The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Trade Deadline 09-10

fourtrax

Hey gang,

This thread will remain open a few days past the actual deadline to allow full discussion of all the deals that do or don't go down.

Official 2010 NHL TRADE DEADLINE: Wednesday, MARCH 3rd @ 3:00PM EST

----- One of the most important day of the year is nearly here.

-----------------------------

NHL trade deadline: Q & A (updated with 2010 info)

How is a trade made?
After two clubs have come to an agreement on a trade, the clubs must advise the League office, either by telephone or by FAX, of the terms of the trade. The League office then schedules a conference call with the two teams to review the transaction and give final approval for the deal. Prior to the trade call, the League office will ensure that the team has the appropriate salary cap space to make the deal; if draft choices are involved, that the club has the available choices; and that the team has available space on its reserve list to add the player (s). It should be noted that the 23-man roster restriction is no longer in force from March 3rd on.

On the trade call, the League will a) review the terms of the player contracts and ensure that teams are aware of their respective obligations to the player (s) involved; B) ensure that, should a player have a no-trade clause, that the player has waived that right; and c) ensure that any conditions to consummation of the transaction have been clearly defined and agreed upon.

The trade becomes official after the trade call has taken place.

What if a player involved in a transaction has a "no-trade" clause?
No-trade clauses can vary from player to player. For example, a player may have a list of teams that he has agreed to be traded to. The League requires written documentation from the player that he has waived his no-trade clause. If applicable, the documentation must also stipulate which teams the player has agreed it is permissible for him to be traded to.

Can a trade take place after the 3:00 P.M. ET deadline on March 3rd, 2010?
Trade calls may take place after the 3:00 p.m. deadline but the League must have been advised of any and all transactions, including the specific details, prior to 3:00 p.m. It is not unusual that a number of trades are agreed to between the clubs just before 3:00 p.m. However, due to the volume of trades occurring just prior to the deadline, the League may not be able to conduct the actual trade call until after 3:00 p.m. There are five League officials that conduct trade calls and calls may last anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes depending on the complexity of the deal.

How is a player's salary charged against a team's salary cap when a trade is made at the deadline?
The salary that is charged against a team's cap is the pro rated amount remaining of the player's average yearly salary. For example, if a player has an average yearly salary of $2 million, the amount charged against the acquiring team's cap is the pro-rated amount remaining of $2 million.

This is calculated by dividing $2 million by the number of days in the season (187). The amount ($10,695) is then multiplied by the number of days remaining in the season from the day the trade is made (41 days if trade is on deadline day) to ascertain the amount charged against the team's cap ($438,502).

http://habsinsideout.com/main/3970

-----------

Important Links (click on logo):

2mdgxe1.jpg sportsnet.jpg Picture_1_bigger.jpg

d8f3230c-4be3-4570-a5b6-b8e2a2c95947.gif moton934.jpgimgtfplg.gif

& for entertainment purposes: www.hockeybuzz.com

Twitter accounts to follow:

(If you have any suggestions, feel free to say it, so they can be added.)

Hey guys,

We decided to post this topic in the main Habs area because there is so much trade talk that could potentially affect the Habs (whether directly or indirectly) that we feel it's more convenient for everyone if all trade talk happens here. This is an exception to our general policy of keeping Habs and non-Habs content separate.

So the Flames re-signed Stajan to a 4 year deal with a Cap hit of 3.5M per year? I wonder what impact that may have on the Plekanec negotiations...

the fact that talks are underway is awesome

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but my main hope for this trade deadline isn't "do the right thing", it's "don't do the wrong thing". If no move is made, I won't necessarily be happy, but I won't be seriously dissapointed, which is a good thing.

Note: Please no more rentals, unless of course the idea is to have as little a chance as possible to show how ineffective our prospect development is by trading away draft picks. We're not a playoff team, so rentals certainly won't make us contenders.

I think it might be right for Gauthier to make a big move. A healthy Montreal could go a few rounds, and why not, in his first year, get to the playoffs? And it could set up a better team for a healthy next year, there are some guys that will go that would be worth a try in Montreal.

