The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Matt Cooke And The Savard Hit

Where's Ray Ferraro and his over-the-top outrage over the fact that a repeat offender like Matt Cooke almost killed a star player (Marc Savard) and has STILL not received any suspension from the league? Where's the increase in vocal pitch from the TSN crew? Where are the personal insults directed toward the hitter, the implication that he's a coward for doing what he did?

If Cooke gets anything less than six games for what he did, I call shenanigans on the league's joke of a policy in enforcing discipline for blindside hits. In fact, in my opinion, Cooke, as a repeat offender, should be suspended for the rest of the regular season.

Where's Ray Ferraro and his over-the-top outrage over the fact that a repeat offender like Matt Cooke almost killed a star player (Marc Savard) and has STILL not received any suspension from the league? Where's the increase in vocal pitch from the TSN crew? Where are the personal insults directed toward the hitter, the implication that he's a coward for doing what he did?

If Cooke gets anything less than six games for what he did, I call shenanigans on the league's joke of a policy in enforcing discipline for blindside hits. In fact, in my opinion, Cooke, as a repeat offender, should be suspended for the rest of the regular season.

It is ridiculous, especially when and I quote from the TSN website "Some players say this could be the hit that finally makes changes happen." If these league players believe this hit can result in fundamental changes to the rules why would no suspension be made on the hit?

I know Mr. Campbell is at the GM meetings and I'm wondering if he's heard an earful yet from the Bruins' staff yet.

While I do think Lappy's play was at least a little dirty, I completey agree that it didn't deserve half of the reaction that it got from the crew calling the game. I'd also be inclined to think that, as bad as it sounds, Ferraro's ire probably influenced popular opinion enough that LaPierre got more of a suspension than he otherwise would have. Four games for what was a borderline hockey play (as the opposing player was still whacking at the puck trying to put it in the net) is getting pretty excessive for a player with no prior suspensions.

Having said that, it'll be interesting to see what the league does with this one. Popular opinion is firmly on the 'suspend him' side, but you can't ignore the fact that this was almost identical to the hit on Booth that went unpunished earlier in the year (as it was deemed to not be a 'suspendible offence'). The only difference is that this time the star was on the receiving end instead of the hitting end... and as much as the disciplinarians would normally like to go with the popular opinion, I'm sure they also don't want to be seen as so blantantly favouring the star players.

This is a prime example of how the Leagues Double Standard has finally caught up to them. Prior to this hit, one could always argue that the others that followed the Booth hit, which were suspendable, were different enough to argue why. This one on the other hand is not. Heck, I am sure there are some editing gurus out there that can edit in the Booth hit and have them play side by side, exemplifying their similarities more clearly.

They need to suspend Cooke, admit a mistake was made on the Booth hit (ya right) and finally put a rule in the books against head shots, shoulder or not.

It is ridiculous, especially when and I quote from the TSN website "Some players say this could be the hit that finally makes changes happen." If these league players believe this hit can result in fundamental changes to the rules why would no suspension be made on the hit?

maybe that's why it's taking so long for action? because they're finally going to do something about it? i'm shocked that no suspension has been handed out yet. lapierre's took less than 24hrs.

Body checking is meant to intimidate, to either knock someone off the puck, intimidate them from touching the puck or force the shooting into making mistakes. Cooke did not need to deliver such a hard hit when Savard was in a vulnerable position. Simply, he could've delivered a nudge, enough to send Savard on his rear end. Savard would then realize that he was in a vulnerable position and the hit could've been much worse. Next time he crossed the Pens line with the puck, he'd have the hit in the back of his mind and would think twice about opening himself up again... To me, this does more damage than a hit that takes a player out. Now you have a player who's playing on his heals and worrying more about getting hit.

maybe that's why it's taking so long for action? because they're finally going to do something about it? i'm shocked that no suspension has been handed out yet. lapierre's took less than 24hrs.

If the suspension is being given out it needs to be done before the next game. Pittsburgh's next game is this Thursday giving the NHL a little more time to review.

With the Lapierre suspension, Montreal was playing the next game and the decision needed to be made quicker.

If the suspension is being given out it needs to be done before the next game. Pittsburgh's next game is this Thursday giving the NHL a little more time to review.

With the Lapierre suspension, Montreal was playing the next game and the decision needed to be made quicker.

thanks for the info. makes sense. :)

There is no doubt that this should be a more severe suspension then what Lapierre received, he should get a minimun 8 games suspension for this...But don't forget this is a American Team so the I presume he will get no more then 3 games...Don't forget Bettman probably has a say in this and he will give him only 3 games max.....And if you look at the replay Cooke knew what he was doing because he stuck the shoulder out to make sure he made contact with Savard...This was a coward hit in my opinion, that is why the league should go back to only having 24 teams and get ride of these players that have no respect for other players and don't belong in the NHL....

There is no doubt that this should be a more severe suspension then what Lapierre received, he should get a minimun 8 games suspension for this...But don't forget this is a American Team so the I presume he will get no more then 3 games...Don't forget Bettman probably has a say in this and he will give him only 3 games max.....And if you look at the replay Cooke knew what he was doing because he stuck the shoulder out to make sure he made contact with Savard...This was a coward hit in my opinion, that is why the league should go back to only having 24 teams and get ride of these players that have no respect for other players and don't belong in the NHL....

Who'd we cheer for then when the Canadian teams are gone?

