The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2010-2011 If I Were Gm

ashikhabib

Moderator's Note:

Do you have any suggestions to make the Habs better? Post all trade ideas and suggested signings here. You don't need a link, just an imagination.

I think we should aquire Zach Parise, Nathan Horton, and Mike Green by trade, and Anton Volchenkov by signing. I'd also trade Hamrlik for picks This year's lines...

Parise-Plekanec-Cammalleri

Horton-Gomez-Gionta

Pouliot-Moore-Lapierre

Pyatt-Metropolit-Darche

Green-Volchenkov

Spacek-Subban

Gill-Gorges

Halak

Dejardins

I think we should aquire Zach Parise, Nathan Horton, and Mike Green by trade, and Anton Volchenkov by signing. I'd also trade Hamrlik for picks This year's lines...

Parise-Plekanec-Cammalleri

Horton-Gomez-Gionta

Pouliot-Moore-Lapierre

Pyatt-Metropolit-Darche

Green-Volchenkov

Spacek-Subban

Gill-Gorges

Halak

Dejardins

Would we be able to acquire these guys? I assume AK & SK are gone in either the horton or parise trade, price probably in the parise, markov in the green trade, and was moen included in a trade or forgotten?

I agree, and also I don't think that New Jersey would give him up either.

Let's not forget, they use to hav Gio... There's probably a reason why they let one of them walk. 2 of the smallest players in the league on one team, ouch. in 08-09 they had the least amount of the goals in the east, with these 2 guys.

If I am GM on this day in May I'm seriously watching Chicago. They stand a good chance of winning the Stanley Cup. If they do find success some of there players will be more expendable IMO because of winning. They have some good, young centers and they need to shed cap space, I think.

For example let Pleks walk if he's asking too much and trade prospect(s) for Bolland or Sharp. Maybe they'd thow in Byfuglien too. :lol:

Sorry people, I had posted this in the If I were GM 2009-10 without realizing that this thread had been started. What do you think?

Center ($)

Gomez (7.357)

LW ($)

Cammalleri (6.0)

Moen (1.5)

RW ($)

Gionta (5.0)

A. Kostitsyn (3.25)

Defense ($)

Markov (5.75)

Hamrlik (5.50)

Spacek (3.833)

Gill (2.25)

Gorges (1.1)

O'Byrne (0.942)

Subban (0.875)

Total Fwds: $23.107 million

Total D: $20.25 million

Total G: $0.0

Total Roster: $43.357 million

Salary Cap: $unknown yet but I will go off the $56.8 million from this season

Total space for 2010-2011: $13.443 million

List of RFAs ($):

Lapierre (1.0)

S. Kostitsyn (0)

Pouliot (0.8)

Pyatt (0.8)

Price (2)

Halak (3)

List of UFAs ($):

Plekanec (4)

Moore (1.2)

Darche (0)

List of UFAs that I would try to sign on the open market ($):

Taylor Pyatt (0.9)

Line up

1) Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta

2) Cammalleri - Plekanec - Kostitsyn

3) Moen - Moore - Lapierre

4) White - Tom Pyatt - Tay Pyatt

D1) Markov - Subban

D2) Gill - Gorges

D3) Hamrlik - Spacek

G1)Halak

G2)Price

Now since I am not very good at evaluating trades I will not even begin to try working that out but in my perfect world I would trade Hamrlik for a draft pick to give room for some of our younger D men who are coming up (Belle, Carle and O'Byrne).

Another trade option that I would look at is the rights to one of our young goalies for a top six forward. Maybe someone will take Kostitsyn off of our hands too!

All in all, I don't think that another face lift is necessary. I like what Gomez brings to the table and would not write him off after one mediocre season in which he had to adjust to a lot plus being injured early on.

OK, so I decided to try a stab at a trade:

TO MTL:

RFA Joe Pavelski

Ryan Clowe

TO SJS:

Andrei Kostitsyn (3.25)

RFA Sergei Kostitsyn

RFA Halak

Hamrlik (5.5)

Am I way out to lunch here? I don't know! If I do this trade I would then not sign Plekanec and sign Turco.If this were to happen our line-up would look like this:

Pouliot(0.9) - Gomez(7.357) - Gionta(5)

Cammi(6) - Pavelski (3.5) - Clowe(3.5)

Moen(1.5) - Moore(1.5) - Lapierre(1)

White(0.6) - Pyatt(0.8) - Pyatt (1)

Markov(5.75) - Subban (0.875)

Gill (2.25) - Gorges (1.1)

Spacek(3.833) - O'Byrne (0.942)

Price ( 1.5)

Turco (3)

Total roster cap hit= 51.907

Even with Price at 2 and Turco at 4 we are at 53.4 (well under the current cap of 56.8 but I have heard that it may drop by 9 million????)

