Playoff Showdown

Bourne

85 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you rather face?

• Washington
    • Pittsburgh
    • Buffalo
    • New Jersey

Our Habs(39-32-8 86Pts) can clinch a playoff spot IF the New York Rangers(36-32-10 82Pts) lose in regulation to the Buffalo Sabres and Montreal beat the New York Islanders!

Now:

MTL: 39-32-8 86Pts

NYR:36-32-10 82 Pts

If this happens:

MTL: 80GP 40-32-8 88Pts

NYR: 79GP 36-33-10 82Pts

*even if NY wins the rest of their games and montreal loses theirs, it will be a tie at 88pts with montreal having 1 more win!

Our Habs(39-32-8 86Pts) can clinch a playoff spot IF the New York Rangers(36-32-10 82Pts) lose in regulation to the Buffalo Sabres and Montreal beat the New York Islanders!

Now:

MTL: 39-32-8 86Pts

NYR:36-32-10 82 Pts

If this happens:

MTL: 80GP 40-32-8 88Pts

NYR: 79GP 36-33-10 82Pts

*even if NY wins the rest of their games and montreal loses theirs, it will be a tie at 88pts with montreal having 1 more win!

Yeah 1 win fpr us and 1 Ranger loss in regulation and were in.Really with our schedule we should have no problem winning 2 of the 3.We should win 3 of 3 but you know how the habs seem to play these lower teams it will be a fight until the end.I will cry if we have to beat Toronto to clinch because that will be their Stanley Cup and they will play us to the death to eliminate us.

We could only expect to win against the Sabres because

Washington:Ovechkin,Backstrom,Leach

New Jersey:Brodeur, Parise, Kovalchuk

Pitsburgh: Crosby Malkin,Staal

But by order:

Buffalo

New Jersey

Washington

Pitsburgh

3-5 years ago I would've agreed with you... Avoid Marty and the Devils at all cost. But if this season has shown us anything, it's that we can beat the Devils and even the games we've lost, we've at least shown up. For some reason, the Sabres have always scared me, going back to the adams division, we've always had trouble with Buffalo. One of those teams-no matter how good or how badly they're playing-they always seem to give us a hard time (excluding yesterday).

I think this season, with how Marty has played, I'd put them before Buffalo.

My choice is almost identical to yours, with a lil rearranging.

My order:

NJ

Buf

Wash (scary firepower, but Ovy's slowed down and they have huge goalie issues-beat them this season, so we can do it)

Pitts

The team that scares me the most has got to be Pittsburgh. It's Crosby... He, just... Has our number, I think. :( The other teams are frightening, too. New Jersey will look new with Kovalchuk. I really feel like he's a guy who wants to win. So... New Jersey could be tough. The have a lot of good players and play an excellent defensive system, like always. Buffalo has had superior coaching for years. Lindy Ruff knows what he's doing, and let's not delude ourselves that the last two games against Buffalo will have any impact on what's GOING to possibly happen later this month. Washington I have not watched much. I'm not really sure what they're about, but when you have Ovechkin, well... That's something right there. However, they do have the weakest goaltending, in my opinion.

Despite the poll where most people here want to play Buffalo, I agree with FirstStar that NJ would be the way to go. Miller is just too good of a goalie and can steal games at any given game. Brodeur on the other hand hasn't been as solid as he's been in the past. Washington, despite their poor goaltending is capable of putting up 6 goals a game and we can't match that.

1)Buffalo- We haven't had a whole lot of success against them this season but I think we can give them a run for their money in the playoffs more than any other divison leader we could face. Yes they have Miller, but we have Jaro and/or Carey which have both gotten the job done against the Sabres this season.

2) Washington- Very strong offense, mediocre defense and goaltending. Again I think we can give them a good game but Ovechkin is such a force to try and hold off especially for seven games.

3)New Jersey- 4 wins against them since the lockout, I doubt we'll be able to get by them in the playoffs, plus it makes my eyes heavy just thinking about having to watch a seven game series that involves New Jersey.

Despite the poll where most people here want to play Buffalo, I agree with FirstStar that NJ would be the way to go. Miller is just too good of a goalie and can steal games at any given game. Brodeur on the other hand hasn't been as solid as he's been in the past. Washington, despite their poor goaltending is capable of putting up 6 goals a game and we can't match that.

