• Caps
    • Devils
    • Sabres

Splash.jpg

STC1993.jpg

stanley-cup.jpg

Possible match-ups:

Habs - Caps

How to win: The chances of beating the caps are low but it is possible. If we can shut down alex ovechkin, generate some offense and outskate their far from perfect defense we can win. We have done it once and we can do it 4 more times!!!!

Habs - Sabres

How to win: This would probably be the most favorable match-up. The buffalo defense is far from being great (except possible calder trophy winner tyler myers of course.)If we can get pucks past miller and shutdown pominville, vanek and roy...this series is ours!

Habs - Devils

How to win: We probably have less chance of beating the devils than to beat the caps. Why? because the caps are almost strictly offense while the devils are a great defensive team with people like ilya kovalchuk and travis zajac up front. The ONLY way to beat NJ is to pour it on offfensively and try to prevent them from taking the lead so they cannot play their ultra defensive, conservative technique. But of course, the biggest threat remains brodeur!

As you can see, the playoffs will be tough for our habs but if they can pass the first round, they will have exceeded our expectations. Of course, an eventual second round matchup against the penguins, rangers or flyers, senators would not be easy!! But with hard work, we can accomplish anything! Just remember 1993!!

Captain: I think we should name gio captain before the playoffs. Not only has he been out leader in goals and one of the players who has stepped up when we needed it the most (like pleks and markov), he also spoke to the media and seems to be one of the most involved players on the team. His stanley cup ring and NHL experience make him a captain.

Tell me what you want: who do you want to play? how can the habs beat their 3 possible opponents? should we name a captain?

Devils are rooting for the Rangers for sure!

OMG!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

i still can hear the devils fans at the prudential center chanting 'RANGERS SUCK' even if it was a game against the habs and i'm still amazed at the number of shops selling 'rangers suck' t-shirts and other gear

so yeah, the devils must certainly root for the rangers :D

learn ur maths

WE ARE AGAINT CAPS NO MATTER what happens tomorrow

philly win they got more victory Habs = 8

ranger win Habs and ranger = wins but Ranger got more goals

sorry bud, before they go to goals they look at the season series and we only lost 1 game to them this season...

ps. those pads roy has in that pick are sick...one of our goalies should get those kinda pads...lolll

Here's my take on potential matchups...

I don't think I've really seen the Habs respond well to a strong team defensive effort all season. When teams step it up defensively against us, all our shots seem to come from the outside, we can't seem to enter the zone, our forwards get frustrated and lose all sense of creativity, and overall the team just falls asleep.

Lemaire and NJ would do this to us for 240 minutes and it would be goodnight season. Throw in Brodeur who always seems to step up against Montreal and it only gets worse.

Dec 16, 2009: MTL (1) - NJD (2)

Jan 9, 2010: NJD (2) - MTL (1) OT

Jan 22, 2010: MTL (3) - NJD (1)

Mar 27, 2010: NJD (4) - MTL (2)

Season series: 3-1 NJD (7 goals for, 9 goals against)

Buffalo's team is not nearly as talented, but Ruff can also get his team to fall in line and play a good defensive system. Miller will only make it worse when our few scoring chances are met with a strong goalie. They are definitely beatable, but I think many, many people are seriously underestimating them.

Oct 3, 2009: MTL (2) - BUF (1) OT

Dec 3, 2009: MTL (2) - BUF (6)

Dec 14, 2009: BUF (4) - MTL (3)

Jan 3, 2010: BUF (1) - MTL (0)

Mar 24, 2010: MTL (2) - BUF (3) SO

Apr 3, 2010: BUF (0) - MTL (3)

Season series: 4-2 BUF (12 goals for, 15 goals against)

The Caps are the only team that won't play us hard defensively as a team. To beat them the Habs will have their hands full defensively, but offensively the team will have to play wide open almost all the time. This is where the Habs are best, and where our forwards will have the best chance to use their skill. A tough matchup for sure, but not as impossible as many people think IMO. The Caps obviously have a great team, but I really doubt they are the best in the league as their point total suggests. They had a very easy division to pad their points.

