The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs Sign Tomas Plekanec

roy_133

I think we've got options in our system already better than white (although i do hope he gets 4th line duties this year). Cammy has said he's equally comfortable on L and R (and actually seems to score more on the RW side anyway) so if he's ready, Id definitely give Eller a shot on that LW (eller is expected to be a C in his prime, but has played a fair amount of LW from what ive seen).

The reason we got Eller from everything i have read was to get size down the middle, I really don't know alot about the kid but from alll accounts he plays a similiar game to pleks. If he is ready I would like to see him start at the third line center position he could get good minutes for a young kid and not alot of pressure with Gomez and Pleks tied up in long term contracts. Just look at the roles of Bolland in Chicago and Moore in Montreal , stall in pittsburg, giroux in phildelphia,

Winger are usually more easily available aqnd more interchangeable, its much harder to find that center, as we have found out over the last number of year. Pacs may be ready next season for a role on the second or third line, Brock trotter has developed well, white can play a third or fourth line role.

I would actually like our centers next year to be, Gomez, Pleks, Eller and Maxwell....and then let the rest fight for positions, there could be 2 or 3 open spots on the last two lines

Through the first two rounds of the playoffs, Plekanec had 11 points in 14 games. That's good production considering he was frequently going head to head against Ovechkin and Crosby.

People are acting like he did nothing in the playoffs offensively and that is simply not true. He did a lot of little things right in difficult situations, and those little things frequently led to assists on important goals through the first two series. Never mind that he scored the game-winner in OT against Washington in game one. Never mind that his goal likely would have been the game-winner in game two if Halak hadn't had a subpar game. Never mind that it was his tireless neutral-zone work that forced at least one turnover that led to us scoring an important insurance goal to seal a win against Pittsburgh.

The first 2 rounds were against teams with suspect defense. Against tougher defensive teams Pleks tends to fade away IMO. In playoffs prior to this year he slammed himself as playing like a little girl out there, so I think even he realizes it. Does Pleks contribute to the team when he's not producing offensively? He sure does, and that's my favorite thing about him. Did he have a decent playoffs this year? Overall yes, but I wouldn't label him as a playoff performer quite yet. Will I be surprised if he disappears next year in the playoffs if he runs into some big defensive teams? No, and that's the biggest nagging problem for me. Until he can find a way to step it up offensively and create plays when teams start clamping down and putting the body to him, I am going to be a little skeptical of his price tag. He's a great 2-way player and a good asset for the team, but if the Habs are going to take the next step they need players who can really take it to the next level in the playoffs. I'm not convinced Pleks is there right now, but I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong.

Team 990 on twitter:

In honor of the Plekanec signing we opened the show this morning with Hall and Oates' Rich Girl :)

:rolleyes::lol:

must be nice to be part of the media eh...whatever the team does, just act like you would have done the opposite...imagine the song they would have played if pg let pleks walk lol

What!! A no-trade clause!!! CRAP!!! You cannot be a contender by blowing your load on 6 players in a 20 man roster! What the heck are we going to do in a year or two when other players develop and earn their dues! The no-trade clause here is the killer. I would have sooner let Pleks walk and traded for a 5 mill/year large physical producing center with a year or two left in a contract. We desperately need size, and all this contract does is limit any chance of spending money to get some.

DOH!

What!! A no-trade clause!!! CRAP!!! You cannot be a contender by blowing your load on 6 players in a 20 man roster! What the heck are we going to do in a year or two when other players develop and earn their dues! The no-trade clause here is the killer. I would have sooner let Pleks walk and traded for a 5 mill/year large physical producing center with a year or two left in a contract. We desperately need size, and all this contract does is limit any chance of spending money to get some.

DOH!

FTR, Hamrlik's contract is up after this season. That should give us a little bit of cap flexibility.

I don't mind the no-trade clause 'cause I want Plekanec to stay here for six years anyway. Whether or not he has a no-trade doesn't matter to me. $5 million per over six years is great value on a 70 point scorer who led the team last year. It's players like Gomez who I would love to ship out of here, and luckily he DOESN'T have a no-trade clause. Or well, he has a very limited no trade, but it wouldn't hinder us from dealing him. The Plekanec deal is great for Montreal. I believe Tomas will take over the number 1 centre position to a larger degree this season and then the $5 million per will look like a steal.

I dont know why so many people are harping about NTC.

Its not like a NTC means you cant trade a player - it simply means he wants involvement in where he's going. Can it limit you? Yes, but players with NTC are traded all the time.

Anyway, hopefully we wont care and we will be happy to have Tomas in our lineup for years to come. In a perfect world, if Eller develops like projected, Gomez will be the one moved in the next year or 2 anyway, leaving Tomas & Eller as our 1 & 2.

I dont know why so many people are harping about NTC.

Its not like a NTC means you cant trade a player - it simply means he wants involvement in where he's going. Can it limit you? Yes, but players with NTC are traded all the time.

+1, if you don't want the player in town, the GM will be able to get rid of him.

Sounds to me like a good deal for both sides.. pleks takes a slight discount at what he could have fetched on the open market, so habs don't mind giving him the NTC to help compensate. Glad to see management holding on to such a useful players, because pleks does it all. Puts up points, 5 on 5, PP, PK, he plays a lot of tough minutes for this team, at both ends of the ice.

As for people worried about salary cap, yeah, Hamrlik and AK come off the books next yr which frees up 8.75 M.

