The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

The Best Ice In The League

For some reason, the ice in both the Bell Center and the Verizon Center have been pretty bad. However, I suppose that the Joe Louis Arena has better ice than that of the Verizon Center.

Really, the ice at Bell Center has been really bad only during the last two games played in Montreal this season, though.

What arenas have the best ice in the League? Conversely, the worst ice?

Not about the ice, but I love how the Habs built their arena so the visitors dressing room was across the ice while Montreal's was behind the bench. Some have them both behind the bench, Mellon Arena has both across the ice, but Montreal gives themselves a nice hometown advantage by having only one of the dressing rooms behind their bench.

Not about the ice, but I love how the Habs built their arena so the visitors dressing room was across the ice while Montreal's was behind the bench. Some have them both behind the bench, Mellon Arena has both across the ice, but Montreal gives themselves a nice hometown advantage by having only one of the dressing rooms behind their bench.

Yep, when players need to leave the ice for repairs or w/e, they can't just hop back on the bench, they need to wait for a whistle. It's so basic, I wonder why others dont do it.

Not about the ice, but I love how the Habs built their arena so the visitors dressing room was across the ice while Montreal's was behind the bench.

That's the way it was at the Forum

In fact the penalty Box was on the same side as the Habs player Bench

Best ice , I keep hearing Edmonton

That's the way it was at the Forum

In fact the penalty Box was on the same side as the Habs player Bench

Best ice , I keep hearing Edmonton

Make sense... We know that outside conditions does have a lot to do with ice conditions inside. Edmonton, even in the summer, is cooler than Montreal. We've had some pretty hot weather here lately, but in Edmonton (had a friend who recently returned), he says it still drops below freezing at nights (this is going into June).

So, it makes sense they have the best ice in the NHL. Too bad it didn't help their team. :P

JK... They're going to have a killer team in a few years.

Make sense... We know that outside conditions does have a lot to do with ice conditions inside. Edmonton, even in the summer, is cooler than Montreal. We've had some pretty hot weather here lately, but in Edmonton (had a friend who recently returned), he says it still drops below freezing at nights (this is going into June).

So, it makes sense they have the best ice in the NHL. Too bad it didn't help their team. :P

San Jose had more or less crappy ice during the WCF... coincidence?

JK... They're going to have a killer team in a few years.

Provided that they don't mishandle their development players/draft picks.

I've heard that Edmonton has the best ice, and I don't really know how to judge it. I will say that one time I went and skated at the Air Canada Centre on one of their free skates during the 2006 olympics. Best ice I've ever skated on, without a doubt. I don't know what it is about that ice, but it's just head and shoulders above any local rink I've ever played hockey on.

I've heard that Edmonton has the best ice, and I don't really know how to judge it. I will say that one time I went and skated at the Air Canada Centre on one of their free skates during the 2006 olympics. Best ice I've ever skated on, without a doubt. I don't know what it is about that ice, but it's just head and shoulders above any local rink I've ever played hockey on.

It is likely that the personnel affected to ice ops are better in NHL arenas (say, the ACC or the Bell Center) compared to the local rinks in which minor hockey is played.

Archived