The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Cormier Hit

ozweego

Pretty disgusting stuff. I really hope they throw the book at this kid and give him the boots from the CHL. Hopefully with no chance of returning. Until a sever enough example is made, these hits will continue to happen. Take Cormiers career away from him, just as he apparently has taken Tams.

Warning: Video is disturbing.

the hit

• cormier_patrice_big_381.jpg

Mikael Tam of the Quebec Remparts was listed in stable condition in hospital after taking an elbow to the head from Rouyn-Noranda centre Patrice Cormier, who captained Canada at the recent world junior hockey championship.

Tam went into convulsions and was taken to hospital after the hit, which occurred at 3:32 of overtime in Quebec's 3-2 shootout victory on Sunday afternoon.

The Quebec Major Junior Hockey League is reviewing the incident and will have no comment until the process is completed.

A Remparts spokesman said Tam suffered brain trauma and some damage to his teeth. He is to undergo a brain scan Monday afternoon and if it shows no deterioration in his condition, he may be cleared to leave the hospital on Tuesday.

The Remparts website is asking fans to send get well messages to the 18-year-old defenceman.

Quebec provincial police questioned witnesses at the rink after the game but no charges have been laid.

Video of the incident shows Cormier coming off the bench and heading towards Tam, who started his rush from behind the goal. Cormier caught him with the elbow near centre ice, dropping him.

Three players and a trainer rushed Tam off the ice on a stretcher.

Cormier is known as a physical player. He hammered Sweden's Anton Rodin with a similar elbow to the mouth during an exhibition game ahead of the world juniors last month.

The 19-year-old from Cap-Pele, N.B., was drafted by New Jersey in 2008 and signed a three-year entry level contract with the Devils last summer.

He was traded by the Rimouski Oceanic to Rouyn-Noranda on Jan. 7.

I think one month would be a joke. Liambas like you mentioned got a year, for a lesser hit. Not to mention he went over to the ECHL and has been subsequently suspended there for an illegal hit too.

Cormier needs to be made an example of. One year minimum at least. To lay out a player like that, induce convulsions, pretty much almost kill a guy, is just down right disgusting. This was worse then the Bertuzzi/Moore incident, and thus should be treated more severely.

I think one month would be a joke. Liambas like you mentioned got a year, for a lesser hit. Not to mention he went over to the ECHL and has been subsequently suspended there for an illegal hit too.

Cormier needs to be made an example of. One year minimum at least. To lay out a player like that, induce convulsions, pretty much almost kill a guy, is just down right disgusting. This was worse then the Bertuzzi/Moore incident, and thus should be treated more severely.

Liambas did not go to the ECHL, he went to the (very minor pro) IHL and was suspended for a questionable play there...

suspending Cormier for more than 3 or 4 months is pointless, he's 19, he wasn't coming back to the Q as an over-age player next year anyway... as soon as he's done in the Q, he'll turn pro in the AHL -- whether they 'suspend' the start of his pro career, a la Steve Downie, would remain to be seen...

the Q, to really punish Cormier, could suspend him so that he would be eligible to come back for the playoffs, then the AHL would not allow him to play in their league...

and criminal charges may still be filed...

I don't think one month would be a joke, but perhaps you are right that one month is too leniant. I think the Liambas suspension was too much in that particular incident, and his subsequent suspension in another league has little to do with THIS particular incident. I think it was easy for the OHL to make an example out of an undrafted, over-age player in his last season. I think Cormier's hit was worse, but that anything more than one or two months would be overzealous at this point in his career. Also, we know the QMJHL and OHL operate under different authority, so it will be interesting to see how the Q responds.

Just such a cowardly hit, and frankly, a confusing one. I mean the guy was right there, put your shoulder into him & lay him out! With the speed and angle Cormier had, its still going to be a solid, possibly highlight worthy hit, but the kid on the receiving end (Tam) would be able to walk away from it.

The problem goes much deeper though. I mean look at guys like Messier and Pronger - we've deified them & what they've done is, frankly no better than Cormier just did. Messier's hit on Vladimir Kovin many years back, or the one that nearly decapitated Modano spring to mind. Pronger did the same with guys like McCammond & Dasyuk.

