The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Souray Put On Waivers

Oilers address defense again

07.02.10 / 12:23 PM ET

Edmonton said its blue line would be its biggest area for improvement this off-season. As such, they have used free agency to address the weakness.

Thursday, they made a big splash, signing the highly underrated Kurtis Forster to a free-agent deal. Friday, the process continued as reports suggest the club has signed veteran Jason Strudwick and farmhand Richard Petiot.

Strudwick, 34, is a classic stay-at-home defender who has played for the Oilers for the past two years. He has compiled 2 goals and 13 assists during that 143-game tenure and was also a minus-22. Petiot, 27, has 13 games of NHL experience, most recently an 11-game stint with Tampa Bay in 2008-09. He played last season with Rockford (AHL) and had 8 goals and 37 points in 80 games.

On a related note, Mark Spector of Sportsnet.ca is reporting that veteran defenseman Sheldon Souray has been waived by the club. Edmonton was hoping to find a trade partner for Souray, who asked out from the club this past season.

But, it appears that did not happen and now Edmonton may be hoping that another NHL team claims Souray on re-entry waivers, thereby assuming half of his cap hit.

Source/NHL.com.

On a related note, Mark Spector of Sportsnet.ca is reporting that veteran defenseman Sheldon Souray has been waived by the club. Edmonton was hoping to find a trade partner for Souray, who asked out from the club this past season.

But, it appears that did not happen and now Edmonton may be hoping that another NHL team claims Souray on re-entry waivers, thereby assuming half of his cap hit.

Source/NHL.com.

Hrm. Id almost be willing to try this on re-entry. It would mean $2.7m for the upcoming season and then the full $5.4m for the next year. Yes, next year would be tough, but Hammer and a few other expensive assets would be off the books. Having souray's shot on the PP would be nice and his toughness as a protector of our players would be huge.

Dont see it happening, but the thought of it is intriguing.

Hrm. Id almost be willing to try this on re-entry. It would mean $2.7m for the upcoming season and then the full $5.4m for the next year. Yes, next year would be tough, but Hammer and a few other expensive assets would be off the books. Having souray's shot on the PP would be nice and his toughness as a protector of our players would be huge.

I don't think that's how it works, I'm pretty sure re-entry waiver rules are for the duration of the contrct (see Avery)

Even better! He is going to be a steal at $2.7M. Can someone tell me how the waiver priority system works for teams? or is it whoever claims first?

As far as i know,,,hes offered to all 29 teams and whoever is the lowest ranked ( from last season) to put in a claim, gets him.

When he's been heatlhy, he's been awesome, but the injury problems outweighed his worth over the past three years.

I love his no none-sense attitude and I believe him wehn he said a the end of the season that there were problems with management. However, I don't think it was ther right thing to do because it put the rest of his teammates in a uncomfortable position and, even though he said the problem wasn't the city, he still really hurt the fans by demanding a trade (a little Roy-esque, if you will). Now we just want him gone and all this crap over with.

This reminds me of when Bulin was put on waivers a couple years ago.

I wouldnt have a problem reclaiming Souray at half price. I'd be surprised to see the Oilers go that route as it would mean a cap hit, and a cash hit, of 2,7 mill for 2 years, but then again,,,,,who can say for certain?It wouldnt be a problem for the 1st month of the season as a Marky replacement on the injury list but it definitely would require somebody being moved.

When he's been heatlhy, he's been awesome, but the injury problems outweighed his worth over the past three years.

I love his no none-sense attitude and I believe him wehn he said a the end of the season that there were problems with management. However, I don't think it was ther right thing to do because it put the rest of his teammates in a uncomfortable position and, even though he said the problem wasn't the city, he still really hurt the fans by demanding a trade (a little Roy-esque, if you will). Now we just want him gone and all this crap over with.

This reminds me of when Bulin was put on waivers a couple years ago.

The press thing is a little bothersome. I detest players who air their problems in the media ,directly or through their agents. In Souray's case,,,,, he was a model citizen as a Hab and a strong leader. This buys him a little slack in my books,, but only a little.

The press thing is a little bothersome. I detest players who air their problems in the media ,directly or through their agents. In Souray's case,,,,, he was a model citizen as a Hab and a strong leader. This buys him a little slack in my books,, but only a little.

Yeah, we were fine with his injuries and everything until then. Fact is, we've already gotten burned by Pronger and Heatley, if Souray wasn't only focused on himself, he'd realize that was the wrong thing to do. He might be getting it now, though.

He actually said to one of the guys on TSN that he wouldn't mind staying in Edmonton (obviously realizing that no one else really wanted him)... sorry buddy, but as the great philosopher Bush once said, "There's an old saying in Tennessee - I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee - that says, fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me - you can't get fooled again."

It's only half the salary if he gets sent down to the minors and then is recalled. I doubt that scenario is going to happen. I think the Oilers will wait on a trade before anything like that happens where they are on the hook for half with nothing in return.

Ya, we're talking hypothetically at this point. But if Edmonton thinks "Souray has to go" and there are no good trades (entirely possible), re-entry waivers may make sense (tends to be better than a buyout).

Ya, we're talking hypothetically at this point. But if Edmonton thinks "Souray has to go" and there are no good trades (entirely possible), re-entry waivers may make sense (tends to be better than a buyout).

On re-entry i have little doubt he would get snapped up well before we got a shot at him. Is the buyout period over now???

I doubt he would come back and I'm not sure if he would be the player he was when he left. That said I'm sure there would be plenty of interest should Edmonton send him down and then call him back up as it would make him more affordable. But like another member has previously said it would not benefit Edmonton since they would get nothing in return.

I'll be shocked if he comes back to MTL, but hey Calgary has shown that anything is possible ;)

I doubt he would come back and I'm not sure if he would be the player he was when he left. That said I'm sure there would be plenty of interest should Edmonton send him down and then call him back up as it would make him more affordable. But like another member has previously said it would not benefit Edmonton since they would get nothing in return.

I'll be shocked if he comes back to MTL, but hey Calgary has shown that anything is possible ;)

Actually,,,i think he would love to come back to Montreal. ;) As for wanting to,,,,,,,,,,he wouldnt have a choice if he were claimed on waivers. He either accepts his new destination or choses not to report and gets suspended with no money.

Archived