The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Versteeg To Toronto

from tsn

TORONTO -- The Chicago Blackhawks are sending forward Kris Versteeg to Toronto in a five-player deal.

He had 44 points in 79 regular-season games last season.

Versteeg added 14 points in the post-season for the Stanley Cup champions.

The Maple Leafs give up forwards Viktor Stalberg, Chris DiDomenico and Philippe Paradis in the deal.

Toronto also gets the rights to left-winger Bill Sweatt.

another steal by Burke imo... I can't believe Gauthier couldn't match that stupid deal

Actually, though, this is one of the first deals that Burke has made for the Leafs that I actually approve of. I don't know enough about the prospects involved to have a really educated opinion (I'll wait on our prospect gurus to weigh in tomorrow :P) but I'd certainly take Versteeg on my team.

Actually, though, this is one of the first deals that Burke has made for the Leafs that I actually approve of. I don't know enough about the prospects involved to have a really educated opinion (I'll wait on our prospect gurus to weigh in tomorrow :P) but I'd certainly take Versteeg on my team.

Yeah ,,,so would i. It seems Leaf fans are split on this deal. Some are ready to hang BB and others are bowing before him in awe. Does that make this deal a draw?? :ph34r:

Yeah ,,,so would i. It seems Leaf fans are split on this deal. Some are ready to hang BB and others are bowing before him in awe. Does that make this deal a draw?? :ph34r:

Yah, I've seen that too. Some see it as giving up too much for the supposed stage the team is in because they could see future players in Didomenic and Paradis. While others are saying bon voyage! to Stalberg and them.

I'd say Leafs got the slightly better end because Versteeg could be considered a better player than Stalberg but I'm not sure what exactly they are giving up in the two other players. So edge to the Leafs but not by a huge margin. I mean, if some of us would consider him on our own team, then it'd be pretty good.

And lol at the comment about the drop from penthouse to outhouse. He literally went from top to bottom. oh, and side to side.

another steal by Burke imo... I can't believe Gauthier couldn't match that stupid deal

Why would we give up three prospects for Versteeg? He's an okay player but definitely not what our team needs.

Can't say I've watched him play much, but he's a small roughly 50 point player (so far, not sure if he's peaked or not). Not a bad addition by any means, but I've got to question Toronto's wisdom on trading away prospects (to be fair, I don't know if Paradis's stock has fallen; and Versteeg is only 24)

This one could definitely go either way.

Toronto trades away prospects for a more established player, but I think the ceiling on at least one of those prospects may be higher. Doesnt necessarily mean he'll pan out though.

I will be interested to see how Versteeg plays with the limited offensive support in Toronto.

This one could definitely go either way.

Toronto trades away prospects for a more established player, but I think the ceiling on at least one of those prospects may be higher. Doesnt necessarily mean he'll pan out though.

I will be interested to see how Versteeg plays with the limited offensive support in Toronto.

He spent a vast majority of the season playing with the likes of Ladd, Madden and Byfuglien. Good players, not guys who pad your stats. There's obviously the tougher match up factor to offset that, he'll be up against teams top pairings and defensive players. With that said, there will be more then 15 minutes a game in ice time and probably significantly more PP time.

I look for his numbers to go up, probably marginally.

The Leafs aren't great offensively, they're actually bad but nothing out of the norm terrible, they were right on par with the Habs offensively last season. He's a good, not great, player but he's young and fills a hole.

Hm, other than Stalberg I don't know much about the youngsters the Leafs sent to Chicago. Still, it looks like Chicago's done a pretty good job of clearing cap space.

Yeah, they have. I'd say this is a great trade for Chicago no matter how it pans out, as their backs were kind of against the wall and they got a lot in return. It could be a great trade for Toronto as well if Versteeg continues to improve and the prospects don't pan out, but like I said earlier I don't know much about them really.

Can't say I've watched him play much, but he's a small roughly 50 point player (so far, not sure if he's peaked or not). Not a bad addition by any means, but I've got to question Toronto's wisdom on trading away prospects (to be fair, I don't know if Paradis's stock has fallen; and Versteeg is only 24)

Agreed, and this is why I continue to believe that Brian Burke is nothing more than a loudmouthed overrated sack of crap. All he knows how to do is deplete the farm with splashy deals. That works when you have a solid foundation to build on, not when you just spent last season at the bottom of the conference and you are already missing picks due to an idiotic trade you made for Phil Kessel.

He's in the process of doing to Toronto what he did to Vancouver: leaving them with an empty prospect cupboard.

Versteeg's a good player, not a great one, and he's a smurf to boot. He's not going to transform the Leafs into a playoff contender on his own.

Well Chicago had to get salary off the books so its a good trade for them, DiDomineco should be a decent grinder type player who can score a few goals, Paradis is probably a fringe NHLer in the future, and Stalberg will likely play wing on their 3rd/4th line very cheaply (i think his contract is something like 700k + bonuses).

Versteeg will likely be a 20 goal 50 point guy for the next two years and the Leafs really need that. Sweatt is a decent prospect and has probably the same value as Paradis. Leafs also signed Joey Crabb, a UFA forward from Chicago to help replace some of the depth they lost in this trade, doubt he will be more than a call up forward but still Toronto needs some depth in the minor leagues that could be used on call up bases.

Burke had one seemingly good stint in Vancouver - when Pat Quinn was here, too. But! Quinn was the one /really/ running the show. Ever since Burke has been without Quinn around, he's been useless. His Leafs really prove it. Never thought you could laugh /more/ at them, but here you go...

Looks like an improved team in Toronto. (not that that would be hard to do LOL). This was an excellent deal for the Leafs.

It would be difficult to look worse. Maybe BB can work on that a little. :P:lol:

Archived