The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Game #1 ǀ #8 Canadiens @ #7 Flyers | May 16, 2010 | 7:00pm

ColRouleBleu

80 members have voted

1. 1. Which Cinderella gets this dance?

• The small pretty one wearing red white and blue?
    • The ugly hairy one wearing orange like her pumpkin?

header-philly-1.png

Season series:

Montreal and Philadelphia split the four games.

season-philly-1.png

First round:

Philadelphia beat New Jersey 4-1;
Montreal beat Washington 4-3.

Second round:

Philadelphia beat Boston 4-3;
Montreal beat Pittsburgh 4-3.

teams-philly-1.png

Offence:

Flyers — A patchwork crew prior to the return of Simon Gagne, who bounced back from injury to have an immediate impact against the Bruins. Philadelphia’s best player continues to be Olympian Mike Richards (16 points heading into Friday’s Game 7 against Boston) who leads the team’s offence and is the most responsible defensive forward on the roster too. Youngster Claude Giroux blossomed with the extra ice time, and Daniel Briere’s game is back to where it was three years ago. More is needed from Scott Hartnell though.

Canadiens — While Michael Cammalleri doesn’t get the ink Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin do, the sniper’s out-duelled both this post-season. His 12 goals are three better than Joe Pavelski for first overall in the scoring race, and he’s an early Conn Smythe candidate. Before we anoint him as the second coming, Cammalleri’s received critical support from fellow ’small-forwards’ Brian Gionta (seven goals), Scott Gomez (11 points) and Tomas Plekanec (11 points). Montreal might be under-sized on the attack, but quickness has made it a non-issue this spring.

leaders-philly-1.png

Defence:

Flyers — Anyone questioning the whereabouts of Chris Pronger’s game found the answer after the Olympics. Pronger is as significant as he was during Anaheim’s Stanley Cup run three years ago. The defence is a real reason behind the Flyers’ historical comeback against Boston. Braydon Coburn, Kimmo Timonen and undervalued Matt Carle are playing important, outstanding minutes.

Canadiens — Jaroslav Halak gets the headlines, and justifiably so, but the Habs’ blue-liners have proven more than capable. The return of Jaroslav Spacek at the tail end of the Pittsburgh set helps. Hal Gill plays important shutdown minutes against the opposition’s best, and Josh Gorges wins the lunch bucket trophy for hard work and puts in 23-minutes-plus per night. An underrated crew.

Lines in practice:

lineup-philly-1.png

Goaltending:

Flyers — Where would they be without the Phoenix-like Brian Boucher (.915 save percentage)? The veteran held serve until Michael Leighton’s return. Leighton’s been sensational, although a bit shaky early in Game 7 versus the B’s.

Canadiens — Habs’ brass must cringe every time someone hails Halak as the next Steve Penney (we all know where that story led). Halak has been flawless against both the Pens and Caps. Another Smythe candidate.

goalie-philly-1.png

Injuries:

Flyers — Gagne’s early return from foot surgery was a bonus. The Flyers are still missing Jeff Carter and Ian Laperriere as well as goalie Ray Emery. Boucher, Dan Carcillo, Giroux, Blair Betts and Hartnell are all hurting but should play.

Canadiens — Who isn’t battered and bruised at this time of year (cue the Leaf jokes)? Defenceman Paul Mara (shoulder), is the only one not likely to return.

Prediction:

Flyers win if: Momentum counts for much. The only team in the playoffs that can claim an edge on the Habs in the momentum department are the Flyers, who came back from a 3-0 deficit to oust the Bruins.

Canadiens win if: Momentum counts for much Part II. For once, the Habs will not enter a series as the overwhelming underdog. Wonder how that feels?

Tough call as both teams have shocked the hockey world, but given Montreal’s never-bend-much-less-break goaltending, the Canadiens in six.

Text by Dave Gross - The Gazette

GO! HABS! GO!

As a kid i remember wondering what it would be like to play in the East Final the final 4, to play a series for a ticket to the big dance for a chance to fufill a once in a lifetime dream

17 years coming, just makes you realize how few chances you have at this in life

Guest olddude

Awsome GDT CRB. Lets go boys, I need some new championship t-shirts :D . While I think this series will be played differently, the result will be the same, Habs win. I think we may lose the rope a dope and attack this series, we can go toe to toe with these guys.

Great GDT CRB. :)

I hope that the Habs win it tomorrow.

If anyone wants to laugh and understands french listen to this: http://radioego.com/ego/listen/4972

There was this radio show yesterday, and MAB called them.

The radio animator went into a big Halak VS. Price rant (how Halak was shunned and how Price was in the light) only to realise after 4 minutes to who he was speaking. I can not listen it without laughing and feeling shame for that guy. And the reaction when the guy realizes he is speaking to MAB is funny.

Excellent GDT as usual CRB. I feel more positive now - after a day of negativity surrounding our chances vs. the Flyers. The 4 Habs audio clips on HIO reveals they are fully aware of what they are up against, harbor no delusions, and JM is prepared and expects to make in-game and in-series adjustments. I have faith in Les Boys!

