The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#1 San Jose Sharks Vs #8 Colorado Avalanche

Finally, first game of the night I actually predicted correct.

Can always count of the Sharks to choke in the playoffs. Question is, if they lose the series, does the team get blown up? It seems like tinkering isn't working.

What can you really blow up though?

Moving Nabokov is probably impossible - you'd find takers but probably not enough return, and you don't have someone set behind him.

Thornton - how do you move a guy that is consistently one of the top playmakers in the league and was really the piece that brought the team to the next level (in the regular season, anyway).

Marleau - he'd probably be the one to be moved, but its risky.

Heatley - they just brought him in, and I figured he may have been the missing piece of their playoff puzzle. He would have pretty high value though given the season he just had.

I don't know... It just seems like it would be incredibly hard for them to turn around and rip apart the foundations of the team and still hope to be as successful year-in, year-out as they have been for the past few.

Moving Nabokov is probably impossible - you'd find takers but probably not enough return, and you don't have someone set behind him.

I'm almost positive Nabokov is a UFA at the end of this year

Thornton - how do you move a guy that is consistently one of the top playmakers in the league and was really the piece that brought the team to the next level (in the regular season, anyway).

Heatley - they just brought him in, and I figured he may have been the missing piece of their playoff puzzle. He would have pretty high value though given the season he just had.

I don't know... It just seems like it would be incredibly hard for them to turn around and rip apart the foundations of the team and still hope to be as successful year-in, year-out as they have been for the past few.

That's actually what I was getting at. What do you do when you have a team who does great in the regular season but can't win in the playoffs? I mean in past seasons I think they just thought of the "choking" as a coincidence or something a little tinkering could fix. But how many years must you give it before you do something drastic like move Thornton: Thornton is an asset if your goal is the President's trophy, but in the playoffs he's never been over a PPG player, he's done okay, but does it justify the percentage of the cap hit he's taking up? Does it justify keeping him rather than what may be a decent return in a trade?

In a way, I almost feel like the regular season success has been the worst thing that could happen to the Sharks as it prevents them from making change even though the current group seems to want to get outside once the nice weather hits.

Of course this whole conversation will be moot if the Sharks can have a nice long cup-run, but first game's not a good sign.

If the Sharks bow out early again there will be calls for Nabokov's head, yet the bottom line is this team can't score once the regular season ends. Never understood the criticism of Nabokov's play in the post-season; sure, he hasn't won a Cup, but that's true of many of the top goalies in the league (Luongo, Miller, etc.). What I remember of his playoff runs is multiple overtime games that the Sharks should have won handily in regulation -- but again, the Sharks couldn't score. If anything, Nabokov has kept them in the games Thornton and Marleau take off, and a good number of those games are playoff games. Keep Nabokov, and see what you can get for the forwards who disappear each spring.

If the Sharks bow out early again there will be calls for Nabokov's head

i dont know about that...its san jose, not montreal...they dont seem to pin everything on the goalie lol...they'll call for thorton's head i think

He is, but I bet San Jose finds it incredibly tough to justify not re-signing him.

Well it's a matter of cost, he's definitely a good goalie but if he's asking for more then 5-5.5 I could see them going in a different direction (maybe taking a run at one of our goalies?) Also he will be 35 at the start of next season and coming off his best season in ages he could be looking to cash in.

Anyway if they lose here they may just look to make changes, that involves letting Marleau and Evgeni go. I think Evgeni is overrated to be honest anyway, sure he's good but he's replaceable and right now it's a buyers market for goalies.

Seriously Colorado won.... what is wrong with the Sharks? If they lose this year theyll need major restructuring

I think they should trade Joe Thornton to Toronto for Beauchemin(cup winner) Grabovski (OK 2nd line center) and a couple of prospects and/or picks. After all Toronto could use the help in the regular season first and worry about the playoffs in a few years ;) .

Archived