybe eklund can prove to us hes NOT full of sh*t and is right about one thing >_>

Heck if there is actually a trade happening Gainey needs to make sure he gets them to trade for BGL..

Im 99% sure this is the ONLY Team in the world, who would take BGL

Just getting BGL off the books would be a HUGE bonus

yeah, he did a lot with edmonton, maybe he could be squeezed in the deal and we can get...

CAP SPACE! :D

too bad burke isn't the GM of the oilers because...

Yes a 1st round pick from edmonton would be amazing. Two first round picks: an elite forward or defenseman and a top six forward. Imagine drafting first rounders Taylor Hall or Cam Fowler and Vladimir Tarasenko or Kirill Kabanov.

Could you imagine if we got a first rounder from the Oilers? We'd be rooting for Edmonton to finish last, while Boston would be rooting for Toronto to finish last.

A whole new dimension to the Habs-Bruins rivalry!

:lol::lol: Go Edmonton Go!

How about THIS crazy deal?

To medium.png :

• Carey Price ($2.200) - Signed through 2009-2010.
  • Georges Laraque ($1.500) - Signed through 2010-2011.
  • Sergei Kostitsyn ($0.810) - Signed through 2009-2010.
  • 3rd round draft choice (2010).

To medium.png :

true, if the best we get out of this deal was unloading BGL's cap hit, it'd still be a pretty good trade. However, I have a feeling there is more potential here. Looking at the potential we have in top 6 talent, we COULD get the Kostitsyn's off the books ( I personally like the way they've been playing lately, but I believe Pacorietty WILL be a top 6 capable forward by the end of next season. With Cammalleri and Gionta signed long term ( and playing well) and Pouloit playing well ( in limited time) it looks like 3 of the 4 winger spots are spoken for. Maybe a chance to send those guys out and make room for other players isn't a bad idea. Plus, if we could get a guy like Cogilano or maybe even Penner ( long shot, but maybe they'd want his cap hit gone).

Archived