The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Yzerman New Bolts Gm

According to TSN... Yzerman is the new GM in T-Bay.

The Tampa Bay Lightning have called a news conference for this afternoon to introduce Steve Yzerman as their new general manager.

Yzerman - one of many candidates rumoured to be in the running for the job - replaces Brian Lawton, who was fired last month. Yzerman worked for four seasons as Vice President and Alternate Governor for the Detroit Red Wings after retiring as a player in 2006.

In 2009, the Hall of Famer was named Executive Director for the Canadian men's hockey team at the 2010 Winter Olympics and helped lead the squad to a gold medal in February.

Yzerman played his entire 22-year NHL career in Detroit and led the Red Wings to three Stanley Cups. Alongside general manager Ken Holland and assistant general manager Jim Nill in the front office, he also helped the team win a championship in 2008.

Last month, Tampa Bay's new owner, Jeff Vinik, fired Lawton and coach Rick Tocchet after the struggling franchise missed the playoffs for the third straight season.

Link=Stevey Y in T-Bay

I say this is a good move by T-Bay... What bothers me, it that we heard months later that Stevey Y would've taken the GM job in Montreal.

Heard it on team 990, he was actually insulted they habs organization didn't contact him. We could've had Steve Y as GM...

Heard it on team 990, he was actually insulted they habs organization didn't contact him. We could've had Steve Y as GM...

Other then his name being Steve Yzerman that wouldn't bother anyone. Not that I think Gauther was a great choice but I think the days of hiring ex players as GMs should be near dead and gone.

Steve has done a lot of things to prepare himself for this so he may succeed and if he does great for him but I doubt he's more qualified or better then many other people that most have never heard of in other organizations.

Other then his name being Steve Yzerman that wouldn't bother anyone. Not that I think Gauther was a great choice but I think the days of hiring ex players as GMs should be near dead and gone.

Steve has done a lot of things to prepare himself for this so he may succeed and if he does great for him but I doubt he's more qualified or better then many other people that most have never heard of in other organizations.

He can't be worse than his replacement... I don't necessarily believe x players as GM's is a thing of the past, but it does take one with a certain amount of business sense and a good hockey mind.

Wonder if he can get Lecavalier going and they have a big decision on St. Louis with only a year left on his contract????

They'd be stupid to let St Louis go... I think they've finally realized that the real star in T-Bay is not Vinny, but St Louis. Whoever St Louis plays with, seems to have 50 goal seasons, just look what he's done for Stamkos this season and how badly Vinny has done without him.

They'd be stupid to let St Louis go... I think they've finally realized that the real star in T-Bay is not Vinny, but St Louis. Whoever St Louis plays with, seems to have 50 goal seasons, just look what he's done for Stamkos this season and how badly Vinny has done without him.

Only thing is, Stamkos will be RFA a year later AND I tend to believe he will be up for a hefty raise LOL

Agreed....and when it was mentioned that Vinny to come here.....it was St.Louis that I would have preferred.

100%, because Vinny was potting all the goals, he got the glory. But what many people don't realize, is that most of his goals came from St Louis. Even during the all-star games, Vinny was there with St Louis on his wing. Where ever Vinny excelled, you can bet that St Louis was there. And it's even more evident after this season when Vinny found himself with new linemates. St Louis found a new linemate in Stamkos and surprise surprise, Stamkos pots 50 goals, shares the Richard trophy with Cros.

St Louis is such an underrated player, they know he's a good playmaker, but after what he did for Stamkos this season, it's pretty evident who the true star was all along.

I say this is a good move by T-Bay... What bothers me, it that we heard months later that Stevey Y would've taken the GM job in Montreal.

But does he speak french? :lol:

Bad?? I thought Vinny had a decent year. It is true that St. Louis makes players around him better but to say that Vinny played bad??? hmmm!

100%, because Vinny was potting all the goals, he got the glory. But what many people don't realize, is that most of his goals came from St Louis. Even during the all-star games, Vinny was there with St Louis on his wing. Where ever Vinny excelled, you can bet that St Louis was there. And it's even more evident after this season when Vinny found himself with new linemates. St Louis found a new linemate in Stamkos and surprise surprise, Stamkos pots 50 goals, shares the Richard trophy with Cros.

St Louis is such an underrated player, they know he's a good playmaker, but after what he did for Stamkos this season, it's pretty evident who the true star was all along.

it might be that line of thinking that Stevy Y might use in unloading him and his salary ( Vinny)....I doubt now that Montreal is even in the market unless they take back players with hefty salaries

Archived