The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Detroit Red Wings 2010-11

FirstStar

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i think the wings would do well to sign jose thedore because sophomore jinx might happen to howard and osgood is poison, jose did not do bad at all in the reg season he just seems to flop in the playoffs but if hes behind detriot well ya never know i cant stand this team but i cant deny they are still a great team ATM.....

• 2 months later...

• 1 month later...

Sources tell TSN that the Detroit Red Wings are in discussions with veteran goaltender Evgeni Nabokov and it's believed the two sides are close to finalizing a deal.

Yep...

According to a report on TSN, the Detroit Red Wings are close to signing free-agent goaltender Evgeni Nabokov.

Nabokov, who signed with the Kontinental Hockey League this summer after spending 10 seasons with the San Jose Sharks, parted ways with SKA St. Petersburg on Dec. 13, and hasn't played professionally anywhere since that date.

Red Wings goaltender Jimmy Howard has missed the past two games with a knee injury but is expected to start Thursday against the St. Louis Blues. He went 37-15-10 with a 2.26 goals-against average and .922 save percentage as a rookie last season but has not been as sharp in his sophomore season.

Howard is 22-7-3, but his 2.83 GAA and .906 save percentage rank him in the bottom half of the League.

Backup Chris Osgood is out 6-to-8 weeks after having sports hernia surgery Jan. 11. The Red Wings recalled Joey MacDonald from the AHL, but he went 1-1-1 and allowed 8 goals in his past two starts.

The 35-year-old Nabokov was a Vezina Trophy finalist in 2008 and took the Sharks to the Western Conference Finals last season. He has 293 career wins to go along with a 2.39 GAA and .912 save percentage.

Nabokov would need to pass through waivers in order for the Red Wings to put him on the roster.

• 2 months later...

I was just posting in the MN thread about my desire for a Red Wings victory tonight over the Penguins, given that a Detroit victory would bring us closer to home ice advantage in the playoffs.

I realized there was always a soft spot in my heart for the Wings. Really, there's nothing they could never negatively impact on Montreal's chances except for the very few times the Habs play them during the regular season. Other than that, they can only help us by beating Eastern teams. Of course, the playoffs would be a different scenario.

I also found out a few years ago, something that sort of rocked me, that my father had been a Wings fan before he was a Habs fan. I'll never know the full story behind that.

Otherwise, I always saw Detroit as a team that consistently performed well. The organization seems like a well-oiled machine. Sure, they got lucky in some drafts, sure, but I think they're one of the best run franchises in the 'parity-driven' NHL, if you factor performance on the ice into the equation.

The fact that they are an Original 6 team adds to their appeal. Here's how the other 4 stack up, in my eyes:

Chicago - Yeah, they just won a Cup but for how long were they a joke? They had to blow themselves up after the champagne ran out.

NY Rangers - Maybe, once upon a time, but they also had a long run of failure/mediocrity, one that continues. & I can't stand Tortorella; respect him as a coach, sure, but just can't deal with his over-acting.

Boston Bruins - Not an Option.

Toronto Maple Leafs - HA HA HA HA HA! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I figure Detroit would be my favourite in the West, if I had to choose. & my 2nd in preference of the Original 6 teams.

Anyway, just had a thought to share and thought this was the place to drop it.

I was just posting in the MN thread about my desire for a Red Wings victory tonight over the Penguins, given that a Detroit victory would bring us closer to home ice advantage in the playoffs.

I realized there was always a soft spot in my heart for the Wings. Really, there's nothing they could never negatively impact on Montreal's chances except for the very few times the Habs play them during the regular season. Other than that, they can only help us by beating Eastern teams. Of course, the playoffs would be a different scenario.

I also found out a few years ago, something that sort of rocked me, that my father had been a Wings fan before he was a Habs fan. I'll never know the full story behind that.

Otherwise, I always saw Detroit as a team that consistently performed well. The organization seems like a well-oiled machine. Sure, they got lucky in some drafts, sure, but I think they're one of the best run franchises in the 'parity-driven' NHL, if you factor performance on the ice into the equation.

The fact that they are an Original 6 team adds to their appeal. Here's how the other 4 stack up, in my eyes:

Chicago - Yeah, they just won a Cup but for how long were they a joke? They had to blow themselves up after the champagne ran out.

NY Rangers - Maybe, once upon a time, but they also had a long run of failure/mediocrity, one that continues. & I can't stand Tortorella; respect him as a coach, sure, but just can't deal with his over-acting.

I figure Detroit would be my favourite in the West, if I had to choose. & my 2nd in preference of the Original 6 teams.

Two thumbs up! The Wings are my favorite team (the Habs dont count in my ranking, they're the air a breathe everyday, cant rank that :D )

Each time we play the wings each year, it's inevitable that the first thing that always comes to mind is: it's a shame that we play them only once a year. We met Detroit fans in Florida this past holidays and they were thinking the samething.

Each time we play the wings each year, it's inevitable that the first thing that always comes to mind is: it's a shame that we play them only once a year. We met Detroit fans in Florida this past holidays and they were thinking the samething.

NHL scheduling is a disgrace, isn't it?

The Habs have this magical power to snatch people away from other fanbases. I too am a victim(from the Caps) :D

On-topic.

I've always liked the Wings. You can tell by their play that they pay much attention to the details.

Two thumbs up! The Wings are my favorite team (the Habs dont count in my ranking, they're the air a breathe everyday, cant rank that :D )

Personally, I can't stand the Wings. Maybe its because I live in Michigan and 99% of the Wings fans are incredibly arrogant and realistically know next to nothing about the game.

That being said, there is something about the Wings that I miss. The Joe used to be one of the best arenas in the NHL. The arena we saw in December is not the Joe now. That was electrified by Habs fans. The unfortunate reality is that they sell out probably less than teams like Nashville and St. Louis. Hockeytown went down with Detroit.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=359971

Bertuzzi went to he Hawks' dressing room to apologize for the hit he laid on Ryan Johnson. That's a pretty classy move if you ask me, I wish certain players could be man enough to do the same.

Certainly more class than a certain defenseman. <_< Of course, said d-man a canonized saint, according to his fanbase, that is.

• 1 month later...

What a individual performance by Datsyuk last night....in game 5 ......WOW.....keeping the wings in the series....though,I am rooting for the sharks.B)

• 1 month later...

LIDSTROM TO RETURN WITH RED WINGS FOR 20TH SEASON

et_81853.jpg

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=369487

Archived