Can we move Gomez this summer, please? :mellow:

Hehe. well, I actually think we could - but I dont know if it would be the most prudent thing to do.

For now, Eller is untapped. Some say he's ready for primetime, others think he needs another year of bouncing between the bigs & minors - but few seem to think he will burst on the scene out of training camp & become a #1 centre.

Until he's ready, there's no harm in having a Gomez-Plekanec-Eller top 3. It probably spells the end of the Dominic Moore experiment, but so be it.

This is somewhat similar to the mid 90s when we had Turgeon-Damphousse as our top 2 centres. Koivu broke into the league & played 3rd line. After 1 year, they moved Turgeon because Koivu was clearly ready for prime time. In that case it was bad because the deal for Turgeon was horrendous, but the thinking behind it wasnt bad (moving a centre to get strong elsewhere) and that was back before cap concerns even.

And of course as has been discussed to death here, Gomez should become much more moveable in the next year or 2, as his contract $$ goes down & a bottom feeder team will only pay him the lower "actual" salary but maintain his cap hit to help them reach the league minimum.

Of course maybe Gomez will pull a Brad Richards & turn it around and score 80 + pts in a season...then what?? haha. :)

disappointed in this signing; I know, I'm in the minority everybody seems to love this guy. He has a lot of skill no doubt, but again I think the Philly series truly showed we need more size, just as the Boston sweep showed last season. It's not only size we need but some net presence, and grit too; this team still lacks both. Pleks was almost invisible this past spring, which in my opinion makes this signing that much more painful, well that, and the no trade clause.

Just hoping we get at least one gritty player this summer, a player like Hartnell would go a long way in helping bring this franchise closer to the big prize..imho

Hehe. well, I actually think we could - but I dont know if it would be the most prudent thing to do.

For now, Eller is untapped. Some say he's ready for primetime, others think he needs another year of bouncing between the bigs & minors - but few seem to think he will burst on the scene out of training camp & become a #1 centre.

Until he's ready, there's no harm in having a Gomez-Plekanec-Eller top 3. It probably spells the end of the Dominic Moore experiment, but so be it.

This is somewhat similar to the mid 90s when we had Turgeon-Damphousse as our top 2 centres. Koivu broke into the league & played 3rd line. After 1 year, they moved Turgeon because Koivu was clearly ready for prime time. In that case it was bad because the deal for Turgeon was horrendous, but the thinking behind it wasnt bad (moving a centre to get strong elsewhere) and that was back before cap concerns even.

And of course as has been discussed to death here, Gomez should become much more moveable in the next year or 2, as his contract $$ goes down & a bottom feeder team will only pay him the lower "actual" salary but maintain his cap hit to help them reach the league minimum.

Of course maybe Gomez will pull a Brad Richards & turn it around and score 80 + pts in a season...then what?? haha. :)

Hey, it might not be prudent, but it would be an excellent long-term decision, IMO. Moving Gomez as soon as possible could open up a world of opportunity for the team next summer. I would not be afraid of trying to offer someone, like Cullen, a one year deal worth $4 million and resigning Moore on a one year deal for $1.5 million. We cover two roster spots for less money than Gomez would be getting and give ourselves more cap room to reorganize in the summer of 2011. Reorganization, IMO, is something we need to do big time.

disappointed in this signing; I know, I'm in the minority everybody seems to love this guy. He has a lot of skill no doubt, but again I think the Philly series truly showed we need more size, just as the Boston sweep showed last season. It's not only size we need but some net presence, and grit too; this team still lacks both. Pleks was almost invisible this past spring, which in my opinion makes this signing that much more painful, well that, and the no trade clause.

Just hoping we get at least one gritty player this summer, a player like Hartnell would go a long way in helping bring this franchise closer to the big prize..imho

I dont disagree with your overall assessment, although I dont believe that Tomas' contract is an issue. I mean if you say the word "Gritty" then philadelphia immediately comes to mind. There's several players on that team that are the polar opposite of gritty though (Briere, Giroux - even guys like Carter, Coburn and Carle arent what you'd call "broadstreet bullies")

One or 2 key addiitons would help - preferably someone to our top 6 - with overall "toughness" to the team. BGL was supposed to do that, but what the head brass didnt consider is that your bottom 6 doesnt do much to make your top 6 more effective. Imagine if you could bring back a guy like Probert in his prime, and get Pouliot going to the net once again:

Probert-Plekanec-Cammy

Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta

Thats a top 6 with skill, size and mustard. We just have to find that elusive probert type guy - if he wasnt so damned expensive, id love to try Sheldon Souray as a RW on the plekanec line ;)

Hey, it might not be prudent, but it would be an excellent long-term decision, IMO. Moving Gomez as soon as possible could open up a world of opportunity for the team next summer. I would not be afraid of trying to offer someone, like Cullen, a one year deal worth $4 million and resigning Moore on a one year deal for $1.5 million. We cover two roster spots for less money than Gomez would be getting and give ourselves more cap room to reorganize in the summer of 2011. Reorganization, IMO, is something we need to do big time.

Well, except for the fact that if you move gomez, you're almost certainly taking back at least $5-6m in salary. You might do that in 2 players, or you might do it in 1 who is signed shorter term, but the fact remains, you'd probably end up weaker at centre this year & without the funds to get a guy like Cullen, Jokinen etc.

I still think keeping him at least 1 more year makes more sense, but we'll see what PG decides. He's made some smart moves so far.

Archived