The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Hartford Looking To Get One The Nhl Radar

I know the fans in Montreal always appreciated the whalers and our rivalry.....having the NHL in Hartford again would be a plus for the NHL. Former owner Howard Baldwin is making plans to get this city back in the eyes of the NHL. He is planning outdoor games, a whaler hockey fest, reunions, started a whaler sports entertainement company and much more.....check out these websites and leave a comment offering your support....thanks...

The new website:

http://www.whalernation.tv/

Facebook-

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=121...3;/WhalerNation

What places would seemingly have a higher priority than Hartford, Quebec City? Hamilton? Winnipeg?

In my opinion..there are only three cities that should be considered

Winnipeg - Hartford - Quebec

All cities that should not have lost their teams

Vegas or KC would be more disaters that we are seeing in Phoenix, Nashville and Atlanta

In my opinion..there are only three cities that should be considered

Winnipeg - Hartford - Quebec

All cities that should not have lost their teams

Vegas or KC would be more disaters that we are seeing in Phoenix, Nashville and Atlanta

Exactly...couldn't imagine teams in Vegas or KC at all.

and yes..you're probably right but this is how you begin to change that......you agree?

As long as you show a fanbase, owner and stadium the NHL usually considers the city. Looks like that's 1 of the 3.

What places would seemingly have a higher priority than Hartford, Quebec City? Hamilton? Winnipeg?

Probably Winnipeg, QC, Kansas City, Seattle, Milwaukee.

From everything I've read, on the fictional relocation priority list, Hartford's probably not in the top 3 and borderline top 5.

Leave it to MP to rain on Hartford's parade... JK. :lol:

I for one wouldn't mind seeing the whalers back, but in today's day and age, I think they'd have to change their name. Animal rights activists would have a field day. Personally I liked thweir green uniforms, I really liked how-if you looked hard enough-you could see an "H" and a "W" in their logo.

Being a goalie growing up, I always liked Mike Liut. What a great division the adams was back then. A very strong division, with the Habs, Sabres, Whalers, Nords and Bruins. That was one of the tightest divisions in the 80's, not many points separated 1st and 5th, from week to week, it was anyone's game.

Man, sure does bring back a lot of memories. As a whole, I hated the 80's. But I miss 80's hockey... I say bring back the Whalers so we don't have to face the leafs 6 times a season.

I've had this debate with MP before, he seems to have something for Hartford. He does not think clearly and is thinking just arenas and wich ciy has the shiny new building. Tell MP, how did that work for Phoenix, Nashville and Atlanta. You can give me all the figures you want but the bottom line is hockey is failing in those markets.

Hartford needs a new arena, I agree but the fact is we had 11,000 season ticket holders in '97 and we had an arena deal...the NHL needs to go where it IS WANTED

Is Salt Lake City a place for hockey?

Not too sure... It is city built by Mormons(strict religious and moral beliefs). To be honest, I can't think of another professional sport (except NBA)who has a team there. If the NFL isn't ready to take a gamble on SLC, then I don't think putting a hockey team there would be a wise decision.

There's a basketball team in Utah, called the Jazz, I believe they are situated in SLC. Since I don't follow basketball, I have no idea if they are succeeding or not. For the big 3 in the states (NBA, MLB, NFL), only one has tried a team in SLC. Apparently they do well with college teams (MLB farm teams) and I think they may have a soccer team, but if MLB or NFL haven't tried their luck, then I doubt the NHL has a chance.

It's a beautiful city though... Lovely to visit, not too sure I'd like to live there though.

I'd love to see the Whalers back. But, I read recently that Bill Daly said that there's almost no chance of it happening... so I'd not hold my breath on it until a long time after Quebec City and Winnipeg have teams again. Where else thereafter? Milwaukee possibly - Wisconsin is hockey country. Seattle has been rated by Forbes IIRC as one of the worst sports markets in the US, so that's likely a no-go. I also think they might try for Kansas City, though I think that's a moronic idea, myself.

So I think Winnipeg and QcC will get teams first, then someone else, maybe Milwaukee... however, Hartford probably will get a team way before Hamilton does. Though I'd heard that Ray Ferraro was saying it's not a good market, as there is little in the way of business that could support the team through luxury suites etc...

I don't see large differences in any of these markets.....Hartford,Winnipeg,Quebec,Columbus, and Raleigh. What the whalers lacked was good management and ownership. Marketing at times was non-existent. Even thru two winning seasons out of 18, we managed 11,000 season ticket holders. Also, Hartford is the largest media market in the U.S without a pro sports team.

