The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Ovechkin To Be Suspended Again?

We'll see, but this looks eerily similar to the Lapierre hit.

Here's the vid from the game today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-YqxoaEAco

I think Lapierre deserved every minute of his 4 games. Ovie as a repeat offender deserves at least as much IMO.

Thanks, for this, WM.

I am waiting for Ray Ferraro on this one. ;)

That's very much like Lapierre's so, if Lappy got 4 games for his one, given Ovechkin's history, and that this got 5 minutes and a game, the League is going to have give him 6 games. No question about it. The League either applies things consistently or they have no credibility.

And listen to the commentators, trying to handle it all with kid gloves, all because Ovechkin is a marquee player that brings money to the game and pads their salaries. They must think we are all imbeciles: "push was partly from the side" :blink: Shut up! It was straight into his back. Two hands, on the numbers, one on the "5" and one on the "1" of Campbell. It's very clear. "To his side," my behind!! Boudreau is such a dink as well. Ref's probably gave Ovie the game instead of just 5 minutes because of the coach's complaining. Boudreau is always yapping. I am really getting sick and tired of it. There's nothing to defend, so what's he saying?

++++++++++++++

The gang in the booth, plus 'Maguire' are even more partial than the League:

"Oh no, my commentator salary is going to take a hit, because it is based on ratings and ad $, and if Ovechkin is not playing in a broadcast game, then no one is watching. Dang!" :mellow:

Now then, where are ya Ray? Huh?!

In a league that cared about officiating consistency and justice, Ovechkin would get a minimum of six games for that hit. Personally, I'd give him 10 games because he's a repeat offender.

But I doubt anything will happen, beyond maybe a token one-game suspension and a 'hefty' fine that Ovechkin probably won't even realize he's paid, given his salary.

frankly the issue here if we are comparing ovechkin and lapierre is not one of fairness, but allow my my usual digression into the equine arena and see if you can follow my point ok?

if lapierre pushed me off my horse i would have pretty much understood it, and perhaps requested the league ask him to sit for a game-- perhaps. on the other hand if ovechkin pushed me off my horse- and both of these examples are referring to the boarding- naturally-- i would be so pissed, and so disappointed i would demand- indeed demand, that the guy get his due- which would be like 10-15 games.

the difference is taking away the part about it being a game, and making it a lifestyle, and appreciating the dangers that are inherent in being a user of the arena.

is the league going to do it? no, of course not. they're married and they don't have to worry about carrying their kids around the house, or being able to bounce the kid on their knee or anything that is normal. they act like they carry the burden of the world with having to make- make us- go see games, and forget what it is all about. its just a real shame to my way of thinking.

He may get what Lapierre got, it was more violent of a hit then Lapierre's but also wasn't as far after the play as Lapierre's.

I think anywhere from 3-5 would be fair.

Well my least favorite player in the league is at again. What words can I use to describe his play. I am not saying he is for being banned. His play is selfish, dangerous and intentional. What else could explain this hit. It was late as well he could have pulled up he plays very dumb if he didn't realize the vulnerability of this play.

Ovechkin's hit was IDENTICAL to what Lapierre did if not worse, the NHL has to give him at least 4 games.

It wasn't identical at all IMO. I thought Lapierre's was a tiny bit worse, it was after the play and the angle was straight from behind. This was dirty though and because Ovechkin has a history he probably deserves atleast what Lapierre got IMO.

I think the hits were similar, but not identical for sure.

It was similar in the sense that both victims went into the boards in the same way. Both victims were hit in that dangerous zone about 5-10 feet from the boards where you're pretty much guaranteed to fall hard and awkwardly.

Some of the differences...

Lapierre's hit was far, far later... a good 2 seconds after Nichol shot up the puck. Ovechkin's hit was on a guy who had just played the puck.

Lapierre's hit was also much more clearly from behind. Ovechkin's hit was partially from the side, though the pushing motion was most definitely right on Campbell's numbers.

Lapierre didn't seem to show much remorse. I think Ovie showed some general concern and guilt, for what it's worth.

Overall I think that the Lapierre hit was worse because it was so late and so unnecessary. Ovechkin's hit was more in the moment, but this stuff is going to keep happening as long as he plays so recklessly all the time.

Deserving of a suspension. What he will get? Let's wait and find out. Here's a great opportunity for the NHL to issue an appropriate suspension to one of THE stars of the league. Next step... Doing the same thing to a Canadian born star player, the next time the situation arises. I would like to see him be suspended for the exact duration Lapierre was, at the least. I think Ovechkin was partly committed to the hit thinking Campbell was going to skate the puck around the net. Campbell back passed it and then got wrecked by a careless hit.

This guy's got this right!! :lol:

http://www.lagerassassin.com/latest-sport-...jected-boarding

The League's two marquee players are locked in a battle for the goal scoring title and Rocket Richard Trophy, and now Colin Campbell gets to decide it (if he's got the guts).

Ovie and Boudreau making light of it all:

http://www.zimbio.com/Bruce+Boudreau/artic...lk+Hit+Campbell

(I say add an extra game for that stuff.)

