The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Eklund: Habs, Oilers, Stars Deal In Principal

NickThaHitman42

Been chasing the Montreal Rumor for several days now. an here is what I have.

IMPORTANT TO NOTE:These players/deals are not intended to be complete in any way and are based on a few sources who have their ear to the ground in a few cities.

On the Montreal/Edmonton/Dallas...

To Montreal: Cogliano, Brunnstrom, Smid and Dallas #2 2010, #1 2011.

To Dallas: Grebeshkov, Horcoff, another prospect player from Edmonton and Montreal's 3 in 2010.

To Edmonton: Price. Richards, a Habs Prospect, a Stars #2 next season.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/-Yze...-RUMORS/1/26480

ahh eklund... the lulz of the hockey world

what do you guys think? would the canadiens be smart/stupid enough to do this?

So Montreal gives up Price, a 3rd and a prospect for Cogliano, Brunnstrom, Smid, A 1st and a 2nd.

They would be lucky to get a 1st and a roster player for Price this year (12-22 :blink: ) so it seems like a fair return for Montreal actually since they dont have to give up much beside Price.

Think Toskala and Bell for a 1st 2nd and 4th between Toronto and SJ, Price is a 1A/1B goalie (not a pure #1 yet) which is what Toskala seemed to be when he was traded.

I would seriously consider this if it was actually offered, though Edmonton does come out much better and Dallas gets fleeced so it is obviously *****.

So Montreal gives up Price, a 3rd and a prospect for Cogliano, Brunnstrom, Smid, A 1st and a 2nd.

They would be lucky to get a 1st and a roster player for Price this year (12-22 :blink: ) so it seems like a fair return for Montreal actually since they dont have to give up much beside Price.

Think Toskala and Bell for a 1st 2nd and 4th between Toronto and SJ, Price is a 1A/1B goalie (not a pure #1 yet) which is what Toskala seemed to be when he was traded.

I would seriously consider this if it was actually offered, though Edmonton does come out much better and Dallas gets fleeced so it is obviously *****.

Cogliano, Brunnstrom and Smid are basically crap, the picks are nice but that's about all. Also Toksala wasn't 22 at the time of the trade which would be Price's value obviously, his potential (although the goaltending market is much more depressed today). I think the odds of us getting a fair market value deal for either goalie is basically zero but we have enough crap like that filling our 3rd and 4th line.

Also... I don't see how this deal is bad for Montreal. There are no available superstars out there to trade for. So, if people are expecting that Montreal should acquire Alexander Ovechkin for Price... Well, it's not going to happen. Brunnstrom, Cogliano, and Smid are all valueable prospects with about six seasons of combined experience. They might not be tearing it up like other highly touted prospects when they first entered the league, but no one ever expected them to. Not that this deal is going to happen, but just in theory, Montreal giving up Price, a prospect, and a 3rd round draft choice for Cogliano, Brunnstrom, Smid, a 2nd rounder, and a 1st rounder, is not a bad deal for Montreal.

Cogliano is regressing and it's a big concern, I would say he's basically on the fringe of being completely useless, Brunnstrom is 25 and in and out of the lineup showing little promise and Smid is relatively serviceable but nothing special and doomed to that kind of career. It's basically just more bodies, crap. I'd rather have a couple of mid round picks then those guys in all likelihood.

It's not about getting Ovechkin for Price or Halak for that matter, but those players are crap. Replace them with a 2nd and a 3rd and I'd be a whole lot happier.

Also... I don't see how this deal is bad for Montreal. There are no available superstars out there to trade for. So, if people are expecting that Montreal should acquire Alexander Ovechkin for Price... Well, it's not going to happen. Brunnstrom, Cogliano, and Smid are all valueable prospects with about six seasons of combined experience. They might not be tearing it up like other highly touted prospects when they first entered the league, but no one ever expected them to. Not that this deal is going to happen, but just in theory, Montreal giving up Price, a prospect, and a 3rd round draft choice for Cogliano, Brunnstrom, Smid, a 2nd rounder, and a 1st rounder, is not a bad deal for Montreal.

Who said Price is going to be traded anyway? If you thought Price was Gainey's golden boy, I would like you to meet Mr Pierre Gauthier the Director of Professional Scouting, before becoming GM. It was Mr Gauthier and his team of scouts including Trevor Timmins that advised Gainey that Price would be the guy to go for.

MMW Price stays.

So Dallas gives up:

Richards

Brunnstrom

#1 pick

#2 pick

#2 pick (another one)

And gets:

Grebeshkov

Horcoff

Edmonton Prospect

#3 pick

Unless that prospect is the next Ovechkin, this isn't close to a fair deal for them

lol yeah it's absolutely hilarious from a Dallas perspective and we don't even have the 3rd rounder they're supposed to be getting. Think they'd settle for a 4th?

Archived