The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Playoff Refereeing

kinot-1

I haven't seen a thread here about the reffereeing (did I spell that right?) in the NHL, so if the mods have this moved, I'm OK with it.

Some calls have gone right, and (as far as I'm concerned) a LOT have been wrong. On Fri. MAB got away with a 4 min. penalty for high-sticking,,,,and tonite, Gionta got called for a dive, (did you see the replay?). No way should have Laps got the 2nd dive penalty. Goal crashing has become a whole new other sport.

This is what Dave Hodge a hockey pundit (whom I respect for his views) had to say about this years playoff refs. dated Apr. 24th.

"I have never been one to criticize NHL refs, and I won't start now because the game is incredibly fast and the rules incredibly complicated, or vague, or poorly written or just plain wrong. Whatever the refs rule on a puck kicked into the net is open to debate, and subject to review, of course. Whatever they call, or don't call on a hit to the head can be followed by a suspension. You tell me what goalie interference is? I'm not sure the refs know. The appearance of blood can be evidence of an infraction that nobody saw, or it can bring a penalty that is undeserved. What's icing and what's not? What's diving and what's not? What's a suspendable instigator penalty and what's not? Was it a hit from behind or did the injured player turn his back at the last minute? A broken stick equals a slashing penalty. Even when the officials count too many men, and they can count, coaches tell them they're wrong. I could go on and on, but I'm taking too much time, and that's a penalty."

The more that this type of reffereeing goes on, the more ummmmmm, I dislike Campbell and Bettman. the rules are soooooo complicated and undefined (no black or white,,,,lots of grey areas), I just can't see how a Canadian team will win the Cup. I feel the league is prejudiced against us (Canadian teams, because we reg. sell out) and I will be surprised if any Canadian team (meaning us and the Canucks) makes it past the 2nd round.

PPs in the Canadians games:

Ott/Pitts 27-22 for Pitts

Van/LA 21-20 for Van.

Mon/Wash,,30-27 Wash.

JMHO

this entire playoffs ive been commenting on how bad the reffing is. blatant non calls every game , every night. its like playing a video game with penalties on low. 5 blatant ones go by and then randomly something will get called

Haha, that's actually a bang-on assessment :lol:

I thought that the first diving call on Lapierre was completely warranted. Lappy tried to play the ref for a fool and he got what he deserved.

The second call on Lapierre was not deserved, but was predictable. Right or wrong, if you're a player already in the ref's bad books because you've tried to make them look foolish and you're generally known as a shift disturber... well, it is what it is. I don't like basing calls on the player who comitted the infraction, but that's just how these things tend to work. I'd let this call go too if not for...

the Gionta "dive" :blink: . Seriously, guys? I don't think Gionta could do a flip that cleanly if he was intentionally trying to draw a call. This call was just terrible in every way, especially because it harkened back to the calls in game 2 that let the Caps back into the series. For shame.

I thought that the first diving call on Lapierre was completely warranted. Lappy tried to play the ref for a fool and he got what he deserved.

The second call on Lapierre was not deserved, but was predictable. Right or wrong, if you're a player already in the ref's bad books because you've tried to make them look foolish and you're generally known as a shift disturber... well, it is what it is. I don't like basing calls on the player who comitted the infraction, but that's just how these things tend to work. I'd let this call go too if not for...

the Gionta "dive" :blink: . Seriously, guys? I don't think Gionta could do a flip that cleanly if he was intentionally trying to draw a call. This call was just terrible in every way, especially because it harkened back to the calls in game 2 that let the Caps back into the series. For shame.

That's exactly my assessment of it too. If the refs didn't have reason to target Laps before, they certainly did after the first comedy routine. It's all a little sketchy, but as a player if you're caught trying to make the ref look like a fool, you will be punished, and probably unfairly so. I'll never like the call, but I would have understood it if it weren't for the garbage Gionta call just prior.

Laps just needs to smarten up, but at the same time when he does get away with a dive it helps him get under players' skins, and that works to his advantage. Because of that, he will probably never smarten up.

One more observation on the reffing of last night's game: I found it annoying how much they changed the way things were called as the game went on.

There were quite a few borderline calls for both teams near the beginning of the game that the refs chose to ignore. Pierre or Benoit (I can't remember which) even made a comment about it on RDS, something along the lines of "I guess the refs have sent the message loud and clear what the call is going to be like tonight". But you know what? I've got no problem with that. Maybe they let some things go but, hey, it's the playoffs. That's how it works and it was even for both teams.

What irks me is that, like in game two, the decisions to blow the whistle started coming fast and easy as soon as the Habs built a respectible lead. I'm still not convinced that there's some sort of crazy conspiracy against Canadian teams (well, maybe there's one against Lapierre, but he probably deserves it :P). There is, however, a huge problem with changing how the game is called just because one team is ahead and you don't think it will have as much of an impact or you want to 'even things out' a bit.

