The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Night Vision Motion Detecting Camera

Y-ASK-Y

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a Night Vision Motion Detecting Camera that captures good quality pictures (maybe even video).

My two cars in the driveway were broken into this morning. I don't expect it to deter a thief (actually, I kind of want them to try again) but I want to be able to provide the police with something to go on to catch the thief/thieves.

I also had my Montreal Canadiens car flag stolen about 5 months ago (probably a laff fan - lol) but I want to catch him/her as well.

Thanks.

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a Night Vision Motion Detecting Camera that captures good quality pictures (maybe even video).

My two cars in the driveway were broken into this morning. I don't expect it to deter a thief (actually, I kind of want them to try again) but I want to be able to provide the police with something to go on to catch the thief/thieves.

I also had my Montreal Canadiens car flag stolen about 5 months ago (probably a laff fan - lol) but I want to catch him/her as well.

Thanks.

There was a model of Sony camera that was spectacular at this a few years back. It was taken out of production because when the night vision mode was used during the day, it could yield almost "x-ray" type of images - ie. seeing through people's clothing (it produced very odd, completely un-erotic images, but still people felt it was inappropriate). I do not know which model this was, but Im sure you could google it & perhaps find it cheap on ebay.

I know that a lot of current cameras have good options in low light (my olympus for example will yield terrific images with nothing more than a street lamp or camp fire) but this will require a tripod. I think you will find any low-light/night vision camera would require this, as the exposure needs to be longer and even a tiny amount of shake will show up as blur. You might want to consider an ultra-zoom model too as this would reall help to get the perp's faces up close. 15-20 optical zoom would probably be great for this end.

As for specific models, for some reason I dont think that many consumer-grade cameras offer that as a `feature`any more (although, as mentioned above, low-light (sometimes called available light) might suffice) but, you can still try: Go find a review site you like (megapixel/steve's digicams etc) then take down the url and enter this into google:

site:_________ "night vision" - this will bring back all pages on that one site that pertain to night vision & likely will help you narrow down your search. So, if you wanted to try steve's for example:

site:steves-digicams.com "night vision"

or

site:dpreview.com "night vision"

Good luck.

J-Haul (saying it like Seinfeld in referencing Newman). :) I knew it!!!

Thanks, Jedimass. I will check those out after I type this response. I plan to have the camera sitting in my front window facing the driveway. The cars are approximately 15 feet from the window. Fortunately, there is a street lamp about 10 feet from my driveway so I think it will get pretty good lighting for a night vision camera.

These things happen but obviously, if I can provide the police with something to go on and it leads to an arrest then I will be a happy camper. There was only $5 dollars worth of change that was taken and my b-day Tim Hortons card ($4 left) :( lol

Fortunately, the car windows weren't broken.... kind of weird because I was sure both cars were locked and armed but the alarms didn't go off but all the doors were opened in the morning. Not sure how they did it... but maybe I left the doors opened. I'm pretty sure they were locked and armed though....

These things happen but obviously, if I can provide the police with something to go on and it leads to an arrest then I will be a happy camper. There was only $5 dollars worth of change that was taken and my b-day Tim Hortons card ($4 left) :( lol

You are fortunate because this is what happened to me a few years back when I lived in Calgary (now that im in small town bc I could probably leave my keys in the iginition, lol). They broke into my car, stole about $5 in change and that was it. Of course they left me with a busted in window that would have cost me much more to fix (thankfully i found one at the local junkyard for $10 or $15). I still consider myself lucky though because i had a $200 socket set in the trunk and i found that on the curb 5 feet from the front of my car so they obviously were going to take it & then decided it was too heavy or too difficult to pawn.

My two cars in the driveway were broken into this morning.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune,that sucks....and regarding the flags...I have a few but for this reason is why I will not put them on my van...afraid some deranged leaf/bruin fan :lol: might take out their frustrations out on the car.

Archived