The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Ilya Kovalchuk

Guest NvidiaN

Guest NvidiaN

I don't see a thread anywhere for this, and it's a pretty big topic, as no name as big as his has ever been on the market as a potential free agent as I can tell. I imagine the whole situation is acting as a black cloud over the team, leading to their recent fall in the Eastern Conference, and that they'd like to resolve it soon.

I've also read on the NHL website, that he (Kovy) has turned down every offer made to him thus far, but that both he and the organization, are being ultra tight lipped about it.

What's going to happen? I'd imagine that if they trade him, they're a dead franchise and would soon be moved (if all the rumors about the potentiality of a team being moved soon are true). I also imagine that there's not many places who can afford him/have the resources to send back to ATL to make it a fair trade.

Discuss.

Guest NvidiaN

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=515802

Expect to see Kovalchuk on the move soon

02.03.2010 / 10:41 a.m. ET

Don't be surprised if Thrashers captain Ilya Kovalchuk is traded soon, and by that we mean before the Olympics. Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal Constitution reported Tuesday in his blog that trade talks have heated up in the last few days.

Also Tuesday, John Kincade of 680 the Fan in Atlanta, the Thrashers' flagship radio station, reported the club had offered Kovalchuk the largest contract in franchise history, but it was turned down.

It is believed that the Kings, Rangers, Flyers and Bruins are high on the list of suitors for the Russian sniper who is Atlanta's all-time leader in games, points, goals and assists. The Blackhawks are reportedly interested as well.

Kovalchuk reportedly ducked the media after Tuesday's 2-1 loss to Tampa Bay, dressing and leaving the locker room before it was opened to the press. Thrashers coach John Anderson had this to say about the swirling trade rumors:

"Quite honestly, Don (Waddell) and Kovalchuk have kept the negotiations behind closed doors. Kovalchuk comes out and plays every day. All of the stuff bothers him a little, but he's a professional and is playing hard for the Atlanta Thrashers right now."

When he was in New Jersey on Sunday, Atlanta GM Don Waddell told NHL.com that he wasn't doing any more interviews about Kovalchuk's status. He apparently reiterated that to Vivlamore, who wrote that Waddell did tell him that he hasn't had any contract negotiations with Kovalchuk's agent, Jay Grossman, in over a week.

The NHL roster freeze goes into effect at 11:59 p.m. ET on Feb. 12 and doesn't end until 11:59 p.m. ET on Feb. 28. The trade deadline is 3 p.m. ET on March 3.

-- Dan Rosen

I don't see a thread anywhere for this, and it's a pretty big topic, as no name as big as his has ever been on the market as a potential free agent as I can tell. I imagine the whole situation is acting as a black cloud over the team, leading to their recent fall in the Eastern Conference, and that they'd like to resolve it soon.

I've also read on the NHL website, that he (Kovy) has turned down every offer made to him thus far, but that both he and the organization, are being ultra tight lipped about it.

What's going to happen? I'd imagine that if they trade him, they're a dead franchise and would soon be moved (if all the rumors about the potentiality of a team being moved soon are true). I also imagine that there's not many places who can afford him/have the resources to send back to ATL to make it a fair trade.

Discuss.

I think there is a thread somewhere called Kovalchuk rumour already.

RDS reports that Don Waddell met Ilya Kovalchuk today and told him to expect a trade in the coming days. Now it's on.

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/292060.html

Don Waddell stated the bruins and the Rangers are in the race for him... DAMN IT! :(

This team should be stacked by now

1) They received a TON for Hossa

2) They will now receive a TON for kovalchuck

3) They constantly SUCK, So have good Draft choices.

Hard to beleive they continue to stink it up year after year...

Im sure they will have there day soon

If there is a Halak thread with 400 posts, then there ought to be a decent discussion about Ilya.

I guess the article saying Rangers and Bruins being the frontrunners kinda makes sense a little.

Rangers could offer Jokinen, Grachev, Callahan and Prust or something like that. Some immediate help in Jokinen and Callahan and long term help in Grachev.

Nah, they seem like one of the most poorly run teams in the league. What did they get for Hossa again? Angelo Esposito and Colby Armstrong? Yawn. I'm sure Waddel will just get ripped off again in his dealings with Kovalchuk. It will be praised as an awesome deal when it happens, and then Atlanta will continue to be a 8th - 13th team for years and years and years.

Nah, they seem like one of the most poorly run teams in the league. What did they get for Hossa again? Angelo Esposito and Colby Armstrong? Yawn. I'm sure Waddel will just get ripped off again in his dealings with Kovalchuk. It will be praised as an awesome deal when it happens, and then Atlanta will continue to be a 8th - 13th team for years and years and years.

They also got a first-round pick out of that Hossa deal, and even though Pittsburgh ended up doing well it's still not terrible for a rental that wasn't going to re-up with the team. I suspect that it'll be something similar for Kovalchuk, more of a future considerations type of thing.

In any case, you'd have to think that they've got to come on at some point. They most be run pretty terribly, because you'd think that even the worst-run team would be better than they are with Kovy and all those draft picks. Not to mention they lucked into Peverly, who's been pretty much a PPG, off waivers.

Guest NvidiaN

The thing I don't understand, is when Kovalchuk makes statements like this:

"I'm the player and my job is to go on the ice and play hard. We are all professionals. I've worked here for eight years and hopefully I will stay but you know it's a business and you never know what's going to happen."

"You don't want to be a distraction. We are in a playoff race and we are only one point from the playoffs."

"That's why we have agents. They talk to management. Hopefully, we are going to figure something out."

If he wanted to sign that badly, he'd do it. I just don't get it. What does he want? His being a distraction is clearly to blame (from my POV) for the teams struggles over the past month.

If he wanted to sign that badly, he'd do it. I just don't get it. What does he want? His being a distraction is clearly to blame (from my POV) for the teams struggles over the past month.

He's just "saying all the right things" so he leaves Atalnta like the hero that he is. Not the first player to talk like this (I wanna stay but it is a business blah blah) and won't be the last. ;)

Hopefully, he will distract the Thrashers right out of playoff contention!

Guest NvidiaN

I wonder if this means they're done for the season, or if they'll be better off because they'll get some serious quantity back who can help now, thus strengthening their team overall/improving their shot at the playoffs.

RDS reports that Don Waddell met Ilya Kovalchuk today and told him to expect a trade in the coming days. Now it's on.

I think they gave a ton for Tkachuk.

Bottom line is that they stink

To be honest I'd rather see him stay there and make the playoffs so Atlanta can build a fan base.

I could not give a rats butt about hockey in the South. I can't wait for this stupid exercise to end and having teams returning to Quebec, Winnipeg and ......

I don't need hockey to be accepted more than Baseball to be a Hockey fan

I could not give a rats butt about hockey in the South. I can't wait for this stupid exercise to end and having teams returning to Quebec, Winnipeg and ......

I don't need hockey to be accepted more than Baseball to be a Hockey fan

Nothing more depressing than watching the Habs play in Tampa Bay or Atlanta where the arena is full of empty seats everywhere. But once again, everybody has to bow down to the all mighty american dollar and we keep trying to expand hockey ! I also am fed up of that crap! There should have been NHL hockey in Hamilton and I do hope it ends up back in Winnipeg and Quebec. Mr. Bettman is a joke as far as I'm concerned.

Archived