The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

Habs Sign Tomas Plekanec

roy_133

and if Pleks can score in the playoffs, and if gomez can score in the playoffs, and if, and if, and if...... Wanna see how to run an organization... See Boston, Philly, San Jose, New Jersey, Detroit, etc.... Smart management, scouting, coaching and most of all Cap Management wins. Alas, we have a long way to go.

I hate to say it, but the Leafs will finish ahead of us next year.

im pretty sure i heard the same thing about the leafs when we signed gomez et. al last summer...some people will never be happy...even when the right moves are made...not just you...but others here...and in regards to san jose, boston, philly...none of those teams have won cups so it doesnt really bother me...

regarding detroit...they sucked for years before they started to make their runs and win their cups...and because of all those wins they're about to go through a rough period again...they had to make a miraculous run at the end of the season to make/stay in the playoffs and ran out of gas in the playoffs...almost in the 1st round...

and in regards to new jersey...they may have drafted well...zajac, ellis, parise etc...they gave up a good prospect in bergfors for a gamble in kovulchuk that didnt work...and they have bigger issues, they have no one to take over brodeur's job...at all...so look for them to go through a little rough patch soon unless they sign someone like chris mason for 4-5 million long term and let marty groom him...is it really smart management when your goalie is 38 and you dont have anyone capable to take over for him...

honestly, we're not that bad...people just love to over react...we have no idea how this team will perform until the season starts...and we have no idea how this team will perform if it makes the playoffs...this much we should know by now

Without going through all the comments, I'll chime in and say I'm very glad to see him stay a Hab, but $5 mil per season is a little high IMO. Maintaining his level of play from this year would be a great start, but he really needs to improve his play in the playoffs for me to be truly happy with this deal.

Without going through all the comments, I'll chime in and say I'm very glad to see him stay a Hab, but $5 mil per season is a little high IMO. Maintaining his level of play from this year would be a great start, but he really needs to improve his play in the playoffs for me to be truly happy with this deal.

exactly, thats where he has to prove himself now

The reason I didn't include teams like Pitts, Wash, and even Chicago is that these are organizations who tank for 3 years in a row to get top talent. WHile I don't disagree with this strategy it is practically impossible for the Habs and (even the Leafs) to do this seeing as the fan base would never allow us to spend at the cap minimum = which afterall is the only way to tank.

Others have said to cheer up and think positively. But I have never and will never be a blind fan, something that makes my stomach churn. While I think the Halak trade was absolute brilliance, I am fairly disappointed to keep Pleks at $5MM/yr. Neverthless I think PG has done a stand up job so far - but my issues stem from last seasons HUGE mismanagement by BG to let the team implode, only to sign UFA's <5.9", all of which we are stuck with for the next 5 years. We are a soft team that is going nowhere unless PG can trade some of the BG signings.

Our playoff run was complete dumbfounded luck, worthy of nothing less than a tip of the hat - and contributory to nothing more than blind faith. We lost our way into the playoffs only to be brutally outplayed by Washington - we got brutally outplayed by Pittsburgh - we got embarrased by Philadelphia. Minus Halak and Camms = this team was outclassed in every way shape and form.

Next year, what exactly do we have to look froward to? nothing - and sadly, probably for the next 5 years; more of nothing.

All I ask for is a building plan. Boston goes up and down, but.... when they are up they are good. Philly is a prime example of always putting together a good team. Sadly, as much as the Atlanta's and the Florida's are perennial losers - The Habs are and always will be Perennial 7-10th place team. And IMO, that is the suckiest position of all.

All I can say is wow!...gotta be tough being you

Through the first two rounds of the playoffs, Plekanec had 11 points in 14 games. That's good production considering he was frequently going head to head against Ovechkin and Crosby.

People are acting like he did nothing in the playoffs offensively and that is simply not true. He did a lot of little things right in difficult situations, and those little things frequently led to assists on important goals through the first two series. Never mind that he scored the game-winner in OT against Washington in game one. Never mind that his goal likely would have been the game-winner in game two if Halak hadn't had a subpar game. Never mind that it was his tireless neutral-zone work that forced at least one turnover that led to us scoring an important insurance goal to seal a win against Pittsburgh.

