The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Ovechkin's Disrespect

i posted this in the game day thready from yesterday as it was mentioned there too:

yeap i saw it on tv live yesterday and mentioned it here...i wasnt impressed...some are saying thats his pre-game thing when playing away...but here is my rebuttle to that...he could have stopped in the other direction...still come in just as hard and stop...but he could have done it so he didnt get the kid...and people are saying oh the kid will brag about how he got a snow shower from ovechkin...are you kidding me...who the hell would brag about that...thats just flat out disrespectful...its a little kid...i bet you if one of our players did that to a kid wearing an ovechkin jersey holding a caps flag the media would be all over him...

This really signifies what that guy from the Caps is all about. He's number 8 for the Washington Capitals, what's his name again? Whatever, the kid got sprayed, that's not a big deal really, he'll have a story to tell when he's older. The whole issue here is about class, #8 from the Caps has zero of that, zero class. Would you ever see Crosby, Gionta, Niedermayer, Lecavalier, Thornton, Sedin Twins, Avery do that? That's right, I think that you would be hard pressed to find Avery doing something like that. OK, OK, maybe Avery is a little less classy but I am sure that you know what I am getting at here.

This really signifies what that guy from the Caps is all about. He's number 8 for the Washington Capitals, what's his name again? Whatever, the kid got sprayed, that's not a big deal really, he'll have a story to tell when he's older. The whole issue here is about class, #8 from the Caps has zero of that, zero class. Would you ever see Crosby, Gionta, Niedermayer, Lecavalier, Thornton, Sedin Twins, Avery do that? That's right, I think that you would be hard pressed to find Avery doing something like that. OK, OK, maybe Avery is a little less classy but I am sure that you know what I am getting at here.

i dont even understand how that would be a cool story when hes old...hey once i was holding the flag for the habs during game 4 of a playoff game and ovechkin snow showered me...if i had a friend who told me that id give him this look twice :blink: this look once :mellow: and then tell him to never tell that story again ...lol its not a cool story at all...it just shows how the kid got disrespected by a guy who is the face of the game...thats all it is...everyone who is saying oh its ovys pre game ritual away from washington...oh the kid has a cool story...thats a bunch of crap...its not even that the habs lost...i was upset about this when he did it...they showed it on rds LIVE...and i was livid...cause thats a little kid and you just disrespected him and his team by doing that...you can stop the same way at a different angle and not have showered the kid at all...ovechkin cannot tell me that someone with his skill would have been unable to do that...it was done on purpose and it was classless...if avery did that no one would be backing him up about it and i can 100% guarantee that...the amount of garbage this guy is allowed to get away with is stupid...from cheap shots to classless acts like this...and hes one of the main faces of the nhl???...thats trash

I used to respect this guy because of all the stories I'd hear about how he was great with the fans and especially the kids. After watching that, I'll never respect that loser again regardless of what he accomplishes in his hockey career. What a huge loser!

I really wish we win the next three & he can go cry for the summer.

Guest ForeverGuyLafleur
I used to respect this guy because of all the stories I'd hear about how he was great with the fans and especially the kids. After watching that, I'll never respect that loser again regardless of what he accomplishes in his hockey career. What a huge loser!

+1

A real tosser all the way. No wonder why I dropped off from his fanclub months ago.

I heard this discussed on Team 990 while driving to work... I even stayed in my car to hear what Team 990 had to say.

I understood that he's a kid himself and he does a lot for kids, which I have a lot of respect for. RSD mentioned that he could've turned and stopped to his left so he wouldn't spray the kid... Well, for anyone who's ever played hockey and knows about pre-game routines, you'll also know that every little detail is crucial. Stopping left when you're pre-game ritual/routine is to stop right is just bad mojo. The 93 habs, their pre-game ritual (from the moment they left the dressing room) was completely rehearsed and I mean everything was rehearsed! From a tap on each other's shin pads, to a nudge, to which skate touched the ice first was very important. Nothing we saw in their warm up was random, most teams have their rituals, but when you get to the post season, it's even more important that you maintain these rituals without the slightest variation.

