The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

The Best/worst Owners In The League?

The best owner: Maybe I'm biased somewhat but I'd say the Molson family. I mean, the Habs are now valued at $1B and we have established ourselves as one of the most prestigious hockey teams in the NHL.

The worst owner: MLSE hands down. Despite having the richest team in the NHL, its upper management did nothing to rebuild the Leafs. Ill-carried player trades combined with a waste of draft picks made their life miserable.

The best owner: Maybe I'm biased somewhat but I'd say the Molson family. I mean, the Habs are now valued at $1B and we have established ourselves as one of the most prestigious hockey teams in the NHL.

The worst owner: MLSE hands down. Despite having the richest team in the NHL, its upper management did nothing to rebuild the Leafs. Ill-carried player trades combined with a waste of draft picks made their life miserable.

It's kinda hard to judge the Molson's since they've only had ownership for less than a year. No matter who owns the Habs, they make money and they'll always be a prestigious hockey (they're the Yankees of hockey).

As for worst... I agree with you, leafs suck. But I also feel that (despite making money) Rangers are bad as well. They have a history at throwing money at players. It's one thing to over-pay, it's another to over-pay a player past his prime. Now with the salary cap, they have to be a lil more conservative, but once again, in a cap world they managed to give Gomez a 7.3 mil contract.

Dolan, the Rangers owner has been a stick in the Rangers behind for a while, constantly getting involved in personnel decisions, much like MLSE used to.

For the best, Snyder (Phi) and Jacobs (Bos) come to mind, for their contributions to the league on the BOG and longevity. Obviously Koules was probably the worst before Vinik stepped in.

Worst owner and no mention of Wang? He personally gets involved in contracts -- Rick Dipietro for 15 years . He hired Garth Snow who had retired as a backup goalie after Neil Smith was hired and fired in little over a month (oh did I mention Mike Milbury) come on Wang is a wing nut.

Archived