The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

July 1st 2010: Free Agent Frenzy

FirstStar

Obviously this year wont be quite as crazy as last for us, but there should still be some excitement.

A big key is going to be Plekanec. If we resign him, look for us to make very minimal moves with regards to UFA. We could certainly move some salary and sign some more free agents, but I dont see it as being very likely.

If we dont resign Pleks then look for us to try landing a player to take his place. Unfortunately, I think it would be a short term solution (ie Cullen) to fill that role for 1 or 2 years.

Id really like to add some more big bodies.

I am very interested in Evgeny Artyukhin. He is a good skater, has surprisingly soft hands and is pretty much impossible to beat along the boards (6'6" 240+ lbs). His vision is obviously what has held him back, but Ive been saying for a long time that a "bob probert" type player, alongside Gomez & Gionta could be huge. Pouliot may yet be that guy, but Artyukhin could not only 'take care of himself' (like Pouliot and Moen) but also really add a 'protector' element to the two G's. Worth considering.

I would also be interested in a veteran winger. While you could certainly pick up a Guerin, Recchi, Sikora etc, Id be more interested in looking for this position via a trade. AK & SK to a team willing to move a veteran winger AND a top centre prospect. I think it could work.

Surprisingly, Im actually content to stick with our defense. The emergence of PK Subban and the way that Gorges & Gill gelled makes our whole back-end look a heck of a lot better. We may still have to move Hamrlik & his contract - and if that is so, then we'll obviously want to add another dman. Id like a big, strong, defensive-minded dman - Jay McKee type of player. I thought we were getting one in Paul Mara last year, but his hockey sense/positioning seems to have flown out the window. The Back-end, should we choose to move Hammer, should be relatively inexpensive to tweak because we arent looking for offense (which is what really costs the big $$$ on the blueline). Of course all of this would start with Markov: either we try to resign him long-term or we start fielding offers for him. I do NOT want to be in this position (him UFA) this time next year.

In nets, I truly believe we will start the season with both Halak & Price in uniform. If we are going to trade one, I frankly dont care which, as long as the return is good. There is inherent risk with moving either (or not moving either) so hopefully the team does its homework.

I know it's a lil early, but I've noticed a few members on here talking about July 1st. Well, I created this thread so people can start discussing their thoughts, expectations and the eventual outcome.

Enjoy!

week too late actually ahah because once we got eliminated last monday the draft and July 1 was the focus

In nets, I truly believe we will start the season with both Halak & Price in uniform. If we are going to trade one, I frankly dont care which, as long as the return is good. There is inherent risk with moving either (or not moving either) so hopefully the team does its homework.

I don't agree with that. I think Halak needs to be our starter, and Cedrick Desjardins or Curtis Sanford would still make a very nice backup. That being said, I think we need to move Carey. He is too good not to be a starter, and I think we can get a lot for him. We could easily get a very good prospect and a big top-6 forward for him. However, a move like that is not necessary, because there is a bottom line here. He is still really, really good. In essence, we can't go wrong, yet we can't do anything right. Nonetheless, I am very glad to be in our goaltending situation.

As for our defense, if we don't sign Mara and move Hammer, we will have Spacek, Gill, Gorges, Markov(I hope we sign him), Subban, and O'byrne. We could even sign Bergeron if we wanted to. But I wouldn't sign him to use him on defense. I would extend his contract a couple of years and use him as a speedy forward.

Forwards. Much more complex issue. Right now, we have

Gomez, Gionta, Cammy, Moen, Pyatt*, Moore*, Pouliot*, SK, Laps. I am unsure about the contracts of starred people, and I am too lazy to look it up.

Our free agents are AK, Pleks, Metro. I wouldn't mind not seeing AK back, but he worked well with Pleks and Cammy. I would definitely like to see the other two signed. That means we would have 12 forwards. Thats what we need, and the other two or three spots for those being healthy scratches/injured can easily be covered by the likes of Pacioretty, Trotter, etc.

However, we could move the brothers and we still have Laracque to use, so we could get another top-6. Overall, I would say we are in good shape, assuming we miss a natural amount of man-games due to injury next year so our team can gel further than we already have during the playoffs.

Note that this was typed up in 10 minutes with a few windows open for quick reference and is by no means 100% accurate.

I don't agree with that. I think Halak needs to be our starter, and Cedrick Desjardins or Curtis Sanford would still make a very nice backup. That being said, I think we need to move Carey. He is too good not to be a starter, and I think we can get a lot for him. We could easily get a very good prospect and a big top-6 forward for him. However, a move like that is not necessary, because there is a bottom line here. He is still really, really good. In essence, we can't go wrong, yet we can't do anything right. Nonetheless, I am very glad to be in our goaltending situation.

I dont get it. You said you dont agree - but you said pretty much exactly what I had just said. What dont you agree with, exactly?