If I am GM on this day in May I'm seriously watching Chicago. They stand a good chance of winning the Stanley Cup. If they do find success some of there players will be more expendable IMO because of winning. They have some good, young centers and they need to shed cap space, I think.

For example let Pleks walk if he's asking too much and trade prospect(s) for Bolland or Sharp. Maybe they'd thow in Byfuglien too. :lol:

if i am Pierre i look at how the Hawks were built, through the draft and how vital it is

Sorry people, I had posted this in the If I were GM 2009-10 without realizing that this thread had been started. What do you think?

Center ($)

Gomez (7.357)

LW ($)

Cammalleri (6.0)

Moen (1.5)

RW ($)

Gionta (5.0)

A. Kostitsyn (3.25)

Defense ($)

Markov (5.75)

Hamrlik (5.50)

Spacek (3.833)

Gill (2.25)

Gorges (1.1)

O'Byrne (0.942)

Subban (0.875)

List of RFAs ($):

Lapierre (1.0)

S. Kostitsyn (0)

Pouliot (0.8)

Pyatt (0.8)

Price (2)

Halak (3)

List of UFAs ($):

Plekanec (4)

Moore (1.2)

Darche (0)

Taylor Pyatt (0.9)

Line up

D1) Markov - Subban

D2) Gill - Gorges

D3) Hamrlik - Spacek

G1)Halak

G2)Price

Now since I am not very good at evaluating trades I will not even begin to try working that out but in my perfect world I would trade Hamrlik for a draft pick to give room for some of our younger D men who are coming up (Belle, Carle and O'Byrne).

Another trade option that I would look at is the rights to one of our young goalies for a top six forward. Maybe someone will take Kostitsyn off of our hands too!

All in all, I don't think that another face lift is necessary. I like what Gomez brings to the table and would not write him off after one mediocre season in which he had to adjust to a lot plus being injured early on.

TO MTL:

RFA Joe Pavelski

Ryan Clowe

TO SJS:

Andrei Kostitsyn (3.25)

RFA Sergei Kostitsyn

RFA Halak

Hamrlik (5.5)

Am I way out to lunch here? I don't know! If I do this trade I would then not sign Plekanec and sign Turco.If this were to happen our line-up would look like this:

Price ( 1.5)

Turco (3)

Even with Price at 2 and Turco at 4 we are at 53.4 (well under the current cap of 56.8 but I have heard that it may drop by 9 million????)

that would be a fine deal for us

Center ($)

Gomez (7.357)

LW ($)

Cammalleri (6.0)

Moen (1.5)

RW ($)

Gionta (5.0)

A. Kostitsyn (3.25)

Defense ($)

Markov (5.75)

Hamrlik (5.50)

Spacek (3.833)

Gill (2.25)

Gorges (1.1)

O'Byrne (0.942)

Subban (0.875)

List of RFAs ($):

Lapierre (1.0)

S. Kostitsyn (0)

Pouliot (0.8)

Pyatt (0.8)

Price (2)

Halak (3)

List of UFAs ($):

Plekanec (4)

Moore (1.2)

Darche (0)

Taylor Pyatt (0.9)

Line up

D1) Markov - Subban

D2) Gill - Gorges

D3) Hamrlik - Spacek

G1)Halak

G2)Price

TO MTL:

RFA Joe Pavelski

Ryan Clowe

TO SJS:

Andrei Kostitsyn (3.25)

RFA Sergei Kostitsyn

RFA Halak

Hamrlik (5.5)

Price ( 1.5)

Turco (3)

Maybe I'm too concerned about this but what if Markov's "back on the ice" date comes to fruition which means mid November. Then our D to start the season is:

???????? - Subban (0.875)

Spacek(3.833) - O'Byrne (0.942

Maybe I'm too concerned about this but what if Markov's "back on the ice" date comes to fruition which means mid November. Then our D to start the season is:

Yeah, that is of concern but I think that we can manage with one of Carle, Belle or even pick up a cheap depth D man for the season! Not a MAB though!

