The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Phaneuf Traded To Toronto

roy_133

Well, you'll see him more often ;)

I still can't believe it, didn't Burke want offense?

He wants (and needs) both. Toronto has the worst team defense (Goals Against) and the worst penalty killing in the League. They don't have the worst offense.

Hagman and Stajan are UFA after this season.

Phaneuf has worn out his welcome in Calgary.

Calgary defintely needs offense.

All makes sense.

I'm surprise Burke doesn't want BG. He wants a team of tough guys.
Seems you've answered your own question. BGL is no longer a tough guy.

RDS adds that J-S Giguere would be joining the leafs too

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/291818.html

..wow

The end of Toskala in Toronto, then.

Dion is overrated no question but he still brings somethings to the table like a booming shot and a physical game. I had heard the rumors that he's a problem in the room and that may be why Calgary is dealing him.

Offensively and probably defensively White has been the superior player this season, he's an underrated guy and they're about the same age I believe. I don't mind this trade from TO and I don't mind it from Calgary.

If Toronto gets Giggy lol that's a fail. Unless they get a good pick back with him.

He wants (and needs) both. Toronto has the worst team defense (Goals Against) and the worst penalty killing in the League. They don't have the worst offense.

All makes sense.

Seems you've answered your own question. BGL is no longer a tough guy.

BGL wasn't allowed to be a tough guy anymore. That would change with Burke. How about sending Orr, Laracque, Rosehill on the ice. How would that be for intimidation?

All makes sense.

hm, toronto have around 30m invested in defence at the moment. it might be the end of kaberle in toronto, as well.

It makes sense in that Calgary needed more forwards because after Iginla and Jokinen who have both been struggling lately their forwards are mostly so-so players, those two are the only ones that could reasonably be expected to put up anywhere near 30 goals in a season. In this trade all they've done is traded away one of their top 3 defencemen who is probably one of the better ones in the league even if he is struggling this year to get more of what they had, I will be shocked if Hagman, Stajan and Mayers turn Calgary around, I think the only real decent pick up in this trade for Calgary is White.

Dion is overrated no question but he still brings somethings to the table like a booming shot and a physical game. I had heard the rumors that he's a problem in the room and that may be why Calgary is dealing him.

Offensively and probably defensively White has been the superior player this season, he's an underrated guy and they're about the same age I believe. I don't mind this trade from TO and I don't mind it from Calgary.

If Toronto gets Giggy lol that's a fail. Unless they get a good pick back with him.

giggy and 1st for kaberle?

It makes sense in that Calgary needed more forwards because after Iginla and Jokinen who have both been struggling lately their forwards are mostly so-so players, those two are the only ones that could reasonably be expected to put up anywhere near 30 goals in a season. In this trade all they've done is traded away one of their top 3 defencemen who is probably one of the better ones in the league even if he is struggling this year to get more of what they had, I will be shocked if Hagman, Stajan and Mayers turn Calgary around, I think the only real decent pick up in this trade for Calgary is White.

Stajan is a UFA but Hagman is signed to a good contract and I've heard a lot of people say the difference between White and Dion isn't that significant.

Offensively and probably defensively White has been the superior player this season, he's an underrated guy and they're about the same age I believe.

FWIW

The talk on the local radio stations is that Ian White's number this year are inflated because he is playing in opportunities that he not normally would be due to injuries - kinda like MAB here

If that makes sense

I guess they ( the Leafs ) don't think he is as good as he has been this year

Whatever I think the trade is good for the Leafs D - but the O takes a hit - unless they have plans in the summer to go after that guy in Atlanta

They needed a goalie more than Phaneuf and had cap space ( I would guess).

giggy and 1st for kaberle?

That wouldn't be enough for Kaberle (and Tomas has a NTC). Giggy has negative value because of his contract and performance. Kaberle is a great player.

Giggy and a very good pick for Toskala (expiring contract) does make sense.

FWIW

The talk on the local radio stations is that Ian White's number this year are inflated because he is playing in opportunities that he not normally would be due to injuries - kinda like MAB here

If that makes sense

Whatever I think the trade is good for the Leafs D - but the O takes a hit - unless they have plans in the summer to go after that guy in Atlanta

If the Giggy rumors are true they just added 2 guys over a 6 mill cap hit so that would be next to impossible, wouldn't it?

The trade isn't bad for the Leafs, Dion is good just not what people thought he would be. He could be maybe a better Souray but people though when he was 21 he would be Scott Stevens which he isn't and won't touch. I don't hate this move from TO or Calgary but I'm interested to see the Giggy deal.

FWIW

If that makes sense

I think "The Builder" tittle should go to Burke and not Bob

Niklas Hagman, Matt Stajan, Jamal Mayers and Ian White....

We could come up with a better trade than this to get Phaneuf?

That's a significant package of players, who do you compare on our team to guys like Hagman, Stajan and White? Also Dion has a huge cap hit.

Are you kidding me?!!! :blink::huh::unsure:

Ya know something....As much as I HATE the Leafs...and as much as I HATE Burke...as least he's doing something. Hey Bob, take notes! We couldn't have offered something more attractive to Calgary?! Wow. Ridiculous. :angry:

Atta boy Bob, keep up the great work! <_<

Oh yeah, I forgot, your boy wonder , Carey Price, is gonna carry/lead us all the way to the promised land. :rolleyes:

Archived