Nah, forget all that. Let's use the five-game sample in the Philly series but mysteriously, let's NOT use that same sample to assess players like Halak who were by no means stellar in that series either. No, it's only Plekanec who gets shafted here. As if he's to blame for his right-winger spending the entire damn season in a complete fog. Or the fact that our power play went into the toilet, yet Martin insisted on playing MAB even when he had stopped helping us with the man advantage.

Yes, Pleks wasn't great against Philly, but who was? Cammalleri was equally ineffective outside of game three. Gomez waited until game five to show up. Gionta was hit and miss. AK gave new meaning to the term 'goalscoring drought'. Pouliot was progressively less effective as the playoffs wore on. If AK had been able to score at even a moderate clip, I'm pretty sure Plekanec's stats would have looked a lot better. As it is, he just run out of gas, and given that he'd played over 100 meaningful hockey games since the start of the season by the time we rolled into the ECF, he is one of the few players on the team who can legitimately claim fatigue as an excuse for underperforming.

Through the first two rounds of the playoffs, Plekanec had 11 points in 14 games. That's good production considering he was frequently going head to head against Ovechkin and Crosby.

People are acting like he did nothing in the playoffs offensively and that is simply not true. He did a lot of little things right in difficult situations, and those little things frequently led to assists on important goals through the first two series. Never mind that he scored the game-winner in OT against Washington in game one. Never mind that his goal likely would have been the game-winner in game two if Halak hadn't had a subpar game. Never mind that it was his tireless neutral-zone work that forced at least one turnover that led to us scoring an important insurance goal to seal a win against Pittsburgh.

Nah, forget all that. Let's use the five-game sample in the Philly series but mysteriously, let's NOT use that same sample to assess players like Halak who were by no means stellar in that series either. No, it's only Plekanec who gets shafted here. As if he's to blame for his right-winger spending the entire damn season in a complete fog. Or the fact that our power play went into the toilet, yet Martin insisted on playing MAB even when he had stopped helping us with the man advantage.

Yes, Pleks wasn't great against Philly, but who was? Cammalleri was equally ineffective outside of game three. Gomez waited until game five to show up. Gionta was hit and miss. AK gave new meaning to the term 'goalscoring drought'. Pouliot was progressively less effective as the playoffs wore on. If AK had been able to score at even a moderate clip, I'm pretty sure Plekanec's stats would have looked a lot better. As it is, he just run out of gas, and given that he'd played over 100 meaningful hockey games since the start of the season by the time we rolled into the ECF, he is one of the few players on the team who can legitimately claim fatigue as an excuse for underperforming.

AK was line as a RW, the way I see it, he probably didn't get use to being on the right side of the ice. He's a natural LW. We need a true RW for pleky to be as effective next season.

Nah, forget all that. Let's use the five-game sample in the Philly series but mysteriously, let's NOT use that same sample to assess players like Halak who were by no means stellar in that series either.

AK gave new meaning to the term 'goalscoring drought'.

agree with the first one completely...i love how halak gets a pass, but guys who ALSO brought us to the ECF like pleks get bagged on...yeah halak played great in the first 2 rounds in net...but cammy didnt score 13 goals by himself and pleks scored that all important OT winner against the caps...if that doesn't happen...it changes the whole series...whether some want to believe it or not...

and to that second point about AK...LMAO...thats not even a drought...if goal scoring was rain...AK would be living in a freaking dust-bowl...lol...its like he couldnt seperate himself from his brother...he was great in game 2 until his brother got taken out...and he went downhill from there...but thats nothinggggg compared to his regular season play...lol that was just sad...that wasnt a drought...that was desertification...

You're also forgetting that even though Tomas hasnt whined about it since, its pretty clear he was suffering with a fairly painful hip injury. I know a lot of guys were banged up out there but to be that effective against those 2 teams for 2 rounds while injured...well, its not really a surprised that he finally had nothing left in the tank come round 3.

