The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Laptop Won't Hibernate

RSD

Ok, so I've searched the internet and haven't been able to find a solution...So...I've come here to post in hopes of some help on this...lol

Yesterday, my laptop got attacked by a malware virus called digital protection...I got rid of it using malwarebytes and spyware doctor...but the issue now is my computer will not hibernate...i dont get an error message...what happens is, it goes to the preparing to hibernate screen and then just comes back to my desktop...it goes into standby just fine...i have no idea what happened...i checked my device manager and everything that needs to be allowed to turn off in order for my computer to hibernate is in check...does anybody here have any experience with this?...im running windows xp with all the updates etc...its a toshiba satellite a100...i really need my hibernate back because my battery doesnt work and i cant unplug when on standby lol...

Have you run malware bytes in safe mode? I know some pieces of malware can drop remnants in your boot memory so starting fresh & running (while nothing else is) can sometimes solve the problem.

Alternately, you might find something like adaware or another program might catch something the first 2 didnt - it doesnt seem like any of those programs are all-inclusive.

I'm dealing with something like this right now with my laptop. I'm not saying this is what you have but it might help you. Although it is different, the solution might be the same. With me. my laptop will log in but then log me off right away. I too had a virus (absolutely horrendous one might I add) and I installed a new security program to get rid of it. It cleaned it up. The problem started. I found out that when the virus 'infiltrated' the files, it replaced the name of the prompt to login with its own name. So, to log in, or in your case to hibernate, the prompt was changed from the normal name to that is the virus. When my software got rid of the virus, it cleared the name on the prompt to log in. So, when the laptop wants to log in, it looks for that name in the prompt. Because there is none, the prompt is not recognized and thus the laptop will not log in. That could be the same case with you.

This literally just happened to me two days ago so I'm in the process of brining it to someone to get fixed. What I found out I have to do is either use a windows CD to rewrite the proper prompt back in or take the hard drive out and put into another computer and rename the prompt as the virus name so that the laptop can correctly identify it.

I only say this because it might be close to what your problem is. I don't want you to go and do something and it goes wrong. I only said this to help. Maybe that is the problem, maybe it isn't. Hope this helped anyway.

thanks for the replies guys

i scanned in safe mode and nothing was found either...i looked on google and a couple people seem to have had the same issues recently, but no one responded to their posts on the computer forums...ah well...ill stick to standby for now...looks like this might be the last time i buy a pc...im sick of virus attacks...

thanks for the replies guys

i scanned in safe mode and nothing was found either...i looked on google and a couple people seem to have had the same issues recently, but no one responded to their posts on the computer forums...ah well...ill stick to standby for now...looks like this might be the last time i buy a pc...im sick of virus attacks...

Interesting. Its a very odd issue. You cant do a system recovery back to before you had the issues can you? I suspect it wouldnt work if it was indeed caused by malware, but it is possibly that it affected something in your system settings.

Definitely the virus thing is one plus in Mac's favor, but there's certainly an arm's-load of issues with each platform. I own 8 computers - 5 are PCs (with various operating systems ranging from 2000 to Vista) and 3 are macs.

I am every bit as frustrated with the macs at times.

Honestly, the only totally good operating system I think Ive ever run is the Linux Ubuntu - but of course the problem with all Linux platforms is software.

You just cant win.

Interesting. Its a very odd issue. You cant do a system recovery back to before you had the issues can you? I suspect it wouldnt work if it was indeed caused by malware, but it is possibly that it affected something in your system settings.

Definitely the virus thing is one plus in Mac's favor, but there's certainly an arm's-load of issues with each platform. I own 8 computers - 5 are PCs (with various operating systems ranging from 2000 to Vista) and 3 are macs.

I am every bit as frustrated with the macs at times.

Honestly, the only totally good operating system I think Ive ever run is the Linux Ubuntu - but of course the problem with all Linux platforms is software.

You just cant win.

yeah thats true too, but at this point im almost ok with being frustrated about running software and not having to really worry about getting a virus lol...the malware definately did something to the system, i just can't figure out what...there isn't enough information about the specific malware on the internet just yet...it must be a couple of months old...i was attacked by a different one that changed my proxy settings in october...lol...now this...

Archived