The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Edmonton Oilers 2010-11

FirstStar

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can't wait for the season to start and to watch the Oilers. I think that they will be the most interresting team to watch this season because so much of what the have planned is all dependent on first year NHL players. It will be cool to see how Taylor Hall and Eberle do in there rookie seasons. But i can't see too much improvment on the horizons for the Oilers. They don't even have a credible starting goalie.

Oilers Sign Gagner To A Two-Yr Deal

The Edmonton Oilers have signed 21-year old forward Sam Gagner to a two-year, $4.55 million contract. The cap hit is $2.275 million per year.

In 68 games played last season, Gagner scored 15 goals and posted 26 assists.

"Sam is a key part of our organization moving forward," General Manager Steve Tambellini said in a statement. "We are looking forward to him taking on a larger role with our club."

The London, Ontario native has played three seasons. In his rookie season, he scored 13 goals with 36 assists. Gagner was also named to the 2008 NHL YoungStars Team.

In his sophomore year, Gagner scored 16 goals and had 25 assists.

Gagner, who was drafted 6th overall by Edmonton in 2007, has collected 131 points (44G, 87A) in 223 career National Hockey League games.

There is still no progress to report in negotiations with the last remaining restricted free agent on the team, Andrew Cogliano. The two sides remain a ways apart with camp fast approaching, though the ball is believed to be in Cogliano's court at this time.

- with files from TSN's Ryan Rishaug

Of course he will get off "easy" though cause of who he is...riiight?

Edmonton Oilers goaltender Nikolai Khabibulin was sentenced to 30 days in prison in a Scottsdale, Arizona courtroom on Tuesday.

The 30-day stay in jail was the minimum sentence Khabibulin could have received under Arizona law. The maximum sentence would have been a six-month jail term.

Khabibulin was found guilty on Friday of three out of four charges against him.

The 37-year-old was pulled over last February while speeding in his black Ferrari in Arizona and was found with a blood alcohol level of at least twice the legal limit in that state. After the blood test, he was cited for an extreme DUI with a blood-alcohol content at .164.

Khabibulin has appealed the decision, which starts a process that could take several months to complete.

"I understand that (Khabibulin) has appealed the conviction and the resulting sentencing has been stayed pending appeal," said NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly. "I don't expect having any reaction or response until the conclusion of the appeal process."

The Oilers believe Khabibulin will enter a substance abuse program with the NHL. The goalie is expected to be in camp, and the team believes he may travel.

Khabibulin missed most of last season with a back injury. He is entering the second season of a four-year, $15 million contract with the team.

• 3 weeks later...
I think the Oil have a very bright future, especially after picking up Hall.

Their goaltending still looks to be an issue though, they don't really have a solid #1.

Good game last night.

Anyone else hear talk that Souray is in consideration for their next Captain?

what? :unsure: He is on his way out. The team doesn't even want him around. Rumor has him going to Columbus.

Magnus Paajarvi is a beast. What a game tonight!

Scored a hat trick last night!

what? :unsure: He is on his way out. The team doesn't even want him around. Rumor has him going to Columbus.

Yeah I bet the Edmonton GM is praying someone's D gets hurt so he can unload Souray but his cap hit is really high over 2 years. Maybe Gainey was right to unload him when he did.

Scored a hat trick last night!

Yeah I bet the Edmonton GM is praying someone's D gets hurt so he can unload Souray but his cap hit is really high over 2 years. Maybe Gainey was right to unload him when he did.

I probably woke up my neighbors with my cheering while watching that game.

It's actually funny to look back at Souray's comments this past year. He's been so arrogant and stupid to think teams would be fighting over him. Between the diva attitude, the injuries and the price tag, it'll be a damn good day if Tambi can get a decent trade for him.

I haven't really been following Souray over the summer.

Was he digging the team?

yep. I am a fan (really awesome guy) but he has said some very "bizarre" things that have made him out to look like he is a ME ME ME type of player. Sad that it has turned out this way. The Oilers/fans were so happy when he signed there. (home boy).

yep. I am a fan (really awesome guy) but he has said some very "bizarre" things that have made him out to look like he is a ME ME ME type of player. Sad that it has turned out this way. The Oilers/fans were so happy when he signed there. (home boy).

Yeah, we loved him pretty much all the way to the point where he made those comment last season. Even with the injury problems, he was still loved. He said it wasn't a problem with the city or fans but what he too dope-headed to realize it that it's still a slap in the face to the home crowd.

The payback was when he tried to come crawling back after he realized the future we can have with the kids (and, of course, that no one else in the league wanted him) and he gets turned away by our GM. Snap. :D

Damn teams going to be a continuous contender in 3 seasons and a damn dynasty in 6 and we all just sat back and watched it happen <_<

Oh man, I hope so.

Yeah, we loved him pretty much all the way to the point where he made those comment last season. Even with the injury problems, he was still loved. He said it wasn't a problem with the city or fans but what he too dope-headed to realize it that it's still a slap in the face to the home crowd.

The payback was when he tried to come crawling back after he realized the future we can have with the kids (and, of course, that no one else in the league wanted him) and he gets turned away by our GM. Snap. :D

Oh man, I hope so.

I hope so too. It would be nice to see.

Archived