I would trade Markov to Tampa for Hedman and maybe picks

Trade Price and Kostitsyn bros to LAK for Kopitar and Frolov.

sign Halak as RFA.

Trade Hammer for reasonable return price.

sign Andrew Ladd from Chicago, who will be a UFA. 2 top Lines: Frolov - Kopitar - Cammaleri Ladd - Gomez - Gionta

I would trade Markov to Tampa for Hedman and maybe picks

Trade Price and Kostitsyn bros to LAK for Kopitar and Frolov.

sign Halak as RFA.

Trade Hammer for reasonable return price.

sign Andrew Ladd from Chicago, who will be a UFA. 2 top Lines: Frolov - Kopitar - Cammaleri Ladd - Gomez - Gionta

LOL :lol:

I would like to get some size up front. Especially up the middle. I like Pleks but may be we can dish him off. There is a chance he may not sign so trade him before free agency.

To Florida

Pleks, Sk, conditional pick (7 rd if he signs, 1st if he doesn't) Florida might be able to sign him. They have cap space and have 6 active czechs so he might feel welcome there

To Montreal

Horton. We have a big center we have been needing. Signed for a few more years at 4 mil. Good price.

+.5 on total cap

Next I want Grit on the top 2 lines. They are soft right now.

At first Markov was on my trade block (don't be mad).

To Dallas

Markov, Patches- Dallas is in need of a top D since Zubov and Sydor have left. I don't know what happened to Patches this year but I thought he could be a decent pick up for someone.

To Montreal

Morrow, Grossman- Morrow is that grit I want up front. He hits and scores. Grossman is a big body on D.

This trade is highly unlikely due to Markovs injury

- 1.6 on total cap

Next is again some size up front.

To edm

Price, Ak and 2nd rd pick-Ak just doesn't do it for me anymore and price is probably better somewhere else

To Montreal

Penner, Pouliot- Penner is Big and they can maybe do something with price. Pouliot is some one who is up and down from 2nd and 3 rd line

-.1 on total cap

My last trade is simply a cap thing. Hammer for 2nd or 3rd rd pick

I would like to try to get Methot from Columbus

- 5.5 mil on total cap

Next we sign UFA Maholtra. Another Big center. A big replacement for Metro as for I let him walk. He is a guy that can possibly be moved into the top two lines in case of injury. Great face offs and size. He cost sjs .7 mil, so I think we can sign him with a little over Metros money, 1.2-1.5 mil.

We then sign Hamhuis. He is a big stong D we can use. He has a current cap hit of 2 but maybe we can get him for 3.75 per season

Sign Backup for Halak. Biron maybe a good choice.at 1.5

New Lines

Cammy.............Gomez.............Gionta........18.3 mil- loved it when they were together

Morrow..............Horton.............Penner........12.35 mil- big line that hits and scores

Pouliot...............Moore..............Maholtra........3.8 mil- To good centers and secondary scoring

Darche/Pyatt......Laps................Moen............3.1 mil- have to give Laps a higher offer/ good checking line

Subban........hamhuis..........4.9 mil

Spacek.........Grossman...............4.7

Jorges.....Gill........3.3

O.B........................9

Halak................................2.5

Biron ................................1.5

Total 55.35

What do you think?

P.S. Be nice lol

Hmm there was a thread for this that had like 300 postings.

But anyways if Montreal wanted, they could buy out Andrei Kostitsyn for 1/3 the price because he is so young. Obviously that is probably dumb but if they needed to drastically cut cap space it certainly is possible since his trade value is very low.

Sweet how Markov will be injured for at least a month at the start of the season, hurts his trade value and he will likely have a 6 million dollar contract next time, which the Habs might not be able to match if he goes UFA.

Subban will obviously be up with the big club next year and in a top 4 role most likely and the Habs seem to look like this.

Cammalleri-Gomez-Gionta

A Kostitsyn-?-?

?-?-Moen

?-?-?

Markov-Hamrlik

Spacek-Subban

Gorges-Gill

OByrne

No goaltenders signed yet + 500k extra to buyout Laraque or he will count 1.5 mill because of the No Movement Clause.

So ~13 million for 2 goalies, 2 top 6 forwards and 6 other forwards to give 13F-7D-2G=22 man roster.

