The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rollie The Goalie Joins Vancouver Canucks

Kubby31

Because he was not very good with our goalies.

This is unfair, imho.

During his tenure with us we had exceptional seasons and or stretches from:

Theodore

Huet

Garon

Halak

Price

Heck, he even made Hackett look good for a while & got the most out of Thibealt for a season.

There's no doubt he wasnt a good fit for Price, but to say something as flippant as he was "not very good" is an insult to a guy who did do a heck of a lot with pretty much every goaltender we had in the organization.

This is unfair, imho.

During his tenure with us we had exceptional seasons and or stretches from:

Theodore

Huet

Garon

Halak

Price

Heck, he even made Hackett look good for a while & got the most out of Thibealt for a season.

There's no doubt he wasnt a good fit for Price, but to say something as flippant as he was "not very good" is an insult to a guy who did do a heck of a lot with pretty much every goaltender we had in the organization.

Sorta is unfair but all of those goalies you named played inconsistently during their habs careers. Pierre Groulx imo so far has done a better job.

Sorta is unfair but all of those goalies you named played inconsistently during their habs careers. Pierre Groulx imo so far has done a better job.

We had this debate a while back and I stand by my position: name me one other organization that has had that many goalies do that well over that long of a span.

Its chicken and egg, of course, because some will argue all the goalies were great (seems doubtful) and Rollie couldnt get them to play consistently - whereas I would argue that Rollie helped most of them elevate their game to a point where they were playing beyond their abilities in some cases.

Anyway, like i said, its of no matter, he was the wrong fit for Price (and I do think his time here was done regardless of who we had in nets), he's gone and I will agree with you that Groulx has done an excellent job so far. I just dont want Rollie to be remembered as some sort of failure here - he had some spectacular seasons out of a LOT of goalies in his time here and while the goalies themselves deserve heaps of credit, at least some of that has to be attributed to the coaching.

Because he was not very good with our goalies.

Lol! Yeah, its' shows with how bad Halak is. :rolleyes:

and how have those goalies been since they were with Melanson?

Yeah..

Lol! Yeah, its' shows with how bad Halak is. :rolleyes:

and how have those goalies been since they were with Melanson?

Yeah..

Halak actually had his best year after Rollie left. With that said the impact a goaltending coach has is basically impossible to quantify. Young goalies are hot and cold, the fact that Price had an excellent rookie year may have had nothing to do with Rollie just as his mediocre sophomore season may have had nothign to do with Rollie.

Halak actually had his best year after Rollie left. With that said the impact a goaltending coach has is basically impossible to quantify. Young goalies are hot and cold, the fact that Price had an excellent rookie year may have had nothing to do with Rollie just as his mediocre sophomore season may have had nothign to do with Rollie.

Exactly. Even look at Toronto with Allair; he didn't exactly make their goaltending stellar. The role of a goalie coach is much better judged by someone on the inside then by one of us just watching the goalies performance.

Archived