The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Mea Culpa

RockMtl

There comes a time when you have to 'Man' up and admit when you're wrong!

I've been a Habs fan for all my life (40+ years) and do admit that I gave no chance to our team - first off - to make the playoffs this year and secondly make any respectable run if indeed they did. Now - I know it's only half way -- but BOY was I wrong!! The Washington and now the Pittsburgh series has left me shaking my head and asking myself - 'What did I miss?'. 'Why did I not give them a chance?'. Well my questions were answered by a total TEAM effort in disposing the #1 and #2 seeds right before my eyes. Maybe not pretty - but very effective! So, no matter what happens from here on in MY Habs have made me proud!

I was wrong - I admit it!!

This could be a busy thread. :lol: I'm certain (deep down) that everybody had some doubts during the season. I myself never admitted to any outwardly, but deep down ,,,,,i'd be a hypocrite to say i was 100% convinced they would put up the performance were witnessing now. I would never give up on my team and would never agree that we should tank a season for draft picks. I've seen enough playoff miracles in my life to know that anything can happen in a 7 game series. Dont question it,,, just sit back and enjoy the ride. This is special. ;)

I've been a Habs fan for all my life (40+ years) and do admit that I gave no chance to our team - first off - to make the playoffs this year and secondly make any respectable run if indeed they did. Now - I know it's only half way -- but BOY was I wrong!! The Washington and now the Pittsburgh series has left me shaking my head and asking myself - 'What did I miss?'. 'Why did I not give them a chance?'. Well my questions were answered by a total TEAM effort in disposing the #1 and #2 seeds right before my eyes. Maybe not pretty - but very effective! So, no matter what happens from here on in MY Habs have made me proud!

Good stuff.

I think most are guilt of that to an extent.

In my own case, I felt we had a decent chance to beat Washington - as everyone knows I am the consummate optimist. However, when we got down 3-1 I felt that was over. I remember saying to a friend "Washington is not a team you come back 3-1 against." Boy was I wrong.

As we entered the Pittsburgh series, I felt we had a shot. Game 1 made me nervous, but after game 2 I knew we could do this. At that time I said "I want to win this thing in 6 games - i do NOT want to be going to a game 7 against pittsburgh - they will be unbeatable in that situation" - again, I was wrong.

So, I am sure many of us were at least a little wrong (surprised) in how our team has done, I think we can all agree that, going forward, we're all on the same page. :)

after we beat the caps i was starting to have faith in my habbies but my friend kept saying that crosby was gonna munch them for dinner so i made a bet : if the habs win, he eats a sock and i film it.

i'll post the video here soon !

Everything you have said ( and so well put ) just change the years to 60. and I am on the list.

I believe the list would be smaller if we were to ask ‘who thought they would’

I know the OP means well, but there is no reason for this topic to have its own thread.

After discussing the issue with my fellow mods, I've reopened this thread on the grounds that I closed it too hastily. It does, in fact, warrant being open. My apologies to all, and to RockMTL in particular.

Also, it gives me a chance to say mea culpa one more time! :)

I like to keep my expectations low and predictions dark so that when they win it's even more exciting! :P

Really though, I didn't expect them to get this far and truth be told, I'm still a bit baffled. It's crazy.

While I never lost faith, I still can't fathom what we've accomplished thus far. I'm still nervous as hell over the next series. I hope the players maintain the same level of play and not get over confident over what they've accomplished. If they go in with the attitude that we beat Washington and Pittsburgh and this should be easy, odds are that we'll lose. They have to keep feeling that they're the underdog in order to go all the way.

I was wrong about the commitment levels of certain players when we signed them...Cammalleri, Gomez and Spacek to be specific. I also thought brinnging PK Subban up for game 7 against Washington was stupid and another example of Montreal putting unnecessary pressure on a young player. and like almsit everyone else...I would never have bet money o the Habs coming this far; especially after finishing the season as the 8th seed and on a losing streak.

I think we could add everyone to this list cause if we would have spoken to 1 million Hab fans before this all started there are not too many that had faith (especially how upset/sad we were with the results of the last 3 games/the way we got into the playoffs).

That said..please don't anyone wake us up from this DREAM until ...... ;)

I think we could add everyone to this list cause if we would have spoken to 1 million Hab fans before this all started there are not too many that had faith (especially how upset/sad we were with the results of the last 3 games/the way we got into the playoffs).

That said..please don't anyone wake us up from this DREAM until ...... ;)

Well said !!

Another reason why (last 3 games), many are saying - WHAAAAAAAAA...!!

PS: For those MILLION fans - send me 1$ and I will send you a blurb on FAITH!! (LOL...can't blame a guy for trying..!!)

I'm still nervous as hell over the next series. I hope the players maintain the same level of play and not get over confident over what they've accomplished. If they go in with the attitude that we beat Washington and Pittsburgh and this should be easy, odds are that we'll lose. They have to keep feeling that they're the underdog in order to go all the way.

This.

I am cautiously optimistic that the team is very well aware of this & will be ready. It doesnt hurt that one of our coaches (muller) was in a similar situation: hard fought battle, overcoming supposedly "better" teams & then facing LA in the finals whom everyone thought was worn down and weak. We lost the first game & were VERY close to losing the second...until the team smartened up and started playing honest, hard working hockey again.