Nov 20, 2009: MTL (3) - WSH (2)

Nov 28, 2009: WSH (4) - MTL (3) SO

Jan 5, 2010: MTL (2) - WSH (4)

Feb 10, 2010: WSH (5) - MTL (6) OT

Season series: Tie 2-2 (14 goals for, 15 goals against)

As you can see, the playoffs will be tough for our habs but if they can pass the first round, they will have exceeded our expectations. Of course, an eventual second round matchup against the penguins, rangers or flyers, senators would not be easy!! But with hard work, we can accomplish anything! Just remember 1993!!
The Habs could not play the Rangers or Flyers in the 2nd round. It is possible for that to happen in the 3rd round only. Hard worked paid off in 1986 too!

My first pick would be the Devils, then the Capitals. I am scared that the Sabres would sweep or take five games to beat the Canadiens. Lindy Ruff holds the coaching edge over Martin.

Lately it seems as if everyone has a coaching edge over Martin. ...

I wanted the Sabres most of all, Capitals least of all. Not sure how I feel now. In the end, it doesn't really matter. Just glad to be at the dance. Anything can happen in the 2nd season.

One small thought:

How bad was it looking in November / December?

One other small thought:

Here's hoping the anaemic performances on this losing streak are just symptomatic of the Boys playing within themselves to keep themselves fresh for the playoffs ;)

Taking anyone to a 7th game in the first round will be a positive, compared to the gash being served up earlier in the season.

Here's my take on potential matchups...

I don't think I've really seen the Habs respond well to a strong team defensive effort all season. When teams step it up defensively against us, all our shots seem to come from the outside, we can't seem to enter the zone, our forwards get frustrated and lose all sense of creativity, and overall the team just falls asleep.

Lemaire and NJ would do this to us for 240 minutes and it would be goodnight season. Throw in Brodeur who always seems to step up against Montreal and it only gets worse.

Dec 16, 2009: MTL (1) - NJD (2)

Jan 9, 2010: NJD (2) - MTL (1) OT

Jan 22, 2010: MTL (3) - NJD (1)

Mar 27, 2010: NJD (4) - MTL (2)

Buffalo's team is not nearly as talented, but Ruff can also get his team to fall in line and play a good defensive system. Miller will only make it worse when our few scoring chances are met with a strong goalie. They are definitely beatable, but I think many, many people are seriously underestimating them.

Oct 3, 2009: MTL (2) - BUF (1) OT

Dec 3, 2009: MTL (2) - BUF (6)

Dec 14, 2009: BUF (4) - MTL (3)

Jan 3, 2010: BUF (1) - MTL (0)

Mar 24, 2010: MTL (2) - BUF (3) SO

Apr 3, 2010: BUF (0) - MTL (3)

The Caps are the only team that won't play us hard defensively as a team. To beat them the Habs will have their hands full defensively, but offensively the team will have to play wide open almost all the time. This is where the Habs are best, and where our forwards will have the best chance to use their skill. A tough matchup for sure, but not as impossible as many people think IMO. The Caps obviously have a great team, but I really doubt they are the best in the league as their point total suggests. They had a very easy division to pad their points.

Nov 20, 2009: MTL (3) - WSH (2)

Nov 28, 2009: WSH (4) - MTL (3) SO

Jan 5, 2010: MTL (2) - WSH (4)

Feb 10, 2010: WSH (5) - MTL (6) OT

Thanks for the information.

My first pick would be the Devils, then the Capitals. I am scared that the Sabres would sweep or take five games to beat the Canadiens. Lindy Ruff holds the coaching edge over Martin.
You think Ruff would have a coaching edge over Martin but not Lemaire?

Thanks for the information.
No problem. :)

I guess if you take out the winning "goal" earned in shootout wins (so only counting goals in regulation or OT) you'd have:

Season series vs NJD: 3-1 NJD (7 goals for, 9 goals against)

Season series vs BUF: 4-2 BUF (12 goals for, 14 goals against)

Season series vs WSH: Tie 2-2 (14 goals for, 14 goals against)

Archived