Of course, I do think above all else, sign Plekanec, I would take no trade over signing him

I think it might be right for Gauthier to make a big move. A healthy Montreal could go a few rounds, and why not, in his first year, get to the playoffs? And it could set up a better team for a healthy next year, there are some guys that will go that would be worth a try in Montreal.

Of course, I do think above all else, sign Plekanec, I would take no trade over signing him

Pleck should have been signed already or on is way to be traded, but it looks like we will gamble once again. Hopefully we can sign him back, but if not, it will be another UFA who will walk for nothing.

Benoit Pouliot needs to be sign for more than one year this summer (he is an RFA), cause if not, we might make the same mistake we did with Pleck and others.

I don't mind moving for an RFA and/or a young player, but not for a pure rental, unless we could move some $$ in the process, which is not likely. Sellers want picks and/or prospects, most of the time.

I would move Price for the right deal, but if it's not there, just wait at the draft. Maybe move one defenseman but I am not sure we will find a taker, considering the salary cap.

i personally would move hamrlik. he's getting old, he's taking up cap space and we have too many young defensemen in the minors who are ready for the NHL

Could be easier to do next season considering his price tag, since he will be a UFA in 2010-2011. Maybe in the summer, but I doubt we can move him at the deadline.

If not, you need to find a team looking for a defenseman (there are a lot of those), but with the cap space (not a lot for 5,5M) and the will to spend (teams with cap space at this point of the season, probably work with their own salary cap, wich is lower than the real one).

Thrashers land Artyukhin from Ducks

Monday, 03.01.2010 / 9:23 PM / 2010 NHL Trade Deadline NHL.com.

The Atlanta Thrashers acquired forward Evgeny Artyukhin from the Anaheim Ducks on Monday night in exchange for defenseman Nathan Oystrick and a conditional draft choice in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.

Artyukhin, 26, had 9 points (5 goals, 4 assists) in 37 games this season. The 6-foot-4, 255-pound right wing set career highs in games played (73), goals (6) and penalty minutes (151) in 2008-09 with the Tampa Bay Lightning. Overall, he has 42 points (14 goals, 28 assists) and 282 penalty minutes in 182 games between Anaheim and Tampa Bay. He was drafted by the Lightning in the third round (No. 94) in the 2001 Entry Draft.

Oystrick, 27, had 23 points (7 goals, 16 assists) and a plus-6 rating in 41 games with the Chicago Wolves in the American Hockey League this season. He appeared in 53 games with the Thrashers during his rookie season in 2008-09, notching 12 points (4 goals, 8 assists).

The 6-foot, 205-pound defenseman has 114 points (37 goals, 77 assists) in 203 career AHL games with the Wolves. Oystrick was selected by the Thrashers in the seventh round (No. 198) of the 2002 Entry Draft.

i personally would move hamrlik. he's getting old, he's taking up cap space and we have too many young defensemen in the minors who are ready for the NHL

Well, I dont think those "defensmen in the minors" are ready to take on the role of one of our only two solid, consistent dmen this year, but I do also think we will be forced to move Hamrlik and his salary. I suspect it will be this summer though - big salaries with another year left on them rarely go at deadline time.

Well, I dont think those "defensmen in the minors" are ready to take on the role of one of our only two solid, consistent dmen this year, but I do also think we will be forced to move Hamrlik and his salary. I suspect it will be this summer though - big salaries with another year left on them rarely go at deadline time.

Maybe Spaceck would play better on the left side and that would be key making this move. I don't really see our gm trading a player we just signed so putting him in a better position would help.

And while they won't replace Hamrlik (an «improve» Spaceck could) I'd like to see Subban and/or Weber in the line-up next season.

Sell, sell, sell! Acquire youth and grit. We need a guy like Billy, when Billy goes into the corner, he comes out with the puck. If the other guy comes out with the puck - then he comes with a few bruises as well.

Archived