Will be tough to build a team that can make the playoffs.

Edit: Not gonna lie, a Markov trade was the main way I saw the Habs getting rid of cap space which digs the hole a bit deeper now.

I would like to get some size up front. Especially up the middle. I like Pleks but may be we can dish him off. There is a chance he may not sign so trade him before free agency.

To Florida

Pleks, Sk, conditional pick (7 rd if he signs, 1st if he doesn't) Florida might be able to sign him. They have cap space and have 6 active czechs so he might feel welcome there

To Montreal

Horton. We have a big center we have been needing. Signed for a few more years at 4 mil. Good price.

+.5 on total cap

Next I want Grit on the top 2 lines. They are soft right now.

At first Markov was on my trade block (don't be mad).

To Dallas

Markov, Patches- Dallas is in need of a top D since Zubov and Sydor have left. I don't know what happened to Patches this year but I thought he could be a decent pick up for someone.

To Montreal

Morrow, Grossman- Morrow is that grit I want up front. He hits and scores. Grossman is a big body on D.

This trade is highly unlikely due to Markovs injury

- 1.6 on total cap

Next is again some size up front.

To edm

Price, Ak and 2nd rd pick-Ak just doesn't do it for me anymore and price is probably better somewhere else

To Montreal

Penner, Pouliot- Penner is Big and they can maybe do something with price. Pouliot is some one who is up and down from 2nd and 3 rd line

-.1 on total cap

My last trade is simply a cap thing. Hammer for 2nd or 3rd rd pick

I would like to try to get Methot from Columbus

- 5.5 mil on total cap

Next we sign UFA Maholtra. Another Big center. A big replacement for Metro as for I let him walk. He is a guy that can possibly be moved into the top two lines in case of injury. Great face offs and size. He cost sjs .7 mil, so I think we can sign him with a little over Metros money, 1.2-1.5 mil.

We then sign Hamhuis. He is a big stong D we can use. He has a current cap hit of 2 but maybe we can get him for 3.75 per season

Sign Backup for Halak. Biron maybe a good choice.at 1.5

New Lines

Cammy.............Gomez.............Gionta........18.3 mil- loved it when they were together

Morrow..............Horton.............Penner........12.35 mil- big line that hits and scores

Pouliot...............Moore..............Maholtra........3.8 mil- To good centers and secondary scoring

Darche/Pyatt......Laps................Moen............3.1 mil- have to give Laps a higher offer/ good checking line

Subban........hamhuis..........4.9 mil

Spacek.........Grossman...............4.7

Jorges.....Gill........3.3

O.B........................9

Halak................................2.5

Biron ................................1.5

Total 55.35

What do you think?

P.S. Be nice lol

All you can do is trade the rights to Plekanec which happens to be worth about nothing since he is going to want to test the open market anyway! The only team that I think he will deal early with is with the team that he has known for the last 8 years!

let pleky walk.. lets sign Marleau, everyone thought it was going to happen before and he can still play, hes showed it.. its perfect... and re-sign Moore to a 2 year contract.

Montreal trades rights to Price and 1st round pick to Chicago for Patrick Sharp. ??? I hope so!!!

Cammy -- Marleau -- A.K.

Gionta -- Gomez -- Sharp

Lappy -- Moore -- Pyatt

Trotter -- Desharnais -- Darche

Markov -- Subban

Gorges -- Gill

Spacek -- O'byrne

Halak

Desjardins

How about start by using our draft picks wisely? Right now, I would think we need all the prospects we can get.

I agree, think that we have a good core group of players. If we use Pacioretty and Maxwell porperly and develop them propely we can have a pretty potent offense next year. I would like to see one more decent puck mover on our bluline. If someone would take Hamrlik's contract............

Would we be able to acquire these guys? I assume AK & SK are gone in either the horton or parise trade, price probably in the parise, markov in the green trade, and was moen included in a trade or forgotten?

Here is the actual trades...

Price, Pouliot, and 1st Round Pick for Parise and 4th Round Pick

AK, SK for Horton

Markov and 3rd Round Pick for Green and 4th Round Pick

+ Volchenkov signing

Lines (Updated)

Horton-Plekanec-Cammalleri

Parise-Gomez-Gionta - They were all linemates in NJ when they won the cup

Moen-Moore-Lapierre

Pyatt-Metropolit-White

Green-Volchenkov

Spacek-Subban

Gill-Gorges

Halak

Dejardins.