You're also forgetting that even though Tomas hasnt whined about it since, its pretty clear he was suffering with a fairly painful hip injury. I know a lot of guys were banged up out there but to be that effective against those 2 teams for 2 rounds while injured...well, its not really a surprised that he finally had nothing left in the tank come round 3.

Yup. Given the injury, fatigue, the quality of opponents, and the lack of a proper right-winger, Pleks did pretty well IMO.

played through it from before the regular season ended too...didnt take a game off...thats what you like to see in a guy you sign long term

Yup. Given the injury, fatigue, the quality of opponents, and the lack of a proper right-winger, Pleks did pretty well IMO.

That's what I've been saying all season long, maybe not in here but I was saying it all season long. Maybe Ryan White would help abit? He's bigger and put up 2 points when he played 16 games with our habs. And that was on what? 3rd or 4th line?

That's what I've been saying all season long, maybe not in here but I was saying it all season long. Maybe Ryan White would help abit? He's bigger and put up 2 points when he played 16 games with our habs. And that was on what? 3rd or 4th line?

I think we've got options in our system already better than white (although i do hope he gets 4th line duties this year). Cammy has said he's equally comfortable on L and R (and actually seems to score more on the RW side anyway) so if he's ready, Id definitely give Eller a shot on that LW (eller is expected to be a C in his prime, but has played a fair amount of LW from what ive seen).

I think we've got options in our system already better than white (although i do hope he gets 4th line duties this year). Cammy has said he's equally comfortable on L and R (and actually seems to score more on the RW side anyway) so if he's ready, Id definitely give Eller a shot on that LW (eller is expected to be a C in his prime, but has played a fair amount of LW from what ive seen).

The only problem I have with this is when guys convert from center to wing early on, they rarely convert back. If we want Eller to be a center in the future, we need to play him there now. I'm hoping some of our bigger wingers like Pouilliott and Pacioretty can take steps forward, as we could really use players like them.

The only problem I have with this is when guys convert from center to wing early on, they rarely convert back. If we want Eller to be a center in the future, we need to play him there now. I'm hoping some of our bigger wingers like Pouilliott and Pacioretty can take steps forward, as we could really use players like them.

This is actually an extremely good point, Graeme.

Ive seen the opposite true (wingers moved to centre & then moved back to the wing) but usually centres who are converted to wingers dont go back.

Patches is a real variable Id like to see blossom next year, so you might be right - he might be the key.

On the flip side, as much as we'd like Eller to turn into a dominant centre, his game is almost more well-suited to wing...

ah, decisions, decisions ;)

Overpaid and does not address a primary necessity on defense and physicality so we are capable of contending with muscle teams. No I do not mean a fighter, I mean a Ryan Clowe. I have no qualms with Plek himself however this is a beastly contract in the worst end of the spectrum. With a NTC, he can have a phone it in season and we are locked in similarity to good ol' Gomez. Simply poor cap management in my opinion. What happens if Eller does indeed live up to his potential? Is he third line bound or are we about to pull a New York, tossing one of our overpaid centers on the third line (Drury)?

First he trades Halak for next to nothing then he overpays Plekanec.I already want Gauthier fired,him and everyone and start on a clean slate with someone who isn't afraid to add bigger more physical goal scorers upfront.So far I hate the offseason.I hope Gauthier has something else planed to improve our defense and to improve our size upfront and 1 more top 6 forward.Otherwise we might not even make the playoffs next season.

Overpaid and does not address a primary necessity on defense and physicality so we are capable of contending with muscle teams. No I do not mean a fighter, I mean a Ryan Clowe. I have no qualms with Plek himself however this is a beastly contract in the worst end of the spectrum. With a NTC, he can have a phone it in season and we are locked in similarity to good ol' Gomez. Simply poor cap management in my opinion. What happens if Eller does indeed live up to his potential? Is he third line bound or are we about to pull a New York, tossing one of our overpaid centers on the third line (Drury)?

So far we won't be contending with those bigger teams.Infact so far we look worse IMO because we traded our only weapon against those teams.A guy who can stop pucks.I know the off season has just begun but I get more angry with every move Gauthier makes.

Archived