The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Your Hab Game Superstitions??

Great thread idea, and it's been fun reading everyone's so far :D

I normally keep a neatly trimmed beard all year long, but once a year, on the day that the Habs magic number hits the zero mark, I shave the whole thing and then shave again every morning until the first playoff game. After that there's no touching it, no matter how itchy it gets. Only thing is that the Habs have never made it this far since I've been able to grow facial hair :P. It's getting pretty beastly and my co-workers are starting to wonder about me :blink: ... but I'm certainly not changing now!

It's hard to get Molson EX here in Halifax, but at one of the downtown stores they sell it... but only in those giant 1L cans. So there's tonnes of it, it tastes awful and it's inevitably hovering around room temperature by the time I finish it all, but I've bought one giant can for game 1 of each series and plan to get another for Sunday. Then I can go back to the regular stuff.

I also have the same friends over to watch each playoff game, and I always give them the same colour jerseys. The only time one of them switched from white to red was Pittsburgh's game 5, so needless to say we're not letting her do that again. Also, for game seven on Wednesday my friends baked me a cake decorated with the CH. It's not really a tradition, per se, but it sure tasted great and I'm hoping it becomes one soon :D

Great idea for a thread HTL. I don't really have any rituals. HOWEVER.......

As you know I live in SASK so playoffs games start at 5 for me & I work till 6.

For this years playoffs I listen to the first period on the internet then drive like a maniac to watch the next two.

For both games sevens I left work early so I could watch the entire game. Boy I'm so happy I did for the last game. I think I can still hear Cindy crying.

So, I will have to do the same for the next round...right?! :D

I'm in regina right now and will be here for Sunday's game. I went to Thomas Cook for game 7 but no one seemed to care about the Habs much. Any suggestions where I should go on Sunday? If there's none I can just stay in my hotel room and watch it on the 50" Plasma screen...but alone :(

Oh and I forgot to add the playoff beard in my last post...my gf, mom, sister...basically everyone hates it. I look horrible with a goatee lol...but it's working!

Well, my rituals kinda change... When I played, I didn't dare change a thing. Now watching hockey, I feel I have a lil more freedom.

1st, I wore my jersey's during the caps game. Then the Habs started to lose, so I picked up a Cammarelli jersey and the Habs still lost!

Then, I started to watch the games jersey-less and the Habs came back with 3 straight wins, woohoo!

As soon as the Habs eliminated the caps I shaved (wife doesn't like a full beard, she likes to see some facial skin), but didn't shave again til this morning.

After the 1st loss against the pens (still jersey-less), I decided to go jersey-less again for game 2, then again for game 3. I'm pretty sure it was game 6 I decided to break out the Cammer jersey again (up until that point, I kinda draped them over the back of the sofa), but it was game 6,-do or die and I decided to go try my Cammer(desperate times). To my surprise, Cammarelli scored 2 goals that night, so I wore it again for game 7 and Cammer scored again and the Habs won!

Don't know what my rituals will be for the next round... I guess I'll continue to play it by ear, like I did for the 1st 2 rounds-somehow it worked, so why test fate. Game 1 of the eastern conference finals, I'm going with my Cammarelli jersey, since I've been wearing it again, he's been scoring.

Oh yeah, I have a neighbor who's a huge hab fan as well. We get together from time to time for the games, since April, every time we watched a game together, the Habs lost. <_<

We watched a few of the Caps games together... Yeah, Habs lost those one's too. So, every time he invites me over for the game (or wants to come over here), I come up with an excuse. No offense against my neighbor, but for some reason when we watch the games together, Habs never win. I just don't know how long I'll be able to hold him off... I'm sure he's starting to think I don't want to see him. It's not that, I just want the Habs to win!

Oh yeah, one ritual that never changes (win or lose), is my Molson "X". I always manage to (at the very least) have 3 Molson "X's" on hand... One for each period. Weekends I drink a lil more.

I'm a lot like that too - if we start losing under one clothing configuration, time to try another! :lol:

Great to hear everyone's 'thing' they got going. For me it was during these playoffs.

First game we won, then we lost the next three. I decided it was time to see if the jersey had any power. From the moment I woke up on game day, I put it on. Because it was exam time, I was mostly home and studying. Flipping through the stations on the radio, i heard I gotta feeling by the black eyed peas. I stopped it there and danced like a mad woman. Later that night, Habs win.

I think its the jersey so next game day, even when I had to go write an exam, I had my jersey on. The sixth game, I was half asleep early in the morning when I heard the song. We're gonna win tonight, I thought (you know what happened). I never wore it on off days and when not wearing it, it was hanging behind my bedroom door. Game 7, same thing for the whole day exam and all. And again I heard the song. Even though I didn't see the game, I was sitting in BMO field surrounded by TFC fans with my jersey. The thing is, I didn't try to hear the song, it just happened and I never heard it on off days.

I was like wow, something is up.

Next round, game 1, I wasn't able to wear it all day and no song, they won. I said, that's the way it is, they didn't need it the first time game one so its all working out. Game two was the same story. I was not able to wear it all day and no song so a loss. Game 3 was the one I went to. Getting up at 5:30 get ready to go to the train station, I sat there in my jersey eating breakfast and heard the song. This is it, we're gonna tie this up! And we did.

Saturday was not able to wear the jersey all day and habs lost even though I heard the song. that was its only loss so far. Last two games (and trust me I would not write all this is it wasn't true), I was able to wear the jersey as soon as I got up and on monday when I was cleaning my room and Wednesday when I was eating lunch, I heard the song.