We may never get a team , who knows but I just wanted to let my fellow hab fans know that Hartford is not giving up....damn, if that great hockey market of Atlanta can get a team again then Hartford can.

I've had this debate with MP before, he seems to have something for Hartford. He does not think clearly and is thinking just arenas and wich ciy has the shiny new building. Tell MP, how did that work for Phoenix, Nashville and Atlanta. You can give me all the figures you want but the bottom line is hockey is failing in those markets.

Hartford needs a new arena, I agree but the fact is we had 11,000 season ticket holders in '97 and we had an arena deal...the NHL needs to go where it IS WANTED

LOL ya I have something against Hartford, ya between me and you, I'm the biased one here....

Phx, and ATL are terrible examples bc they've been perennial losers. I have also been an advocate for years of not being in Nashville.

Leave it to MP to rain on Hartford's parade... JK. :lol:

I for one wouldn't mind seeing the whalers back, but in today's day and age, I think they'd have to change their name. Animal rights activists would have a field day. Personally I liked thweir green uniforms, I really liked how-if you looked hard enough-you could see an "H" and a "W" in their logo.

Speaking of logos.. I'm still trying to figure out what the Expos logo was supposed to be.

Is Hartford ready to renovate the XL Center to house more fans than it currently does? Sellouts are a possibility in places like Hartford, Quebec City, Winnipeg, or even Milwaukee.

The Veteran's memorial arena (part of the XL center) is about 35 years old although it might be possible to renovate it. It is more likely that a new arena will be needed.

What is it about cities that start with H?

Lawrence R. Gottesdiener, head of Northland Investment Corp., has tried to purchase the Penguins when they were up for sale and the Predators and move them to Hartford. While Jim Balsillie tried to purchase the Pens, preds, and most recently the Coyotes and move them to Hamilton.

I've supported the idea of Hartford in the past as well as Hamilton.

Gottesdeiner come to find out just wanted property deals and not so much hockey. It was refreshing to see Baldwin come back to town. He started the whalers and has moved his family, offices and invested his money into this without thinking there is a chance. He is after all friends with Bettman, yes the same Bettman that told the Mayor of Hartford that with a feasible arena , Hartford would be considered.

Balwin has planned a series of outdoor games at our 40,000 seat staduim. There will be UCONN games, Whalers and bruins alumni, hig profile high school games and a hollywood celebrity game. Along with this he is re-opening the Whalers hall of fame, opened up a merchandise store and is reuniting the 1986 Hartford Whalers team for a summer charity golf tournament and a summer whalers festival.

I believe all this is being done for two reasons. First, to build up the excitement of hockey again. Our AHL team , The Hartford Wolfpack affiliated with the NY Rangers was never warmly welcomed and is averaging around 4,000 per game. I believe the Wolfpack will be leaving after the upcoming season to Syracuse or Rochester. Baldwin will bring in another AHL team and either name them the Hartford Whalers or a name I believe will be The Connecticut Whalers. He will use the whalers colors and stress how this is HARTFORDS TEAM. His goal is to average 8,000-9,000 a game. The second reason is after building and sustaining this excitement he can now have back up in pushing for a new arena or a total rehab of the XL center. At that point we should and will be in the running for an NHL team.

Rehabing the XL center won't be easy and I think a new arena is in order but if retro fitting the XL center is to happen then it would be a big project. All concourse areas need to widened. Additional concourse areas on another level. Additional restrooms. Luxury suites would need to be lowered. Larger press areas. All new electronics, perimeter electronic letterboards, high def screens,etc. An additional 2,000 seats , bringing the total to 17,600. The XL center now sits in the heart of downtown is in an ideal location and thru a study the only place it was determined that an arena should be.

I know I am partly thinking with my heart but again this is the bottom line. In 1997 there was an arena offered...a great deal for Owner Karmanos ( all concessions, parking, etc for all events) a better deal than he received in Raleigh. Also , he was looking at 11,000 season ticket holders ( that is 11,000 full season holders)....when Karmanos made a demand that he wanted 11,000 season ticket holders or he would leave he eliminated 20 game packages and just offered full season...his demand was met. How this team was still allowed to leave baffles me especially after seeing Bettmans actions in Nashville and Phoenix.