Simply put, the refs should not be evening anything out. The best refereed games are the ones where you don't notice them. They should not be having any impact on the series, and that's where these officials have failed.

Man?? do people actually think the league has a meeting with the refs and tell them to favour one team over another??? It's absolutely ludicrous. Bad refereeing is one thing but to think it is a league mandated order??? Some of you are on the wrong message boards. Try the ones that talk about second gunmen, moon landing was actually in Sudbury, pharmaceutical companies holding back the cure for cancer, 9/11 was carried out by American government etc etc etc

I guess I'm still steamed about game 2 when the Caps were allowed to run all over Halak. Prior to the playoffs, The NHL sent out a memo to all teams regarding goalie interference and warning they were going to crackdown on it. Where the heck were the calls? Last night 3 diving penalties called against one team in a game (Has that ever happened before ever???).

Man?? do people actually think the league has a meeting with the refs and tell them to favour one team over another??? It's absolutely ludicrous. Bad refereeing is one thing but to think it is a league mandated order??? Some of you are on the wrong message boards. Try the ones that talk about second gunmen, moon landing was actually in Sudbury, pharmaceutical companies holding back the cure for cancer, 9/11 was carried out by American government etc etc etc

We at the Lone Gunmen are rabid Habs fans that wear dark tinted glasses and listen in to all NHL meetings from the top down... we try to look out for the little guy :D

If you only knew how corrupt professional sport is, you'd be brought down to earth to a whole new reality. :o

We at the Lone Gunmen are rabid Habs fans that wear dark tinted glasses and listen in to all NHL meetings from the top down... we try to look out for the little guy :D

If you only knew how corrupt professional sport is, you'd be brought down to earth to a whole new reality. :o

lol . I never said they weren't corrupt.

the fist call on Lapierre would have been fair only if the boarding was also called along with the diving. it was clearly a dangerous hit with the player in a vulnerable position. But I can live with that call assuming the refs were trying to send a message against diving.

Second call on Lappy, I don't even know where to begin, the highstick was made with the puck nowhere near the play. and how is a player not supposed to go down when hit in the face with a stick? it's just natural reaction. not like he was rolling around on the ice pretending he was cut...he got right back up! I'll be OK if the ref missed that call because it was so far behind the play...but they apparently didnt miss it because they called the dive!

Gionta...oh well...no player should ever be able to fall down again if thats a fair call with the stick caught up right between his skates. I found it funny how Lapierre was looking back at the referee in a later play when he fell near the boards trying to avoid a hipcheck. almost as if to say...oh no, I fell again...I promise it was not on purpose! lol

well I don't think Bettman has actual meeting with refs to tell them who to favour...but i also think the refs know very well which match up will be good for the league according to Bettman. They are less afraid to make a call against teams like the Habs or Flyers compared to the Caps or pens.

The none call is what I dislike the most. Laich and Knuble regular do three things to Halak. They run into Halak. This is supposed to a penalty. They also put their stick into Halak and push Halak with their stick making it difficult to impossible to stop the puck. This should be a penalty. And the third thing they do is they prevent Halak from getting in the correct position. This should be a whistle and face-off outside our zone. None of these are getting called. In game 2 at least two of the goals scored by the Capitals were the result of these none calls. Given how well Halak has played in the 3 wins. It is only a matter of when they go after Halak. I am a fan of Price but right now Halak has stolen 3 games. The mighty Capitals and especially Ovechkin will take out Halak. This could simply result in a Caps goal or worse it could result in our team losing Halak. I think that the NHL should use the two best refs for game 7. And simply tell them to call penalties. If our teams deserves 6 penalties then call them. If the Capitals deserve 6 penalties then call them. Of course this will not happen. Ovechkin versus Crosby is already planned for the 3rd round. Therefore our team will have to be really careful and steal another game on Wednesday. Maybe then the NHL will understand that Montreal is actually more important then the Capitals when they see the millions that the Canadiens send to New York to pay for the Yotes losing money every second.

Late in game 5. The Capitals had a penalty. I guess that gave them freedom to do whatever was necessary to tie up the game. At least two times the Capitals players took penalties in the final 60 seconds but magically they did not get called. They nearly tied the game. NHL has a bad smell with the quality of the refs.

I can almost predict that PK Subban will go end to end in game 7. Get hooked or tripped. No call.

The none call is what I dislike the most. Laich and Knuble regular do three things to Halak. They run into Halak. This is supposed to a penalty. They also put their stick into Halak and push Halak with their stick making it difficult to impossible to stop the puck. This should be a penalty. And the third thing they do is they prevent Halak from getting in the correct position. This should be a whistle and face-off outside our zone. None of these are getting called. In game 2 at least two of the goals scored by the Capitals were the result of these none calls. Given how well Halak has played in the 3 wins. It is only a matter of when they go after Halak. I am a fan of Price but right now Halak has stolen 3 games. The mighty Capitals and especially Ovechkin will take out Halak. This could simply result in a Caps goal or worse it could result in our team losing Halak. I think that the NHL should use the two best refs for game 7. And simply tell them to call penalties. If our teams deserves 6 penalties then call them. If the Capitals deserve 6 penalties then call them. Of course this will not happen. Ovechkin versus Crosby is already planned for the 3rd round. Therefore our team will have to be really careful and steal another game on Wednesday. Maybe then the NHL will understand that Montreal is actually more important then the Capitals when they see the millions that the Canadiens send to New York to pay for the Yotes losing money every second.