Though I agree, it looked to me that he did stick his arm/shoulder out to make the hit instead of skating on by.

Well, there were some interesting things brought up at the GM's meeting... Will anything come of it?

That's a different story.

Taking out shots to the head won't eliminate concussions, but it will definitely reduce them. Someone can get a concussion from a clean body on body check. If the impact is hard enough, it can send the brain against the walls of the skull resulting in concussions. But I do believe this new rule would be a step in the right direction.

I don't know why they turned down the idea of each team being able to review a play. I know it'll slow the game down (a lil), but I doubt it would make that much of a difference. Same rules as the curve of the stick, if the team protesting is wrong, they get the penalty, simple as that. I don't believe in replaying every infraction. That would cripple the flow of the game drastically, but having the option to review a play is smart. But there has to be a penalty given if there's no infraction. Something like a delay of game penalty.

I'd like the league to take out the automatic 2 mins for pucks that go over the glass. Some are obviously by accident, like when they take a swipe at a puck that's in the air. I'm a lil fearful of putting this decision in the hands of the refs, but still, something has to be done about that rule.

And once and for all... Please take away those stupid trapezoids!

They want to cut down on injuries, yet they leave that trapezoid behind the net. Imho, the trapezoid causes more injuries. How many d-men have you seen that have been leveled waiting for a pass from their goaltender cos the goaltender has to wait for the puck to get into the touch zone.

MAB was flattened in his 1st game due to the trapezoid.

Good on the GM's for the hit to the head rule... But more has to be done.

I thought blindsided hits like that were perfectly legal? Not saying that's the way it should be, but hard to suspend a guy or get too angry for a legal hit.

In Lapierre's case, what he did was clearly against the rules: http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26333

I thought blindsided hits like that were perfectly legal? Not saying that's the way it should be, but hard to suspend a guy or get too angry for a legal hit.

In Lapierre's case, what he did was clearly against the rules: http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26333

What he did was definitely dangerous and against the rules... But what he did, was still part of the play. He pushed Nichols so he couldn't retrieve his own rebound. What cooke did was completely useless, Savard had already fired the puck, how is a late hit going to influence what has already happened?

Matt Cooke is way up there with Scott Hartnell as dirtiest player in the NHL. :angry:

Thank you! I've thought this for SO long. He's such a cheap little...jerk? Hard to describe what I think of him and abide by the forum rules simultaneously lol. Like I've said on other threads, I saw him play often in junior but I was only about 10 or 11 so I didn't notice how dirty he was until he reached the NHL.

Thank you! I've thought this for SO long. He's such a cheap little...jerk? Hard to describe what I think of him and abide by the forum rules simultaneously lol. Like I've said on other threads, I saw him play often in junior but I was only about 10 or 11 so I didn't notice how dirty he was until he reached the NHL.

Yet, they had no problems issuing a 4 game suspension to Lapierre (deserved), but why is it taking so long to reach a judgment on this one. It's not like he's a 1st offender (like laps), this guy has done it before. As recently as this season I might add. Just boggles the mind at what the league's priorities are.

Yet, they had no problems issuing a 4 game suspension to Lapierre (deserved), but why is it taking so long to reach a judgment on this one. It's not like he's a 1st offender (like laps), this guy has done it before. As recently as this season I might add. Just boggles the mind at what the league's priorities are.

I know what you're saying. Laps definately deserved that suspension and he got it within a day of the incident. I think they may be waiting to see if the GM's make a decision about the head check rule. They could be trying to use that hit as precedent for the rest.

That's only a possibility. What I really think is that the league's top priority are teams like the caps and pens, as well as the southern teams. Canadian teams and especially the Habs are right near the bottom.

I know what you're saying. Laps definately deserved that suspension and he got it within a day of the incident. I think they may be waiting to see if the GM's make a decision about the head check rule. They could be trying to use that hit as precedent for the rest.

That's only a possibility. What I really think is that the league's top priority are teams like the caps and pens, as well as the southern teams. Canadian teams and especially the Habs are right near the bottom.

They should be near the top, since the Habs revenue is what's keeping the NHL afloat.

They should be near the top, since the Habs revenue is what's keeping the NHL afloat.

IMO that's the reason they are so low on the priority list. The league knows that even if the Habs go 0-82-0, they will still fill a rink every single game. Unlike the front-running fans of teams like Pittsburgh and most of the southern teams.

I don't disagree FS but what exactly would they be suspending him for?

Correct me if I'm misinterpreting your post. I guess that's the thing. Because there is no rule written up about it, he technically didn't break any rules because there was none in place to break. That's why, hopefully, a rule comes out of all these talks. IMO it should have already been there and he obviously deserves a lengthy suspension.

Correct me if I'm misinterpreting your post. I guess that's the thing. Because there is no rule written up about it, he technically didn't break any rules because there was none in place to break. That's why, hopefully, a rule comes out of all these talks. IMO it should have already been there and he obviously deserves a lengthy suspension.

It was a late hit though. It also looked pretty vicious to me, personally. I think that warrants a suspension. Plus he has a lengthy history of hurting players with reckless plays like that.

I don't disagree FS but what exactly would they be suspending him for?

There isn't a rule in place for late hits, but with a late hit (that has no influence on the play at hand), it could be taken as an intent to injure. Cos in all honesty, I see no other reason for giving such a late hit.

Archived