Love the GDT CRB you are always so imformative

Well lets just keep this going we still have nothing to lose done better than anyone expected although of course we knew they would

After one hundred years of history

What the HABS can do is no mystery

The problem was we were all stuck in yesterday

Not anymore the way this team play

The silly Phillies might be big

Some of our guys might be like a twig

But when a tree falls the big branches break

The twigs and sticks they hold a wake

For the big guys who couldn't take the fall

They are dead and gone after all

The little guys can still grow shoots

Some even make new roots

So I am not worried about our size

We will still carry away the prize

Our team has humiliated and beaten "the best"

Its no problem we can deal with and beat the rest

SO GO HABS GO :D :D

Excellent GDT as usual CRB. I feel more positive now - after a day of negativity surrounding our chances vs. the Flyers. The 4 Habs audio clips on HIO reveals they are fully aware of what they are up against, harbor no delusions, and JM is prepared and expects to make in-game and in-series adjustments. I have faith in Les Boys!

The negativity is all smoke and mirrors. We won twice as the underdogs, lets keep it that way ;)

Our guys are under no illusions they know this is not going to be a walk in the park and as long as we keep the faith and the heart we can do this, wish it had been the bears but no problem we don't have anything to lose or prove they have got a better defence than the other teams but I don't see that as a big worry we can outskate them and that makes up for it

GO HABS GO :D :D

The negativity is all smoke and mirrors. We won twice as the underdogs, lets keep it that way ;)

Suits me fine, and apparently suits them too. Cammy pointed out that they're still the 8th seed vs. the 7th, so I think the Habs are using that too as motivation. I read a good assessment of our chances vs. the Flyers on another board which stated, in a nutshell...

Habs in 6! :D

I concur!

Once again I find myself knee deep in the heart of the Heart Attack HABS! I am so stoked to see this series and watch these guys again. It is strange times we live in when the Flyers fans are actually being almost civil on their board about the Habs. I think they respect, as we all do, the efforts of both teams to get where they are right now. The Flyers are going to come out hard and fast, and will try to physically dominate our much smaller team. (I am calling them "our", wow never thought I would be doing that, lol!) The Habs have not harbored any illusions towards any teams they have faced and will not this time I'm sure.

We will come out and do what we have done so far, smart, fast, TEAM hockey. Expect Philli to get a little flustered with the Habs speed and take some penalties early on. If we can capitalize and keep the PP tight I think it will be a close game. I don't like to say who will win and by what score as it brings on the jinx, but you all know who I'm cheering for so.....

LET'S GO HABS!!!

Once again I find myself knee deep in the heart of the Heart Attack HABS! I am so stoked to see this series and watch these guys again. It is strange times we live in when the Flyers fans are actually being almost civil on their board about the Habs. I think they respect, as we all do, the efforts of both teams to get where they are right now. The Flyers are going to come out hard and fast, and will try to physically dominate our much smaller team. (I am calling them "our", wow never thought I would be doing that, lol!) The Habs have not harbored any illusions towards any teams they have faced and will not this time I'm sure.

We will come out and do what we have done so far, smart, fast, TEAM hockey. Expect Philli to get a little flustered with the Habs speed and take some penalties early on. If we can capitalize and keep the PP tight I think it will be a close game. I don't like to say who will win and by what score as it brings on the jinx, but you all know who I'm cheering for so.....

LET'S GO HABS!!!

nothing is guarunteed nothing done before this matters now, just 2 teams playing for a chance to play for the stanley cup

Pretty excited for tomorrow, I can't wait.

It will be a great confrontation, I hope the guys are not underestimating Flyers chances.

Anyways, I hope the Flyers will have a lot of penalties for playing dirty, especially against small guys like Habs.

I need some new championship t-shirts :D

2009-10 champs..... gonna look awesome.

LETS GO HABS!

Fantastic GTD CRB!

Ditto.

I feel more positive now - after a day of negativity surrounding our chances vs. the Flyers.

ya must have been talking to non-believers...stay away from them....at least till we hoist the cup. :lol:

thumbs_up.jpg

I hope the guys are not underestimating Flyers chances.

They made it here this far...I'm assuming their on the ball here....there not gonna take anything for granted.....they do believe though,as we do......GO HABS.......They'll be ready for them.

Great GDT..........I'm thinking we are in real trouble if we don't get one the first two in Philly, the Flyers have alot of momentum and confidence right now and two more wins a row may just put them on a roll we may have trouble stopping. Don't get me wrong I believe we will win this series but momentum and confidence together are a dangerous combination............

Guest habs1952
No one above here voted for the ugly hairy one. ;)

461388qh8dt5qfr1.jpg

If anyone does they deserve to get a Leaf's tattoo on their forehead!!! :angry:

The Flyers would be hard-pressed to even win a single game out of the first two this time around. The Canadiens know how to use their speed to counter the physical play of the Flyers (which I always associated to the Broad Street Bullies; I don't know if it still applies)

Archived