Late in game 5. The Capitals had a penalty. I guess that gave them freedom to do whatever was necessary to tie up the game. At least two times the Capitals players took penalties in the final 60 seconds but magically they did not get called. They nearly tied the game. NHL has a bad smell with the quality of the refs.

I can almost predict that PK Subban will go end to end in game 7. Get hooked or tripped. No call.

there will be a call all right,,,,,for diving :blink:

I guess I just have way too much faith in humans LOL The funny thing is I have friends who are die-hard Sabres fans, Ottawa fans and Detroit fans..... they all say they got jobbed or are getting jobbed big time in much the same fashion we are all complaining about by the refs. Just goes to show, depends on which side of the fence you are sitting on. ;)

I guess I just have way too much faith in humans LOL The funny thing is I have friends who are die-hard Sabres fans, Ottawa fans and Detroit fans..... they all say they got jobbed or are getting jobbed big time in much the same fashion we are all complaining about by the refs. Just goes to show, depends on which side of the fence you are sitting on. ;)
I do believe the Sens got jobbed... phase one of the NHL project was a success. Crosby and the Pens move on.

It is not really that funny... those teams listed above are just not what the NHL wants to see in the finals. Notice how the Coyotes are going from not making the playoffs, going through bankruptcy and being propped up by the NHL to where they are now... sure the players have done their part, but almost certainly they've had help along the way (they would be the NHL's version of a "Cinderella Story" and an acceptable marketing tool for promoting the positive potential of all struggling US franchises)

The refs have surely done their part in the mandate. And the message has been effectively passed down from the top to the ice surface.

The reffing sucks the end. Seriously though when more and more fans think there's a conspiracy then its highly likely that there is one. I only hope the Habs can overcome the extremely bad officiating.

It doesn't necessarily mean there's a conspiracy, it just means the quality of officiating isn't very good. I mean, how do the Captials fan base feel about the officiating? I assume they weren't too happy when Belanger got a few teeth knocked out by a careless Bergeron high-stick that went uncalled. That's four minutes of missed powerplay opportunity for Washington right there, in a game that they wanted badly.

The reffing sucks the end. Seriously though when more and more fans think there's a conspiracy then its highly likely that there is one. I only hope the Habs can overcome the extremely bad officiating.

I dunno, I'd say that more and more people believing that there's a conspiracy only means that they'll need more and more tinfoil to make all of the hats. I'm with J_R, in that I don't think it's so much a conspiracy as it is bad refereeing. Obviously they're going to miss some calls, it's a fast game, but they can't be making even-up calls for the team that's losing and they can't be calling these ludicrous diving penalties (which is not a spur of the moment mistake, but a conscious decision). You'd also think that some plays have obvious enough results that they could confer with the other ref and call a penalty, with a few examples being Belanger missing seven teeth or a stick jutting out from under Sedin's visor.

I dunno, I'd say that more and more people believing that there's a conspiracy only means that they'll need more and more tinfoil to make all of the hats. I'm with J_R, in that I don't think it's so much a conspiracy as it is bad refereeing. Obviously they're going to miss some calls, it's a fast game, but they can't be making even-up calls for the team that's losing and they can't be calling these ludicrous diving penalties (which is not a spur of the moment mistake, but a conscious decision). You'd also think that some plays have obvious enough results that they could confer with the other ref and call a penalty, with a few examples being Belanger missing seven teeth or a stick jutting out from under Sedin's visor.

Agreed.

We also saw a few penalties from the last game called by the referee at center ice when the referee standing to the immediate right of the play made no call, which always freakin' drives me nuts. I mean, the guy is right there and makes NO CALL, and then the official standing half an ice surface away thinks he has it right by making the call!? <_< This happened, minimum, twice last game.

Agreed.

We also saw a few penalties from the last game called by the referee at center ice when the referee standing to the immediate right of the play made no call, which always freakin' drives me nuts. I mean, the guy is right there and makes NO CALL, and then the official standing half an ice surface away thinks he has it right by making the call!? <_< This happened, minimum, twice last game.

IMO there is no-way the referees can be so incompetent in what is supposed to be the best League in the world... unless they've been instructed how the game has to be called and have become the scapegoat for the league knowingly. Sometimes they screw up (so-called human error, the game is so fast etc.) yes... but the blatant non-calls while watching it happen and questionable phantom calls (to fulfill a mandate... like hooking, holding and interference) or calculated guesses, at selective times without consistency can only be explained as being something other than all of the excuses that are mantra.

Archived