Im not sure what the Sharks are thinking, they had a good playoff year finally, beaten by a very good san jose team. But if there is one area they may be weak it would definitely be think on defense. If its possible they want a new look, I would try and take some of there forward depth and size since that is an area they could afford to lose a little in if we compensate them well enough. This is what im thinking...

66Organize a sign and trade of plekanec and Marleau, or trade pleks rights for Marleau's rights, well this is obviously not a balanced trade, we should trade them Hamrlik since they would be taking Pleks and likely losing Rob Blake they can afford this, and we try to get another size guy to play third line someone like Malholtra...

Then offer S,Kost and A Kost and our 1st to Florida for Nathan Horton and their 1st, if they wont trade their first we take ours out, and ask for a depth d men as a 6-7 guy.

Lastly go for a second tier but still very good d man like hamhuis to replace hammer

Lines;

Cammy (6) - Marleau (6) - Horton (4)

Pouliot (1.5) - Gomez (7) - Gionta (5)

Pyatt (.75) - Malholtra (1.5) - Moen (1.5)

Lapierre (1) - Desharnais (.85) - Trotter (.85)

Darche (.6)

Markov (5.75) - Subban (.875)

Hamhuis (3.5) - Spacek (3.8)

Trade/ Carle (.85)

Halak (2.5)

Price (2.5)

Cap hit - 58.825 maybe a little high based on where the cap max goes, if tinkering needed to be done we could always trade a goalie for a good veteran backup and a prospect, or a high draft if any teams would be willing to give up a top 5-10 depending on what we want in the draft. Dont forget we also have desjardins in the minors who had an amazing season.

Thoughts?

Here is the actual trades...

Price, Pouliot, and 1st Round Pick for Parise and 4th Round Pick

AK, SK for Horton

Markov and 3rd Round Pick for Green and 4th Round Pick

+ Volchenkov signing

Lines (Updated)

Horton-Plekanec-Cammalleri

Parise-Gomez-Gionta - They were all linemates in NJ when they won the cup

Moen-Moore-Lapierre

Pyatt-Metropolit-White

Green-Volchenkov

Spacek-Subban

Gill-Gorges

Halak

Dejardins.

Parise has never won a cup.

How about start by using our draft picks wisely? Right now, I would think we need all the prospects we can get.

this needs to be a good draft for us, we need some good drafts in the coming years

Guest habs1952
let pleky walk.. lets sign Marleau, everyone thought it was going to happen before and he can still play, hes showed it.. its perfect... and re-sign Moore to a 2 year contract.

Montreal trades rights to Price and 1st round pick to Chicago for Patrick Sharp. ??? I hope so!!!

Cammy -- Marleau -- A.K.

Gionta -- Gomez -- Sharp

Lappy -- Moore -- Pyatt

Trotter -- Desharnais -- Darche

Markov -- Subban

Gorges -- Gill

Spacek -- O'byrne

Halak

Desjardins

24 million for gomez, cammy, gionta and marleau? Don't think its gonna happen. And Sharp for another 4 million?

24 million for gomez, cammy, gionta and marleau? Don't think its gonna happen. And Sharp for another 4 million?

we have around 43 committed right now for october baring moves to free up money

teams that need a #1 goalie Tampa Bay, Columbus, Atlanta, St. louis, We need a top 6 foreward for under 3m i do not believe any of these teams have any personal that we can afford therefore Halak because of his nice playoff run might net us a !st round pick maybe. Hamirlik contract for the year is too rich for any of the teams on his list maybe a dealine deal so we get something for him. plek's looks to be looking for 5-6m we need 4.5-5 at the most he may walk. Qualify all of our RFA including SK we may be able to trade like we did with Higgins. Try to trade AK might only get a bag of pucks for him. Could mean more promotions from the Dogs.

Pouliot-Gomez- Gionta

AK- Pleks-Cammy

Moen-Desharnais-Trottier

Pyatt- Moore- Lapiere

SK if he grows up and become the player we all knows his in him

Markov- O'Byrne

Gill- Gorges

Spacek- Subban

Hamirlik, Spacek, Gill can rotate to keep fresh for playoffs. One other player from the Dogs or a bargen UFA.

Archived