The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Gainey Stepping Down. News Conference At 4pm

newton-mtl

According to TSN's Bob McKenzie, there's a rumour of Gainey stepping down. TSN reports that The Montreal Canadiens have called a news conference for 4pm et/1pm pt where president Pierre Boivin will make 'an important announcement regarding the club's hockey management.'

I have edited your title because TSN and RDS are now reporting it as "official."

Pierre Gauthier will take over on an interim basis.

According to TSN's Bob McKenzie, there's a rumour of Gainey stepping down. TSN reports that The Montreal Canadiens have called a news conference for 4pm et/1pm pt where president Pierre Boivin will make 'an important announcement regarding the club's hockey management.'

RDS is reporting it too.

Maybe there gonna do the shuffle i have a feeling Martin is going to be the GM and Gainey is steping down, or moving up.

All i know is i HOPE this removes Martin from coaching as well, since his system seems to have been making gainey look bad so he can be GM!

The Montreal Canadiens have called a news conference for 4pm et/1pm pt where president Pierre Boivin will make 'an important announcement regarding the club's hockey management.'

The Canadiens are 28-26-6 this season and are sixth in the Eastern Conference standings.

Details to follow.

as per TSN

RDS is reporting it too.

Maybe there gonna do the shuffle i have a feeling Martin is going to be the GM and Gainey is steping down, or moving up.

All i know is i HOPE this removes Martin from coaching as well, since his system seems to have been making gainey look bad so he can be GM!

god nooooo! Look at what JM did with the panthers as a gm, imo he's just as bad as BG...

But i do like the idea of seeing guy boucher getting a shot as head coach

Whats 1 more untimely decision? Should of been done at the beginning of the season, or at the end of this one. But now we have another big distraction for the team. He blew things up over the summer, and all it did is make us worse as a team.

And yeah. The former GM panther as GM here? Sigh.... Because he did so much for their organization

and then people wonder why GM's are allowed to buy crazy contracts and lock them in for 5 years all in a 24 hour spending spree. 5 year plan = 24 hour plan B, same thing, same result.

My only hope is a new GM will NEVER allow UFA's to walk at years end. In other words, you should try actually "working" during the season at signing your team Bob, and then you wouldn;t be in this predicament.

Well, I guess its better late then never, which seemed to have been the Habs stance for the past 3 years. If we are getting a new GM, at least it is before the Trade deadline. Plus, with the Olympic break, the new GM can better familiarize himself with the team and what changes can and need to be done.

if gainey is stepping down, I'd remind people of the old proverb : Be careful what you wish for. Gainey inherited a horrible team, and to the best of my knowledge we missed the playoffs once. We have finished 1st in the conference during that time, and are currently 6th in the conference despite having KEY players miss large portions of the season. You think it can't get worst? Very nervous about this. If Martin is named GM the only potential good thing is maybe we get in a head coach that is more keyed towards speed.

Well, I guess its better late then never, which seemed to have been the Habs stance for the past 3 years. If we are getting a new GM, at least it is before the Trade deadline. Plus, with the Olympic break, the new GM can better familiarize himself with the team and what changes can and need to be done.

Yea thank god its before the trade deadline. Gainey probably would have traded our first round pick for Mathiue Schneider .

Seems odd to get a promotion without really earning it (Martin). While it also seems to odd to hold onto a job without really doing it (Gainey). We have a very unusual situation here in Montreal. Too bad we couldn't rid ourselves of both of them, or at least switch them out with the Bulldogs staff...

<sigh> <heavy sigh>

If Mr. Gainey steps down I sure won't be romping around rejoicing. I'll try to understand the reasoning and respect his decision. In reality this man is not far removed from losing a child. His life since then I'll conjecture has been a rollercoaster of highs and lows with the lows being the lowest they can go and the highs being not very close to the highest at all. I feel so sorry for the man. I really do.

As others have eluded to, I get the feeling like he was perhaps "asked nicely" to step down. If that was the case, yet another extremely classy move by the habs - much nicer to let someone leave "on their own" rather than just publicly firing them.

Good luck to Gainey. He will always remain a top hab in my books...im sorry things didnt work out for him as GM here...but I just dont think he's ever been able to adapt to the realities of the Salary-Cap NHL.

I also think its tough when you get a guy like Gainey (or carbo etc) that bled bleu-blanc-and-rouge and left everything on the ice, running things. I get the feeling like they expect the same from all their players & are shocked when it doesnt happen.

Archived