Campbell out for at least three games; not going on road trip, per his Coach:

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/3/14/1372715/...tals-blackhawks

Time for Colin Campbell to stand up for consistency, eye-for-an-eye (remember BGL's knee on the Red Wing; putting a player out of the line-up matters, per Campbell), and not just coddle his stars and the Sunday afternoon NBC slots (and you can bet he's got a phone call from them already .... along the lines of "don't do it Collie").

Ovie and Boudreau making light of it all:

http://www.zimbio.com/Bruce+Boudreau/artic...lk+Hit+Campbell

(I say add an extra game for that stuff.)

From the article:

“I didn’t hit him hard,” Ovechkin said of Campbell, who did not return to the game. “He fell bad. But you can see, every shift this happens—little pushes, little battles."…

The thing is, when a guy is in a vulnerable position you don't have to hit him very hard to cause significant injury. The quote above does not sit well with me. If you're chasing a guy at high speed and his back is to you several feet from the boards, you let up and don't hit him. Simple as that. All it takes in this situation is a simple push and you could end up killing a guy. The reason why Ovie is labeled reckless, dangerous, and why he keeps injuring players and getting these misconducts is because he doesn't seem to understand this. It's disconcerting.

From the article:

“I didn’t hit him hard,” Ovechkin said of Campbell, who did not return to the game. “He fell bad. But you can see, every shift this happens—little pushes, little battles."…

... and my bet is that Ovie was coached on what to say to the media after the game. They had lots of time (2+ periods); it doesn't quite mesh with his remonstrations towards Brian Campbell right after it happened.

I know Boudreau is just looking after his own, and trying to preserve his line-up, but the guy has struck me as a Major Weasel for a good while now.

re: "disconcerting" -- I agree. It is also a little disconcerting that Ovie transgressed again in his 41st game since his last one, when 40 games or less means an automatic suspension. I fully expect the team keeps tabs on this count and keeps him current.

WOW

What a Joke!...Way to keep the name of hockey dirty NHL...Way To Go!!

I hope someone DEMOLISHES Ovechkin...this guy gets away with murder out there...

laps gets 4 games...No Penalty called...this guy gets 5 and a Game and he walks...HAHA WOW

I think the hits were similar, but not identical for sure.

It was similar in the sense that both victims went into the boards in the same way. Both victims were hit in that dangerous zone about 5-10 feet from the boards where you're pretty much guaranteed to fall hard and awkwardly.

Some of the differences...

Lapierre's hit was far, far later... a good 2 seconds after Nichol shot up the puck. Ovechkin's hit was on a guy who had just played the puck.

Lapierre's hit was also much more clearly from behind. Ovechkin's hit was partially from the side, though the pushing motion was most definitely right on Campbell's numbers.

Lapierre didn't seem to show much remorse. I think Ovie showed some general concern and guilt, for what it's worth.

Overall I think that the Lapierre hit was worse because it was so late and so unnecessary. Ovechkin's hit was more in the moment, but this stuff is going to keep happening as long as he plays so recklessly all the time.

There were other differences. The Lapierre hit was made on a guy who still had an opportunity to play the puck as it rebounded towards them. His job was to make sure he didnt get a second scoring attempt.

The OV hit was made on a defensive player clearing the puck and not someone trying to score a goal. There was no need to eliminate the player in that manner.

Also IMO,,,i didnt see OV looking overly concerned with Campbells well being. What i saw was a guy who knew he had just made a bonehead play. He certainly didnt skate over to check on him, or wave any trainers onto the ice.

No suspension. Dangerous hit from a guy who has done this several times before. This is ridiculous.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=314001

I don't think that's conclusive. But even if he doesn't qualify as a repeat offender, shouldn't the first offense be punishable? This is very much like the Lapierre hit.

You know, I actually stuck up for Campbell after the Cooke incident, claiming that the hit wasn't directly against the rules and I understood not wanting to invoke "attempt to injure". But this just shows there is clearly a double standard. Had the Ovechkin and Lapierre hits been reversed, can anyone honestly say Ovechkin would have gotten 4 games and Lapierre 0?

i don't know- i just reviewed the lapierre hit, and maybe i'm going a little light on him, but i was there watching the game- so maybe the finality of it is that he deserved to sit for a couple, 3 games. not that sure.

what i am sure about is that if you really have to hit me, and slam me into the boards, at least do NOT trip over me doing it, and a whole heck of a lot of punishment is due to someone who does that.

We'll see, but this looks eerily similar to the Lapierre hit.

Here's the vid from the game today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-YqxoaEAco

I think Lapierre deserved every minute of his 4 games. Ovie as a repeat offender deserves at least as much IMO.

After watching the hit several times the only conclusion one can draw is that it is identical in almost every way to the one Lappiere received a 4 game suspension. It will be interesting to see how the NHL twist this one around so OV walks away with only a major penalty and the one game. If that is the case and I am Lappierre, I am going to the NHLPA and getting me their lawyer and then suing the league to regain 3 games worth of pay. After the Cooke fiasco can they afford to screw another one of these up? Lets wait and see, but my gut instinct is that OV won't be dealt with remotely as harsh as Lapps. That will be a shame and just another black mark on Colin Campbell (I believe as a Hab fan he must be related to Clarence) tenure as the league's disciplinarian if that is what actually occurrs.

Archived