IF we can make it to the postseason, which I'm still not entirely convinced of, I tend towards Buffalo, although I hate to play against either team. IMO the biggest difference is that Jersey's roster is stacked with proven playoff performers, it's a tough team to beat overall, even if Brodeur may not be the same player he used to be. Their defense is tough, their forwards are extremely dangerous and now that they added Kovalchuk, I have another reason for not going head-to-head with them in the playoffs. This team has no obvious weakness and with Parise, Zajac, Langenbrunner, Kovalchuk, Elias, et al., I'm afraid they could easily outscore our team.

Buffalo, on the other hand, is a bit of an overrated team IMO. Nobody thought they'd be winning the division at the beginning of the season and their biggest difference makers this year are Miller and rookie Tyler Myers. They're very balanced but aside from Miller, they have nobody capable of deciding the outcome of a game single-handedly, which may be a more favorable matchup for our guys. They have 4 players with 20+ goals but I'd rather face Connoly, Pominville, Roy and Vanek compared to NJ's top guys. They do have Kaleta though, for some reason I'm always concerned when I see that guy stepping on the ice.

We can all try and assume which team will be the easiest for the Habs to beat in a best-of-seven series but when you think of it if the Habs want to win a Stanley cup or make it far in the playoffs in our position they would have to face 2 or 3 of the top 4 teams so bring on whoever and lets hope the Habs give all they got.

IF we can make it to the postseason, which I'm still not entirely convinced of, I tend towards Buffalo, although I hate to play against either team. IMO the biggest difference is that Jersey's roster is stacked with proven playoff performers, it's a tough team to beat overall, even if Brodeur may not be the same player he used to be. Their defense is tough, their forwards are extremely dangerous and now that they added Kovalchuk, I have another reason for not going head-to-head with them in the playoffs. This team has no obvious weakness and with Parise, Zajac, Langenbrunner, Kovalchuk, Elias, et al., I'm afraid they could easily outscore our team.

Buffalo, on the other hand, is a bit of an overrated team IMO. Nobody thought they'd be winning the division at the beginning of the season and their biggest difference makers this year are Miller and rookie Tyler Myers. They're very balanced but aside from Miller, they have nobody capable of deciding the outcome of a game single-handedly, which may be a more favorable matchup for our guys. They have 4 players with 20+ goals but I'd rather face Connoly, Pominville, Roy and Vanek compared to NJ's top guys. They do have Kaleta though, for some reason I'm always concerned when I see that guy stepping on the ice.

Valid points. What history has shown us though is that a hot goaltender can carry a team on his shoulders. That is what scares me with Miller. He's a proven force and if he gets hot, I feel that the Sabres can beat any team. On the other hand, we have Jaro who's playing phenomenally right now. Even with the firepower that NJ has, I feel that if Jaro continues being hot then we can definitely advance.

Honestly, I'm caring less and less about who the Habs play in the playoffs this year as the season gets closer to the end. I'm of the opinion that we can take any of the teams in the East in a four game series, and also that any of those four teams could sweep us.

Basically if the Habs play like they did in Buffalo (with clutch goaltending, some scoring from the lower lines and a good team defence) I like their chances against anyone in the conference. If, however, they play like they did in the Philly win, I don't think they can stick with any of the four conference leaders. None of those teams will let you steal a game if you play anything short of your best.

Valid points. What history has shown us though is that a hot goaltender can carry a team on his shoulders. That is what scares me with Miller. He's a proven force and if he gets hot, I feel that the Sabres can beat any team. On the other hand, we have Jaro who's playing phenomenally right now. Even with the firepower that NJ has, I feel that if Jaro continues being hot then we can definitely advance.

You're right about that. Miller is arguably Buffalo's MVP, he can dominate and easily be the difference maker in a series four game series against any team. Since we're not quite an offensive powerhouse, I actually wouldn't be too surprised if he did go on a streak against our team.

Honestly, I'm caring less and less about who the Habs play in the playoffs this year as the season gets closer to the end. I'm of the opinion that we can take any of the teams in the East in a four game series, and also that any of those four teams could sweep us.

Basically if the Habs play like they did in Buffalo (with clutch goaltending, some scoring from the lower lines and a good team defence) I like their chances against anyone in the conference. If, however, they play like they did in the Philly win, I don't think they can stick with any of the four conference leaders. None of those teams will let you steal a game if you play anything short of your best.

Beautifully said. I am just hopeful that we are firing on all cylinders going into the playoffs, because I'm getting tired of the Jekyll and Hyde thing.

Archived