Somehow, a guy who goes aroung wrecking knees (sammuelson) is a cheapshot artist, but a guy who uses his elbows as a weapon is a "good canadian boy"

At some point this has to be addressed, but until it does, hits like this one by Cormier will continue & while he deserves a very lengthy suspension, it will not deter others, MMW.

Pretty disgusting stuff.

Warning: Video is disturbing.

the hit

OMG.....AGREED.....found this very disturbing.....made me feel ill.....seriously....my god....lost for words here.....was so intentional.......WOW.

Hope this is dealt with extreme measures.

Hope the player that was hit recovers here.....any updates on his condition?????

I can't believe this dog was our captain for the Juniors...

+1 <_<

How many times has this happened now, with Cormier? A couple, at least, is it not? What a punk thing to do. Should be suspended for at least a full season (plus playoffs, obviously), maybe the rest of this one as well. It's always scary seeing someone having convulsions , unfortunatly, I've seen a few. I hope his parents weren't at the game (not that it REALLY matters, sucks either way, but still)....yikes, that would've been hell for them to witness first hand, know what I mean.... :( All the best to Mikael Tam ;) .

Do you know what might keep players from issuing ridiculously dirty hits? If the action more negatively affected the rest of the team! How about creating a rule whereby teams of a suspended player are forced to dress one less roster player per game for each suspended player on their roster. Thus, get issued a 5 game suspension for 'gooning' it up in a hockey game and force your team to dress only 17 skaters and 2 goaltenders in their next 5 games. THAT would keep players from being idiots. Facing a personal suspension. (Boo-hoo!) Facing your teammates after putting them at a worse disadvantage than a 5 minute major penalty. (Not so fun!)

Do you know what might keep players from issuing ridiculously dirty hits? If the action more negatively affected the rest of the team! How about creating a rule whereby teams of a suspended player are forced to dress one less roster player per game for each suspended player on their roster. Thus, get issued a 5 game suspension for 'gooning' it up in a hockey game and force your team to dress only 17 skaters and 2 goaltenders in their next 5 games. THAT would keep players from being idiots. Facing a personal suspension. (Boo-hoo!) Facing your teammates after putting them at a worse disadvantage than a 5 minute major penalty. (Not so fun!)

but what if the player is suspended for a very long period of time (which could possibly happen with Cormier), then the team would be getting an unfair punishment imo. yes, he's part of the team but i not sure if you can hold the rest of the team responsible for his actions(especially for that long)

I hope this piece of garbage never gets to play hockey again, unfortunately that won't happen. I can't believe a Canadian born player who represented Canada at the WJC and was the captain can do something like this. I hope someone teaches him a lesson when comes back to play because its not the first time he does this, ridiculous how he can stick his elbow out when a player is skating full stride. Disgusting!

Guest habs1952

As far as I'm concerned criminal charges need to filed in instances such as this. Give these goons a criminal record and hopefully they won't be able to work in the US thus ending their careers. This incident was so sickening.

Here's his "hit" from the world juniors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hzeOhL8_9g

Sad that this piece of garbage was allowed to represent Canada and as captain.

Mental issues

WOW

--

He should be suspended with out pay from Ahl/Nhl for 1 full season for both of these hits, man is going to continue to do this. Let him learn his lesson by not playing hockey for 1 year

Here's his "hit" from the world juniors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hzeOhL8_9g

Sad that this piece of garbage was allowed to represent Canada and as captain.

Oh man! <_< What is wrong with this guy?

but what if the player is suspended for a very long period of time (which could possibly happen with Cormier), then the team would be getting an unfair punishment imo. yes, he's part of the team but i not sure if you can hold the rest of the team responsible for his actions(especially for that long)

THAT'S exactly the point. :rolleyes: To curb unjust hits in the league by handing out severe punishment against the player AND club. Who would do what Cormier did if they knew it was going affect his team so badly? These players get a free pass because their actions (outside of an on-ice penalty) face no repurcussions in front of their peers/teammates. What if they did? I bet that would stop teams from employing Colton Orr-style goons, and assist keeping Cormier-style cheapshots away from the game. I'm not talking, necessarily, at the NHL level, but at the Junior level I think this could be useful.

Archived