All that to say, I understand why Ovy didn't break left if his whole routine dictates that he must break right. What bother's me, is that the kid wasn't expected it and it did take him by surprise. The poor kid is nervous enough and after it happened, he stopped waving his flag and seemed frozen. What I would've liked to see from Ovy, is to acknowledge what he did. Finish his routine, sit his butt down on the bench, but before going back to the dressing room-I don't know-tap the kid on the head, give him a hug, something to show that he didn't do it to humilate the kid in front a packed house. Let's face it, the poor kid was probably already nervous, worrying about waving the flag properly and hoping he didn't trip and fall. I don't see it as an honour, I see it as belittling. Having Ovy Tap him on the top of the head would've been and honour or having his pads tapped by Ovy, now that is something to brag about the next day at school.

I see the whole snow job as another jab at the Habs by Ovy. I don't know if I'll lose respect for him, but I definitely think it's in very poor taste. Take a jab at our goaltender, our coach, waterboy, etc... But not a kid who's living a dream, skating in the bell centre and being a part of the Habs pre-game program. He took a kids highpoint and turned it into a scary and embarrassing moment for the kid... And yes, it had to have been scary for the kid. Turning around to see ovy coming at him full speed only to stop within inches of him and spraying him with snow. The kid stayed there frozen, not waving the flag, completely scared stiff.

I disagree with most people here once again ;) I think that either he didn't notice him and also even if he did notice him, he wasn't really paying attention. He's in the "zone." All he's thinking about is winning the game. When it's a huge game like that and your adrenaline is pumping, you're less likely to notice most things. He's so focused. I'd gladly have Ovy playing on the Habs!

I disagree with most people here once again ;)

Same here...though some here may feel that I'm bias for the fact that I for one am a Ovie fan....always have been from the start.....still am.(though,of course I hope we indeed find a way to knock off him & the caps).

Ovie's just being ovie....many do not like how he presents himself,and that's find.....I really find it difficult to believe he intentionally set out to embarrassed this lad........but I do wish he'd had acknowledge after the fact....like someone else here mentioned,at least a pat on the shoulder with a smile or something.......I do not find it as classless as some state here.....but that's just my opinion & take on it.

Ovie likes to goof around in a weird,fun kind of way..

He's his biggest fan, a legend in his own mind.

Possibly. :lol:

Same here...though some here may feel that I'm bias for the fact that I for one am a Ovie fan....always have been from the start.....still am.(though,of course I hope we indeed find a way to knock off him & the caps).

Ovie's just being ovie....many do not like how he presents himself,and that's find.....I really find it difficult to believe he intentionally set out to embarrassed this lad........but I do wish he'd had acknowledge after the fact....like someone else here mentioned,at least a pat on the shoulder with a smile or something.......I do not find it as classless as some state here.....but that's just my opinion & take on it.

Ovie likes to goof around in a weird,fun kind of way..

Really never knew you liked him.

I read in the paper today or somewhere that he did it for fun & he thought the kid would think it was cool too.

Yep just Ovie being Ovie.

I for myself don't like Ovechkin, but that's just me. I think that sometimes supestars tend to be full of themselves and forget that fans are the reason why they are where they are. :blink:

That being said, the way he behaved offended a lot of people, and I think he should realise that we are not in his head, so it's not easy to acknowledge this kind of behavior. If he likes to joke, fine. But he should be aware that fans are important and should not be treated like they are nothing. I heard that usually he's ok with fans, but lately, he did things that make me think it's not so. I really hope that those kids who wanted an autograph are not going to hold this against Ovechkin. Plenty of other players in this league love to please fans and talk to them, so I think they should not be affected by the way he ''swiffered'' them. ;) As for the kid carrying the flag at Bell Center, well I just thought it was stupid of him to do that. This was not an Ovechkin moment, it was a HABS moment, in my opinion of course. :D

I don't really think it's a big issue, and I think if we were up 3-1 in the series, no one would be talking about this. AO did do it on purpose, but it was just for the fun of it, nothing harmful, nothing disrespectful. I did feel bad for the little guy, but to take it personally would be a mistake.

Something I would like to see is one of our guys giving their little skating kids a snow shower. It's all in good fun....I think so, anyways. If he had done something like trip the kid or knock the flag out of his hand, then I would be upset, because that is clear disrespect. A snow shower on the other hand? I took more offense to the Tomas Jagr comment :lol: .

Ovie is a great hockey player but one day he will get what is coming to him mark my words...You would never see someone like Crosby do this kind of thing...Ovie is the kind of player that you can get under is skin quickly and nobody in Montreal realizes that I wish somene would teach him a lesson sooner then later...I hate that guy with a passion never liked him and never will he gets away with too much

Archived