• France
    • Portugal
    • Côte d'Ivoire
    • Chile
    • Mexico
    • USA
    • Cameroon
    • Paraguay

Whichever Mod reads this, I wanted to add more teams to the Poll, but I was only allowed 15 slots - so I took the top 15 from an "odds" site - and purposely omitted Greece in the 15 slot who was also tied with the USA at 85-1... Personally, outside of England, I am voting for USA - as it can onyl bring good to North American soccer, and hopefully attract more players to the MLS.

anyways, maybe Greek Hockey coach won't mind. :o

Ahhh, I might have to explain why I hate Germany and England in football (I don't hate the countries!):

Germany, because its media go on my nerves when it comes to football! Since most Luxembourgers watch football on the German telly, I know what I'm talking about! That's why I usually watch big tournaments on the Belgian telly!

England: Never talk to a common Englishman about football, after them they're the best, no discussion... (Although they have been only once World champions, this in 1966 very probably due to a ref's error. "Poor" Germans, they could have been 4 times World Champions by now.)

And they're too proud because they invented modern football... It's like Canadians and hockey, but the Canadians have at least won several times the Olympics and the World Championships!

France is also a country I don't like that much in football, this also due to a strong exposure to the this time French media.

England: Never talk to a common Englishman about football, after them they're the best, no discussion... (Although they have been only once World champions, this in 1966 very probably due to a ref's error. "Poor" Germans, they could have been 4 times World Champions by now.)

And they're too proud because they invented modern football... It's like Canadians and hockey, but the Canadians have at least won several times the Olympics and the World Championships!

Good grief, how many "reffing errors" are their in soccer? It happens like 2 x per game. One time World Champions is still better than no-time World Champions - and yes of course England is proud of it's Soccer heritage; it invented the game, has the best most exciting league in the world, and some of (if not) the most passionate fans. You just can't beat that recipe. I'm sure Spain would trade in their Euro victory for a World Cup one - even though I think the Euro is a better all around soccer tourney (minus Brazil and Argentina).

Hah, I really don't think that England 'invented' the game, they were merely the ones that adopted modernized rules for the game... In fact, they tried passing laws to prevent soccer from being played. I'm pretty sure soccer's origins trace back to somewhere in Asia, believe it or not.

Despite being 2nd generation Irish immigrant and my grandfather being a huge soccer fan (he even played), I just haven't been bitten by the soccer bug. I even spent a summer in St Leo and went out to the bars with friends to see the games, I have troubles getting into it.

Maybe if I watched more and got to know some of the teams and players. I'd like to sit here and talk soccer, but I'm at a loss. All my Greek friends from Park X tried, I guess I'm just a hockey fan 1st.

Eukinfindme, guess you're the soccer guru here... Good job with the soccer threads.

Yes, similar games have also been played in Europe. Even some First Nations had similar games on ice.

But here it's the same as with football and England, modern ice hockey with most of its actual rules was invented in Canada, more precisely in Montréal.

Yes, similar games have also been played in Europe. Even some First Nations had similar games on ice.

But here it's the same as with football and England, modern ice hockey with most of its actual rules was invented in Canada, more precisely in Montréal.

I thought it was somewhere in the Maritimes (Nova Scotia)?

Hah, I really don't think that England 'invented' the game, they were merely the ones that adopted modernized rules for the game... In fact, they tried passing laws to prevent soccer from being played. I'm pretty sure soccer's origins trace back to somewhere in Asia, believe it or not.

I'm not even going to bother with a wiki link or such. England is the birthplace of soccer as we know it today. Maybe, there were some Neanderthals kicking a camel head around into an oasis between two palms... maybe, before. ;)

Despite being 2nd generation Irish immigrant and my grandfather being a huge soccer fan (he even played), I just haven't been bitten by the soccer bug. I even spent a summer in St Leo and went out to the bars with friends to see the games, I have troubles getting into it.

Maybe if I watched more and got to know some of the teams and players. I'd like to sit here and talk soccer, but I'm at a loss. All my Greek friends from Park X tried, I guess I'm just a hockey fan 1st.

Eukinfindme, guess you're the soccer guru here... Good job with the soccer threads.

I will be the first to admit that soccer is not an easy sport to get into if you don't follow. I have played all my life, much of it against some of your friends in St. Leo (Bourassa), so obviously I love it - but the problem is lack of scoring. Even I have troubles on low level Premiership games, but generally I can watch any game start to finish.

The key is to choose a team. Ireland is out, so you need another. Put some money down on it (enough so that if you lose you feel a sting) and wham - you will be hooked.

How do you think the NFL does so well?

I root for England..the only reason I could give you, is that when I was a kid, I became a Manchester United fan and Beckham was my favorite player, so I even cheered for him on the National stage. I also like Ireland a little since my grandfather is Irish.

Also, two teams I don't necessarily root for, but that I love watching are Spain and Germany.

Since Canada always gets shafted during Qualifying by some painfully obvious fixed officiating, I've adopted the Netherlands as my World Cup team for the past four tournaments. Has anyone noticed that this year there's no real "Group of Death"?

I think the level of world play has increased so much that there are no longer Group of Deaths - especially since they seed the top 8 teams anyways so they don't play each other. As for Canada, it has nothing to do with Officiating - it has always been about geography. Now, with the MLS taking firm hold in North America - and with Toronto having a natural grass field, most players will migrate to the Toronto FC naturally, and that way the National players can get comfortable playing with one another.

You will see a vast improvement in next qualifying rounds. Ideally, I would like none of Canadian players to play in Europe unless they are a top elite player playing for a Champions league team. otherwise, stay in north America and reduce the travel, increase the play - and bond with fellow teammates.

Lukas Podolski is awesome.

He has all the tools but he's had a few pretty mediocre years playing for Bayern and the return to his hometown club Cologne hasn't exactly been succesful either, considering he scored a whopping 2 goals this season.

Archived