The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Trade Deadline Discussion

Kubby31

If montreal wants to be a top contender, they need to obtain a top 6 forward, without giving up our prospects, or draft picks,

Im not good with players and knowing how they would operate, but we all know the jackpot of this years Trade deadline lottery is Ilya Kovalchuk, but i say the canadiens are FAR from what we can afford,with the Little 3 taking a BIG part of or cap space

If montreal wants to be a top contender, they need to obtain a top 6 forward, without giving up our prospects, or draft picks,

Im not good with players and knowing how they would operate, but we all know the jackpot of this years Trade deadline lottery is Ilya Kovalchuk, but i say the canadiens are FAR from what we can afford,with the Little 3 taking a BIG part of or cap space

Do you really think that the Thrashers want to trade him within the same conference?

If we somehow manage to get Kovalchuk.. wow :blink:

when 46 gets back i like our top 2 lines alot, if we want to do anything in the playoffs if we make it our defense needs to be shored up

to Thrashers: Carey Price, Andrei Kostitsyn, Sergie Kostitsyn,Jaroslav Spacek,Danny Kristo,Max Pacioretty,David Fischer and 2010 first round pick, and a conditional 2011 first round pick if Kovalchuk resigns with Montreal.

to Canadians: Ilya Kovalchuk,Colby Armstrong

Montreal Canadiens 2009-10 Roster:

Ilya Kovalchuk(6.4M)-Tomas Plekanec(2.75m)-Cammalleri(6M) ~15M

Benoit Pouliot(.6M)-Scott Gomez(7.3M)-Gionta(5M) ~13M

Colby Armstrong(2.4m)-Metropolit(1M)-Moen(1.5M) ~5M

Tom Pyatt(.7m)-Maxim Lapierre(.7m)- Mathieu Darche(.7m) ~3

Laraque(1.5m offer a team a pick to take him or send him down to the minors)

~37.5m

Markov(5.75M)-Gorges(1M) ~ 7m

Roman Hamrlik(5.5m)-Mara(1.5M)- ~ 7M

Gill(2.25M)-O'Byrne(.95M) ~ 3.2m

~17M

Halak(.775m)

Cedrick Desjardins(.5m)

~1.5M

total=$56M

to Thrashers: Carey Price, Andrei Kostitsyn, Sergie Kostitsyn,Jaroslav Spacek,Danny Kristo,Max Pacioretty,David Fischer and 2010 first round pick, and a conditional 2011 first round pick if Kovalchuk resigns with Montreal.

to Canadians: Ilya Kovalchuk,Colby Armstrong

Montreal Canadiens 2009-10 Roster:

Ilya Kovalchuk(6.4M)-Tomas Plekanec(2.75m)-Cammalleri(6M) ~15M

Benoit Pouliot(.6M)-Scott Gomez(7.3M)-Gionta(5M) ~13M

Colby Armstrong(2.4m)-Metropolit(1M)-Moen(1.5M) ~5M

Tom Pyatt(.7m)-Maxim Lapierre(.7m)- Mathieu Darche(.7m) ~3

Laraque(1.5m offer a team a pick to take him or send him down to the minors)

~37.5m

Markov(5.75M)-Gorges(1M) ~ 7m

Roman Hamrlik(5.5m)-Mara(1.5M)- ~ 7M

Gill(2.25M)-O'Byrne(.95M) ~ 3.2m

~17M

Halak(.775m)

Cedrick Desjardins(.5m)

~1.5M

total=$56M

Look, this roster has its issues, like a top six that's almost laughable, but the major issue with aquiring Kovy is about next season. He only costs 6.4 million now, but he's apparently expecting a major salary increase for next season. Not only would we not be able to resign Kovy, but we'll have trouble filling that top six spot when we'd already have to resign Pouliot, Halak, and others, who will be expecting a raise as well. So we'd be letting Kovy go, and we'd have just traded away a lot of our future. No more Price, no more AK46, other prospects and young players gone, along with a draft pick that would most likely be top 10 with how our defense looks.

I'd suggest giving up on Kovy. He isn't what we're looking for, and he's got too high a price tag, in terms of salary cap and what it'd take to trade for him.

Look, this roster has its issues, like a top six that's almost laughable, but the major issue with aquiring Kovy is about next season. He only costs 6.4 million now, but he's apparently expecting a major salary increase for next season. Not only would we not be able to resign Kovy, but we'll have trouble filling that top six spot when we'd already have to resign Pouliot, Halak, and others, who will be expecting a raise as well. So we'd be letting Kovy go, and we'd have just traded away a lot of our future. No more Price, no more AK46, other prospects and young players gone, along with a draft pick that would most likely be top 10 with how our defense looks.

I'd suggest giving up on Kovy. He isn't what we're looking for, and he's got too high a price tag, in terms of salary cap and what it'd take to trade for him.

yes, agreed. IMO, we shoud aquire a real top 4 dman that can skate

Of course we can make room for Kovalchuk by trading away Hamrlik's $5.5million cap hit as well as other players like Mara, Gill, etc.... What laughable top six player are you referring to? We'll have 2 amazing first and second scoring lines which will pretty much guarantee us several points a game . With this line up we are cup contenders. Kovalchuk is exactly who we need, and those players (Price,Kostitsyns, etc) we're trading are exactly who we don't need. And the first pick we're trading away will be worthless after getting Kovalchuk.

Of course we can make room for Kovalchuk by trading away Hamrlik's $5.5million cap hit as well as other players like Mara, Gill, etc.... What laughable top six player are you referring to? We'll have 2 amazing first and second scoring lines which will pretty much guarantee us several points a game . With this line up we are cup contenders. Kovalchuk is exactly who we need, and those players (Price,Kostitsyns, etc) we're trading are exactly who we don't need. And the first pick we're trading away will be worthless after getting Kovalchuk.

when 46 gets back i like our top 2 lines alot, if we want to do anything in the playoffs if we make it our defense needs to be shored up

I would not say no to a defenseman, but at the same time, it would be nice to get at least one forward who could play on the third, and step in on our top 6 when somebody goes down. I agree our top 6 is good (on paper) when everybody is healthy, but that did not happen this season and we saw how bad we lacked the depth.

I am not talking about a huge name, Colby Amstrong comes to mind.

I still think we need a true number 1 center that can feed Cammy on a regular basis and fill a spot that this team has needed for far too long. Unless we can sign Plecs we'll have a big hole in the top 6 at the end of the season.

The defense needs a complete overhaul however. Gill, Mara and co. should be packaged in a deal or sold off for draft picks.

Who would you give for Phaneuf?

you need at LEAST one good scorer, a prospect, and probably a first or second pick...

Calgary sure are in a funk. I wonder when Mr. Sutter will hit the panic button. Phaneuf is probably of interest to many teams. Sorry Calgary but you can't have Cam back! ;)

Archived