While I never lost faith, I still can't fathom what we've accomplished thus far. I'm still nervous as hell over the next series. I hope the players maintain the same level of play and not get over confident over what they've accomplished. If they go in with the attitude that we beat Washington and Pittsburgh and this should be easy, odds are that we'll lose. They have to keep feeling that they're the underdog in order to go all the way.

couple of weeks ago i predicted win against the pens and defeat in the conference finals, but im not sure about that any more. gomez, gionta, gill, moen and spacek have so much heart and playoff experience and they won't take it easy no matter who will be our next opponent. it doesn't mean we will win that series for sure (fatigue might be the biggest issue), but im convinced that they will give everything they have to reach the stanley cup finals.

btw i have a lot of mea culpa material as well.

after cammy got injured before the olympic break i thought we were doomed and i suggested trading plekanec and halak for picks and prospects and tanking for top 5 pick (we were only couple of points ahead of bottom five). also i went crazy when gauthier traded 2nd pick for dominic moore because i saw the habs as a sellers not as a buyers.

boy, i was sooooo wrong!

If we're all confessing our sins here, I might as well own up to mine. I picked Pens in 6 (albeit not on this board but on a hab's fan blog). I said JM's system - which was clearly an advantage over Washington's Swiss cheese defense - would not hold up to a more well-rounded team.

I am thoroughly delighted to be wrong, and who'd have ever thought crow could taste so delicious? :lol:

Guest habs1952

I've got nothing to admit! :lol: :lol: I learned a long, long time ago about the mystique of the Canadiens. Throughout their history, and 24 cups later, the Canadiens have adapted their game to suit their team. It's hockey. Anything can happen. You just gotta believe in your team. :)

I've got nothing to admit! :lol: :lol: I learned a long, long time ago about the mystique of the Canadiens. Throughout their history, and 24 cups later, the Canadiens have adapted their game to suit their team. It's hockey. Anything can happen. You just gotta believe in your team. :)

:lol::lol: I wouldnt admit it neither,, but i wasnt trash talking to anybody, so i guess thats a sign of some doubt. ;)

gomez, gionta, gill, moen and spacek have so much heart and playoff experience and they won't take it easy no matter who will be our next opponent.

Ive heard a lot about heart, but I think experience is the more important factor here. Someone mentioned in another thread & I agree:

If you're an experienced playoff performer like the 5 mentioned above, you know how rare it is for things to come together the way they have for montreal this year. You know that to expect a performance like we've had from Halak in future years is unreasonable - and unrealistic. You know that to be able to knock out not one but 2 of the premiere teams in the league in the opening rounds is not the norm.

These guys (As well as other less seasoned 'warriors' on the team like Cammy, Moore, Lapierre etc) know that the time to capitalize is now.

They will not be content with a third round exit. These guys can smell the finals & they want it. Will they win there? i dont know, but I would be quite shocked if they dont find a way to at least get to the dance & from there well...what was it they all said at the end of the season? "its the playoffs, as long as you make it, anything can happen" :)

I felt that a healthy team was a much better team then 8th place in the East. For sure beating the Capitals and Pens is a surprise. But I always thought we could win. Our team had a good record against the Capitals in the regular season. Maybe this is a dream but 1971 and 1986 were also not expected. Players giving everything to win and a hot goalie. I think that our team has played with heart and pride. Timely scoring from Cammi and Gionta. Rookie PK Subban replacing our All Star Markov. Incredible number of blocked shots. And a really hot goalie. The series against the Bruins or Flyers should be a 4 game sweep for our team. The Finals will be difficult. Hopefully the ghosts from the Forum are happy at the new arena. We need some luck and plenty of pride to win #25

I'll admit.

IMO, the Team never really showed a lot of reason, through the 1st 82 games, to risk Hope for very much. Let's be serious, we had 3 games to clinch a position, to potentially avoid the Capitals (not that I mind, now; hindsight's always 20/20) and we barely got what we needed off the Leafs in our last game of the season. Yes, there were injuries, but in a lot of 'big games' throughout the season - that last week, in particular - I didn't see that element of Never Quit that I've seen that we're all talking about now.

My own memories only allow for 2 Cups and I've been waiting 17 years for "the mystique of the Canadiens" to kick back into gear. I thought it was there so often, most notably when the Team went 2 games up on the Hurricanes only to go out in 6.

I'm eating my crow and I'm enjoying it. :):D

I hope this means the Ghosts of the Forum have finally moved into the Bell Centre.

Okay... I picked Washington in 5 even though based on the season series split I felt the Habs might get lucky and win more than one game. As for the Pittsburgh series I was slightly more optimistic picking the Penguins in 6 (after seeing how the Habs had already played the limit against stacked odds). But with Pittsburgh I felt if the Habs could get lucky they could possibly win more than two games. The season split was not as even but the Penguins had struggled at times this past season and had a hard enough time with a depleted Ottawa team.

IMO the Habs were only really a little lucky in the end... with the odds increased by the way the games would be called once again stacked heavily in favor of the Penguins as they had been with the Capitals. The Habs were actually better than just very good... nearer excellent and deserving of full credit IMO. They cheated less and still won!

Its a hard thing to do playing every game, no... every shift knowing your team is playing as if they are going to be penalized for 60 minutes with the opposition being allowed to get away with near murder and your not. The opposition cheated alot more and still lost!

HABS 2 LEAGUE 0

BRAVO!!! HABS!!! BRAVO!!!

Archived