I read somewhere (can't remember where) that Evgeny Artyukhin will go play in KHL next year.

Quite possible that he may, but maybe he wouldnt, if the right contract presented itself. That said, there has to be other guys out there like him: big, strong, good skater & able to score some garbage goals.

Remember that before lining up next to naslund, bertuzzi was considered by many to be a 3rd liner at best. He seemed unable to make the adjustment to the NHL game & many felt the best he would ever do was about 40-50pts. There are guys out there that could compliment our top guys. We just have to find them.

Pyatt*, Moore*, Pouliot*. I am unsure about the contracts of starred people, and I am too lazy to look it up.

Pyatt RFA, earns 850K. Most likely he will be re-signed and given a pay raise.

Moore UFA, earns 1.1M. We'll see what he wants to do.

Pouliot RFA, earns 803K. He'll most likely be re-signed and will get a raise aswell.

Our free agents are AK, Pleks, Metro. I wouldn't mind not seeing AK back, but he worked well with Pleks and Cammy.

AK is still signed with us for another year at 3.25M, then he becomes RFA.

To me the whole goalie dilemma boils down to only two points:

a) What, specifically, will another team give you for each.

B) How much does each expect to be paid.

a) Simply put, shop them both. I feel the Habs will be well off going with either of our two guys in the long term and I think that PG needs to approach any potential trading partner with that in mind. Rather than make a decision that "we're keeping Jaro" or "we're going with Price", the philosophy needs to be to see what we can get for each, take the better deal and keep the other goalie with the team. That's it, that's all.

B) The only other thing to consider is the kind of contract we're able to sign with them. I don't know what Price's situation is, but based on all of his 'Tweeting' Halak's agent seems like he could be really tough to work with. If he (or Price's agent) starts to get really greedy, it might be better to ship off that goalie and keep the cheaper option.

B ) How much does each expect to be paid.

Couldnt agree more. Look at the extreme (wont happen) but say Halak say he would sign for $2m and price for 750K - we'd be foolish to trade either, frankly regardless of what anyone offered.

Assuming that they will both want some coin (my guess is halak in the $3m+ and price close to $2m) then we will need to take a card look at your point A.

Quite possible that he may, but maybe he wouldnt, if the right contract presented itself. That said, there has to be other guys out there like him: big, strong, good skater & able to score some garbage goals.

Remember that before lining up next to naslund, bertuzzi was considered by many to be a 3rd liner at best. He seemed unable to make the adjustment to the NHL game & many felt the best he would ever do was about 40-50pts. There are guys out there that could compliment our top guys. We just have to find them.

I wish we could get Backes :) 2,5M i think next years.

A big key is going to be Plekanec. If we resign him, look for us to make very minimal moves with regards to UFA.

Id really like to add some more big bodies.

I am very interested in Evgeny Artyukhin. He is a good skater, has surprisingly soft hands and is pretty much impossible to beat along the boards (6'6" 240+ lbs). His vision is obviously what has held him back, but Ive been saying for a long time that a "bob probert" type player, alongside Gomez & Gionta could be huge. Pouliot may yet be that guy, but Artyukhin could not only 'take care of himself' (like Pouliot and Moen) but also really add a 'protector' element to the two G's. Worth considering.

I'd be ok with this for sure.

Are we getting Kovalchuk? :rolleyes::lol::P

Yea....chump change. :lol:

Yep, him and Marleau are both coming here. I heard from my friend that it's basically a done deal. ;)

Eklund...is that you?

Assuming that they will both want some coin (my guess is halak in the $3m+ and price close to $2m) then we will need to take a card look at your point A.

RFA rarely get paid over 3M so i would say : HALAK : 2.8 M,, and price : 1.4 -1.5 M (since halak got two times more wins then him ..so gets paid 2 times less :P)

RFA rarely get paid over 3M so i would say : HALAK : 2.8 M,, and price : 1.4 -1.5 M (since halak got two times more wins then him ..so gets paid 2 times less :P)

RFA gets paid whatever the comparisons due, within reason. If it goes to arbitration (and it will if Halak is after maxing out this contract) his comperables are: Hiller/Fleury/Jimmy Howard etc., who are all making some serious coin.

If Halak takes 2.8M, its a 1 season deal. Realistically, this may be the best option for the team. Give him a "Prove it, or lose it" season. Without a doubt he would like to cash in on this phenomenal season, that being said I do believe most people are still a little bit unsure if he can maintain this level of play (especially if he attempts a 60 game seaon).

I dont get it. You said you dont agree - but you said pretty much exactly what I had just said. What dont you agree with, exactly?

I don't think it would be smart to keep both. I think we should trade 1(preferably Price), but if we don't, we are still really good.

Pyatt RFA, earns 850K. Most likely he will be re-signed and given a pay raise.

Moore UFA, earns 1.1M. We'll see what he wants to do.