Wow, I feel crazy for actually believing in this :blink:

Sorry its a novel. lol

I'm in regina right now and will be here for Sunday's game. I went to Thomas Cook for game 7 but no one seemed to care about the Habs much. Any suggestions where I should go on Sunday? If there's none I can just stay in my hotel room and watch it on the 50" Plasma screen...but alone :(

Oh and I forgot to add the playoff beard in my last post...my gf, mom, sister...basically everyone hates it. I look horrible with a goatee lol...but it's working!

I'd invite you over but Sunday is my wife's birthday. I don't know which location Habs fans would meet as I watch every game at home.

You bet. Like i mentioned,,,,my blankets winning % is well above 500 when i see the game from the opening faceoff.I've had to shuffle my work schedule like crazy to make sure i get there in time to see the puck to drop for all playoff games. My neighbour ( Leaf fan :rolleyes: ) was laughing at me as i ran out of the car Wednesday night just before the game. He yells over to me ,,,"" cutting it pretty close arent ya"" Needless to say,,,,i made it. :D

What time does your neighbour - the Leaf fan - get home to watch the golf network! :lol:

:huh: I can't tell you.....it's bad luck :huh:

Awesome

I had to work on my Habs game superstition. First it was an old Habs t-shirt, which seemed to have little luck. Then I bought a Jersey and gave that a try. Still nothing. But after dumping $150 for the jersey, I was determined to find a combination that might work. I finally found what something that has been working thus far. I wear a button up nice collar shirt, blue in color under my Habs jersey. The collar has to be pressed and neatly pulled up through the neck of the jersey. Wearing this with a pair of jeans has been a recipe for success thus far. Also, I purchased an 8 pack of Molson Canadian during the series and consider it my lucky 8 pack. Not being an avid drinker, it lasted me a couple of games, both games the habs won. I have one beer left in the fridge from that 8-pack, and come hell or high water, it will remain there until the end of the playoffs for the Habs.

I have two recently purchased Centennial jerseys I started wearing for games. I started wearing them about the time the Habs were fighting just for a playoff spot. I continued wearing them because it never dawned on me they were directly responsbile for the Habs struggling. :lol: I didn't get the hint until after Game 2 of the Washington series. After that game I took both of the jerseys and in my disgruntled mood pitched them onto my living room chair. They've been there ever since untouched until further notice. Nobody is allowed to touch them because since they've been in their docile state things have gone much better for the Habs. A co-worker would like to see them but I refuse to move them until after the playoffs. I really think there is something to that Centennial curse. The Centennial is over and I will properly display the jerseys or wear them after the playoffs are a done deal. I'm having company this weekend and the living room is clean and tidy except for those jerseys. I'll have some explaining to do when my company arrives. Oh well.

I also mowed my grass during the Game 4 referee debacle. That seemed to change the flow of the game and we won. So I considered mowing the grass whenever things went wrong for the Habs. But honestly I'm just too old and tired to do that. Besides they've managed to win without me looking like an idiot mowing my grass when it didn't even have time to grow. Admittedly I could use the exercise but I'd rather exercise my arm by drinking a beer and watching the game. Although it's not out of the realm of possibility of mowing again should the refs take me to that point. LOL

Aside from the above I don't think I'm superstitious at all. :lol:

haha this is an awesome idea for a thread.

I never really had a ritual until the playoffs started.

Every game day I make sure to drink at least one glass of Kool-Aid (:P)

About ten/fifteen minutes before the game is about to start I go to my room and put on my Cammalleri shirt, and bring down my Habs bear and banner.

I only put on my Habs knee socks just before the puck is about to drop for the first period.

The banner is on the table next to me, and the bear is on my lap, along with a black pillow from my couch.

My mother and nephew watch the first period with me, and leave the room only after the first period is done.

haha this is an awesome idea for a thread.

I never really had a ritual until the playoffs started.

Every game day I make sure to drink at least one glass of Kool-Aid (:P)

About ten/fifteen minutes before the game is about to start I go to my room and put on my Cammalleri shirt, and bring down my Habs bear and banner.

I only put on my Habs knee socks just before the puck is about to drop for the first period.

The banner is on the table next to me, and the bear is on my lap, along with a black pillow from my couch.

My mother and nephew watch the first period with me, and leave the room only after the first period is done.

Strawberry? :D

This is fun, and yeah, I do have game superstitions.

I only wear Habs gear that I have worn when they won the last time (yes, I have a closet full of Habs clothing and merchandise :P )

Next to this, I will not predict during the play offs or be (very) positive (a big reason why I am not logged in that much lately ;) )

Also I prefer red as the main colour on game day, it concerns food, drinks, clothing etc..

For me I quess these are the main supersitions :D

I also have a strict rule of never betting on the Habs. To me,,,,its the ultimate jinx. Anybody else feel this way or am i on an island on this one??

Grow beard starting at beginning of round 1. If we make it through round 1, I can start shaving my neck. If we make it through round 2, I can start trimming my beard around the edges to keep it clean looking.

1 car flag for round 1.

2nd car flag added for round 2.

3rd car flag added for round 3.

4th car flag added for round 4.

5th car flag added for stanley cup!

Must wear at least 1 habs related article of clothing for the whole day if there is a Habs game that day.

My wife, brother in law, father and myself are hab fans. My mom is a leaf fan. I force her to wear a habs jersey when she comes over to watch the games. We wear the jailbird jerseys until we lose. When we lose, we switch to old school Kovalev/Koivu jerseys. I added my habs hat for game 7 against Pittsburg for that extra uummphh!!

Finally, if we are losing, we turn our jerseys and hats backwards to engage the "rally" superstition.

Go Habs Go!!!!!

Archived