The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Larry Robinson

Kubby31

Habs silence spurred Robinson to Devilsposted by Dave Stubbs at 22h21 EST on Jun 17</h4> larry%20robinson.jpgLarry Robinson will return behind the Devils bench.

Bruce Bennett, Getty Images

The Canadiens' silence was deafening, so Hall of Fame defenceman Larry Robinson today signed a two-year (plus an option) deal as an assistant coach with the New Jersey Devils.

Donnie Cape, Robinson's long-time Montreal-based agent, spoke with then-Habs general manager Bob Gainey last September and was told the coaching staff for the 2009-10 season was complete.

Another conversation between Cape and Canadiens president Pierre Boivin in early December, before the Dec. 4 Centennial Game, took place and Cape was told to call back in March, as the season wore down. In March, Cape was asked to call back following the playoffs.

It seemed a role as at least a team ambassador was in the offing for Big Bird, who hoped to finish his hockey career with the Canadiens, but a couple of calls to Boivin and his office this week were not returned.

Today, Robinson signed as an assistant to new Devils coach John MacLean. Not since Rick Green have the Canadiens had a coach dedicated to the defence. Robinson seemed to be a good choice to work with the likes of P.K. Subban, Ryan O'Byrne and others on the blue line. But now he'll be behind the bench of the Devils.

"Larry's going to come on with his experience, both being a coach, a defenceman," MacLean said. "His knowledge of the game, I think it'll be a great asset for me and the players."

Mario Tremblay, an assistant coach under former Devils head coach Jacques Lemaire, will be reassigned in the New Jersey system.

Habs silence spurred Robinson to Devilsposted by Dave Stubbs at 22h21 EST on Jun 17</h4> larry%20robinson.jpgLarry Robinson will return behind the Devils bench.

The Canadiens' silence was deafening, so Hall of Fame defenceman Larry Robinson today signed a two-year (plus an option) deal as an assistant coach with the New Jersey Devils.

Donnie Cape, Robinson's long-time Montreal-based agent, spoke with then-Habs general manager Bob Gainey last September and was told the coaching staff for the 2009-10 season was complete.

Another conversation between Cape and Canadiens president Pierre Boivin in early December, before the Dec. 4 Centennial Game, took place and Cape was told to call back in March, as the season wore down. In March, Cape was asked to call back following the playoffs.

It seemed a role as at least a team ambassador was in the offing for Big Bird, who hoped to finish his hockey career with the Canadiens, but a couple of calls to Boivin and his office this week were not returned.

Today, Robinson signed as an assistant to new Devils coach John MacLean. Not since Rick Green have the Canadiens had a coach dedicated to the defence. Robinson seemed to be a good choice to work with the likes of P.K. Subban, Ryan O'Byrne and others on the blue line. But now he'll be behind the bench of the Devils.

"Larry's going to come on with his experience, both being a coach, a defenceman," MacLean said. "His knowledge of the game, I think it'll be a great asset for me and the players."

Mario Tremblay, an assistant coach under former Devils head coach Jacques Lemaire, will be reassigned in the New Jersey system.

I know of a place I'd like to send him.

Good luck Larry, all the best.

Really loving the management.. :rolleyes:

Wow, the Habs' management team can do no wrong this week... :unsure:

seems to be a common theme with the Habs

I call the souvenir Boutique ...no one answers

I call the Game Worn jersey co ordinator...no one answers, no one retruns my calls

PG never calls Halaks agent

Don't these guys belive in customer service

seems to be a common theme with the Habs

I call the souvenir Boutique ...no one answers

I call the Game Worn jersey co ordinator...no one answers, no one retruns my calls

PG never calls Halaks agent

Don't these guys belive in customer service

Maybe they stopped taking your calls because they've explained you 100 times that they do NOT have any game worn Mats Sundin jerseys. :P

Maybe they stopped taking your calls because they've explained you 100 times that they do NOT have any game worn Mats Sundin jerseys. :P

HA HA HA

And I thought you were funny as a Mod :rolleyes:

Maybe this organization makes sooooooooooo much money that selling $ 20 Media Guide means nothing to them .

What happened to this being the most classy organization in the league? I guess that's just all for anniversary and jersey retirement ceremonies....*****. How can the president of this team be so disrespectful to one of its best players of all time (one of the team's best defenceman ever).

Management is batting 1.000 this week; letting Boucher walk, giving Halak away for a handful of magic beans and now this. Not grabbing Robinson when there is an opening in the coaching staff is a huge mistake. Even when opportunity knocks on their door (multiple times) they just slam the door. What's next, letting Pleks walk for nothing?

I still have that gnawing feeling that PG is on a short leash by the Molsons. I just don't see him surviving if there are many more bad moves. Time will tell about the Halak trade, but I still think it's a bit silly to move the goalie who got you into the Eastern Conference Finals for the first time in many a moon for two prospects. Those two could be at least a couple of years away from making it in the NHL.

Archived