Pouliot RFA, earns 803K. He'll most likely be re-signed and will get a raise aswell.

AK is still signed with us for another year at 3.25M, then he becomes RFA.

Thank you.

That changes things a little bit, especailly with Gomez taking up cap space.

As for our defense, if we don't sign Mara and move Hammer, we will have Spacek, Gill, Gorges, Markov(I hope we sign him), Subban, and O'byrne. We could even sign Bergeron if we wanted to. But I wouldn't sign him to use him on defense. I would extend his contract a couple of years and use him as a speedy forward.

Forwards. Much more complex issue. Right now, we have

Gomez, Gionta, Cammy, Moen, Pyatt*, Moore*, Pouliot*, SK, Laps. I am unsure about the contracts of starred people, and I am too lazy to look it up.

Our free agents are AK, Pleks, Metro. I wouldn't mind not seeing AK back, but he worked well with Pleks and Cammy. I would definitely like to see the other two signed. That means we would have 12 forwards. Thats what we need, and the other two or three spots for those being healthy scratches/injured can easily be covered by the likes of Pacioretty, Trotter, etc.

However, we could move the brothers and we still have Laracque to use, so we could get another top-6. Overall, I would say we are in good shape, assuming we miss a natural amount of man-games due to injury next year so our team can gel further than we already have during the playoffs.

Note that this was typed up in 10 minutes with a few windows open for quick reference and is by no means 100% accurate.

we invested a ton into Price hes got world class ability as hes shown so i think we need to move Jaro its time to go with Price now

B) How much does each expect to be paid.

a) Simply put, shop them both. I feel the Habs will be well off going with either of our two guys in the long term and I think that PG needs to approach any potential trading partner with that in mind. Rather than make a decision that "we're keeping Jaro" or "we're going with Price", the philosophy needs to be to see what we can get for each, take the better deal and keep the other goalie with the team. That's it, that's all.

B) The only other thing to consider is the kind of contract we're able to sign with them. I don't know what Price's situation is, but based on all of his 'Tweeting' Halak's agent seems like he could be really tough to work with. If he (or Price's agent) starts to get really greedy, it might be better to ship off that goalie and keep the cheaper option.

right now Jaro will get you the better return you would think

RFA gets paid whatever the comparisons due, within reason. If it goes to arbitration (and it will if Halak is after maxing out this contract) his comperables are: Hiller/Fleury/Jimmy Howard etc., who are all making some serious coin.

If Halak takes 2.8M, its a 1 season deal. Realistically, this may be the best option for the team. Give him a "Prove it, or lose it" season. Without a doubt he would like to cash in on this phenomenal season, that being said I do believe most people are still a little bit unsure if he can maintain this level of play (especially if he attempts a 60 game seaon).

and especially with his collapse in each of the 3 rounds

right now Jaro will get you the better return you would think

Yep, I'd have to agree with you.

Maybe there's one GM out of twenty-nine, though, that is sure Price is the next great thing and is willing to give up a whole bunch for him. If he gives a better package than the other 29 give for Halak then I'd say go that way and ship out #31. That's why I think it's better to do it this way than to only shop Halak; they might be valued differently by different teams.

I mean, just look at the different perceptions in the Battle Between the Pipes thread :P

Yep, I'd have to agree with you.

Maybe there's one GM out of twenty-nine, though, that is sure Price is the next great thing and is willing to give up a whole bunch for him. If he gives a better package than the other 29 give for Halak then I'd say go that way and ship out #31. That's why I think it's better to do it this way than to only shop Halak; they might be valued differently by different teams.

I mean, just look at the different perceptions in the Battle Between the Pipes thread :P

if Carey is the next great thing which he can be then we need to keep him and move forward with the plan that we started in 2005

We should sign Koivu back, put the K bros on the same line and trade Roman for picks

My Lines:

Gionta-Gomez-Cammy

AK-Koivu-SK

Pyatt-Moore-Moen

Darche-Metro-Lapierre

Markov-Subban

Gill-Gorges

OB-Spacek

Price

Halak

I really like the Habs current team just a few tweaks and we should be good.

if Carey is the next great thing which he can be then we need to keep him and move forward with the plan that we started in 2005

There's still time for him, we've seen that trying to force him into the role doesn't work. Halak broke out at 24/25, so Price has a few years yet to find his form.

If we do keep him though (and let Halak go), I'd like to see us get a seasoned vet who can play 30 odd games a year (at a reasonable price).

There's still time for him, we've seen that trying to force him into the role doesn't work. Halak broke out at 24/25, so Price has a few years yet to find his form.

If we do keep him though (and let Halak go), I'd like to see us get a seasoned vet who can play 30 odd games a year (at a reasonable price).

a vet backup is vital, carey doesnt turn 23 until august and he learned a big lesson this year watching Jaro and how much time and effort it takes at this level and how it felt to ride the wood

he will take us where we want to go eventually

Archived