The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

The Best Tv Channel On Which To Watch Hockey Games?

TV channels for hockey games  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What channel is the best?

• CBC
    • RDS
    • TSN
    • NBC
    • Versus
    • NHL Channel

I remember a Hockey News poll saying that 74% of the hockey audience would watch game #6 of the Stanley Cup Final on CBC if given access to both CBC and NBC for that game. But can the Hockey News really be trusted for anything of that kind?

And I had the chance to compare Blackhawks feeds during national anthems in home games (even though they were computer-recorded feeds of both channels) and the crowds don't feel the same. NBC production staff seemed to lower the volume of the crowd when compared to CBC.

Maybe Versus, RDS or TSN (or even NHL Channel) seemed to do better.

I'm not gonna say CBC in the best...but I do prefer watching it as I do look forward during the intermissions for COACHES CORNER & THE HOT STOVE segment.

I wish BOB COLE would be done...I would not mind at all JIM HUGHSON took over for him.......hell,anyone else would be a improvement I guess.

TSN is not too bad either....IMO.

NBC/VERSUS is most difinatly at the bottom of my list....their down right brutal.

Would not mind RDS,hear alot of good things about them.........but I am not french. ;)

I have to take whatever I get, which means from which channel ESPN America and ESPN Player are broadcasting.

But after experiencing matches from different channels, I have to agree with the vast majority that the broadcasts from CBC are by far the best for English spoken coverage.

But honestly, I'd love to watch the games in Canadian French, hey, am I or am I not a fan of the Montréal Canadiens?

Unfortunately I don't have this possibility here in Europe...

I remember a Hockey News poll saying that 74% of the hockey audience would watch game #6 of the Stanley Cup Final on CBC if given access to both CBC and NBC for that game. But can the Hockey News really be trusted for anything of that kind?

Well plenty of people have access to both (in Canada and the USA), so there's really no need to do a poll, just check the numbers .... I don't know what they are, but I imagine in Canada CBC wins, in the USA NBC wins.

Anyways, I like CBC since they put all games online, but for the actual production, TSN is the best mostly because they just have much more meaningful analysis and better personalities during intermissions. CBC relies far too much on nostalgia rather than quality. I mean Cherry is a legend, but is he any good at analyzing the game (he can't even remember players names)? The interviews with old legends are interesting, but after the 2nd period of a playoff game I'd really prefer some analysis of the game than an interview with Ken Dryden. This is in addition to the overproduction (naming every segment, having different backdrops for all of it, etc: what on earth is the point of the "I-Desk" for example?). TSN is simple: between periods go back to Duthie and the panel (which is for the most part better than the CBC personalities) who discuss what we just saw and some fun analysis of current hockey trends on things like "The Quiz" (which really isn't a segment, just the panel doing something different). CBC even managed to ruin one of their few good segments (Hotstove) by putting Milbury on it, who adds nothing and just spouts off on a segment which is meant to be informational.

ESPN America =)

Though, I voted CBC, just because that is what I am used to, though RDS is pretty amazing, the only way I can watch it is via justin.tv etc, which isn't too good to be honest.

Well plenty of people have access to both (in Canada and the USA), so there's really no need to do a poll, just check the numbers .... I don't know what they are, but I imagine in Canada CBC wins, in the USA NBC wins.

Not that many people in the US have access to CBC. I'd be thrilled if I got it, though.

As for the question posed by the thread, it doesn't really matter to me. I don't really have a problem with any of the national telecasters, though I still miss guys like Gary Thorne, Bill Clement, and Darren Pang from the ESPN days. Watching individual home-town TV crews is where it can get pretty bad. Some manage to call a decent game, but others are downright awful. Edwards in Boston is by far the worst I've encountered - he's literally insane.

Not that many people in the US have access to CBC. I'd be thrilled if I got it, though.

As for the question posed by the thread, it doesn't really matter to me. I don't really have a problem with any of the national telecasters, though I still miss guys like Gary Thorne, Bill Clement, and Darren Pang from the ESPN days. Watching individual home-town TV crews is where it can get pretty bad. Some manage to call a decent game, but others are downright awful. Edwards in Boston is by far the worst I've encountered - he's literally insane.

Buffalo's is pretty bad aswell :L

FS Carolina's commentary isn't bad

nothing beats Pierre Houde's ET LE BUT!!! for me ... but during part of the intermissions, sometimes i switch to CBC or TSN depending on which is broadcasting the game. anything is better than crète's smugness and jacques demers choking on his words ( i like the man and his viewpoints but i cringe everytime he opens his mouth on tv). joel bouchard is pretty cool though. also, everything is better than an interview done by luc gélinas

Archived