Now , I know there are some who still think that the NHL should venture into the unknown again such as Vegas or Milwaukee but hasn't that been done enough. Haven't we learned anything when we watch the disasters unfold in Phoenix and Nashville and Atlanta and there will be more to come. A brand new arena doesn't guarantee anything. The NHL needs to return to cities that want hockey...even if that market is small or the areana doesn't meet NHL guidelines. Winnipeg, Quebec and Hartford could succeed in todays NHL. Again, like I have said anyone my age can remember after the Rockies left Colorado and the flames left Atlanta you said to yourself those cities will never see hockey again.....I've learned to never say never....look the NHL is now discussing putting hockey back where the scouts once played.

Winnipeg and Quebec are now being considered again as they should but for some reason there is a perception out there that Hartford is not a hockey market. WE did not lose our team because of attendance....this is a hockey town, Hartford deserves to be considered as much as KC or vegas ( big mistakes to move there by the way) and the NHL lost something when they let teams leave cities that supported their teams....we now know not nearly enough was done to help those teams.

As I was researching the Arena, I see Gottesdiener and his company are allied with AEG. Not a fan of AEG. There was some fishy stuff going down with Boots Del Baggio and the Nashville Predators. As well, AEG owns a barn in KC and was interested in building one in Vegas. funny how those are two cities mentioned by Bettman? thanks to the financial crisis, it seems like an arena in Vegas is on hold for now.

As I had many arguments concerning the Coyotes with Moneypuck, I think it is clear of my view of the NHL in areas that have an interest in hockey to begin with -- winnipeg, the golden horseshoe (ontario), Seattle etc..

As far as the whalers, I'm originally from Trail, BC. When I was growing up the best NHL player from there was -- Ray Ferraro (currently a TSN analyst) who played for the Whalers for 7 seasons or so. I think Ray still uses 'Brass Bonanza' as a theme for his Vancouver radio show. I followed Ray's career as much as I could so I would like to see a team back in Hartford.

LOL ya I have something against Hartford, ya between me and you, I'm the biased one here....

Phx, and ATL are terrible examples bc they've been perennial losers. I have also been an advocate for years of not being in Nashville.

I'm really not a fan of your perennial losers argument.

If a market needs a winning team to survive, then it won't survive. You can't have every team be a winning team unless it's bantam soccer for 6 year olds.

I think that the way the North American economy is going, it no longer makes sense to push for a foothold in Southern Markets. The classical rationale was that by expansion in those areas, even if they become the 4th or 5th sport in the American sun belt, they would then become a major national sport, which would allow them to have a national television contract and then to grow even more in the north.

Did that make sense in the 1980s and 1990s? Probably. However, the US media market is fracturing. Every year there are more and more channels and thus it may no longer be that optimal to have a national contract with NBC for example. There are plenty of logical places to expand in the USA: Hartford, Seattle, Salt Lake City... places with cold weather.

Does NA$CAR need to be big in Boston and Chicago to have a national television contract?

I'm really not a fan of your perennial losers argument.

If a market needs a winning team to survive, then it won't survive. You can't have every team be a winning team unless it's bantam soccer for 6 year olds.

Not sure what you mean?......I am not making excuses at all. I am saying that even though the whalers generally sucked year after year , they still averaged about 12,000 a game. This considering there were some seasons when they won only 19 games. This isn't Canada where hockey is a religion. even Boston, ST. Louis and Chicago saw drops in attendance when the team faltered on the ice. Ofcourse, no one expects a team to constantly win mbut perhaps to at least be competitve....again not sure where your going with this.

It is my opinion that the NHL has made enough mistakes.....a new arena guarantees nothing and if a city with a new arena is the number one criteria for landing an NHL team then the NHL will face more embarasssing disasters in the future.......By that, if Santa Fe, New Mexico built a new arena are they now considered for a team , why not ....isn't that really the only reason KC would be considered or Vegas? It's time the NHL returned teams to cities that are actually hockey markets and the desire for hockey is there. Some have mentioned Milwaukee or Salt Lake city, or KC and where is the guaranteed fan base there, is the corporate community foaming at the mouth waiting to support an NHL team at those cities? Before you discard Hartford for those reasons, careful as to what cities you then promote.

I started this thread to get your feedback on what Hartford is doing in the next year to promote hockey and get on the NHL map again...thats all

http://www.whalernation.tv/

• 2 weeks later...

Archived