The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Radical Rule Change Proposals In Ncaa

This is quite a radical idea and the ramifications are going to be interesting, especially the results on the ice.

http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2010/06/12/propose...good-for-sport/

NCAA Rules Committee have proposed a rule to eliminate legal icing while killing a penalty. That means, when shorthanded, you cannot ice the puck and if you do, it comes back to your zone and you cannot change players.

The NCAA coaches are outraged by this, unanimously voting against it and the public perception and outcry has not been much better.

Also being proposed is a five minute major + game for any penalty with head conduct.

On a delayed penalty, if a goal is scored the goal counts plus you get the powerplay.

All of this has to be approved, and I know the coaches are already protesting the PK one, but my god the ramifications if it goes through will be bad.

Guest NvidiaN

Why does it seem like hockey is the only sport which is always under rule change siege? Baseball fights tooth and nail against most changes (see video replay, even in the wake of a perfect game being thrown recently), football waits forever to change (they're "considering" implementing overtime changes this season, after decades of it being the way it is), etc.

I understand rule changes in order to protect players, as one of these appears to be attempting to do...but seriously? That dumb trapezoid, removal of two line passes, goalie pad size changes, delay of game calls, penalty shots, penalty rules, bla bla bla, etc.

Why can't people chill out?

Outside of that, I completely disagree with more changes to the penalty system. Why? A team does not need to be penalized in ten different ways in order to be adequately punished. If I recall, the average PP% is somewhere between 15-20%? So obviously teams are scoring on power plays, which indicates having an extra man is more than enough.

But still, on top of that we add automatic defensive zone face-offs when penalties are taken, and now things like this? How many times do we need to stack penalties on top of penalties? So what now, a crap call against your team, the drop comes back to your zone, you can't change guys, and you can't ice the puck to kill the penalty. On top of all that you're SHORT HANDED ONE PLAYER!

Should just have to pull your goalie for 30 seconds and call it a day <_<

Annoying, stop trying to change things so drastically!

They're looking for trouble on that icing rule change. When they lose a few exausted players to injury,, i'm sure they'll rethink that bonehead move.There is one rule i would like to see comeback to the NHL rulebook though. When a team gets a penalty,,,,they play the whole 2 minutes shorthanded regardless if a team scores or not.

I've never understood the logic behind PK icing rule elimination anyway. Why change the rules of the game to benefit a team that took a penalty? Icing the puck is illegal in any other situation except when you're being penalized for breaking the rules? Never made sense to me.

Why not making flipping the puck out when shorthanded legal too? Also we can eliminate off sides for shorthanded teams. Why not eliminate the too many men on the ice rule for short handed teams? Then they won't even have to be short handed anymore!

Another thing I can't stand is the hand pass rule. Why the hell are you allowed to do it in the defensive zone but no where else on the ice?

I've never understood the logic behind PK icing rule elimination anyway. Why change the rules of the game to benefit a team that took a penalty? Icing the puck is illegal in any other situation except when you're being penalized for breaking the rules? Never made sense to me.

Why not making flipping the puck out when shorthanded legal too? Also we can eliminate off sides for shorthanded teams. Why not eliminate the too many men on the ice rule for short handed teams? Then they won't even have to be short handed anymore!

Another thing I can't stand is the hand pass rule. Why the hell are you allowed to do it in the defensive zone but no where else on the ice?

This

The rules should be the same for 60 minutes and anywhere on the ice.

I understand what you're saying, at least in theory, but in practice I'm not sure it's realistic, primarily because players would become horribly fatigued. At least, if they were to ever remove it at the NHL, you'd have to get rid of the "no line change on an icing" rule (not sure if this exists in the NCAA or not). I guess a counter-argument would be "if you take a penalty, you deserve to have guys stuck on the ice for 2 minutes (or 5 on a major)", but taking this logic a step further, we could just say "screw the penalty, you take one you deserve to have a goal scored against, so just automatically award the goal". Even though teams are being penalized, a goal is not meant to be automatic and they deserve a fair shot to kill it off.

The reason the icing rule is a good rule is that right now teams score on approximately 20% of power plays, which means they score about 2-3x as effectively on power plays as they do at even strength.

If you removing the icing privilege, I suspect the average power play success rate might go to 50%.

I understand what you're saying, at least in theory, but in practice I'm not sure it's realistic, primarily because players would become horribly fatigued. At least, if they were to ever remove it at the NHL, you'd have to get rid of the "no line change on an icing" rule (not sure if this exists in the NCAA or not). I guess a counter-argument would be "if you take a penalty, you deserve to have guys stuck on the ice for 2 minutes (or 5 on a major)", but taking this logic a step further, we could just say "screw the penalty, you take one you deserve to have a goal scored against, so just automatically award the goal". Even though teams are being penalized, a goal is not meant to be automatic and they deserve a fair shot to kill it off.

I wouldn't go that far. The problem in the NCAA is that they don't penalize teams for flipping the puck over the boards so teams may resort to that (it shouldn't be a penalty in the NHL either but IMO have the same result as an icing, defensive zone faceoff, no change).

I think players for the most part will effectively learn how to flip the puck out without it reaching the goal line at the other end, it would involve more skill. Also, I'm not sure how eliminating the icing rule as it is makes goals automatic. I just don't think the league should bend the rules to make the offending team's success rate higher. Icing is against the rules, it should be at all times. Yes, PP percentages will go up, I would guess into the high 30's for some I doubt we'd see any team in the 50's as DA speculates but I don't see that as a bad thing. In fact it maybe more of a deterrent to taking penalties in the first place. I know it's part of the rules and has been our whole lives so we all accept it as part of the game, but it's arbitrary.

Archived