Cammalleri-Plekanec-White

Pouliot-Eller-Lapierre

Pyatt-Boyd-Darche

Moen Neilsen

Markov-OB

Hamrlik-Subban

Gill-Gorges

Spacek

1. I feel strongly that White, Pyatt, and Eller will be the top 3 youngsters coming out of camp. I don't think Pacioretty will be ready. I don't think Moen has the scoring ability to play on the top two lines and he doesn't hit often enough to make my bottom two. I want someone faster and with more energy. I would also rather have Trotter or Desharnais up with the team but given the signings I don't think there is room for them and the other guys unless a trade is made. Moen at under 2 million a year is an asset that could be traded to bring something back to the team.

2. I want a bigger body with some skating ability on each of top two lines. White and AK fit this bill slightly better than Pouliot, although I would like to see how Benny comes to camp and how much weight he has put on. If he starts to hit and find the net, he could easily be slotted into the top two lines as well.

3. For reasons I have stated elsewhere, I don't like having Hamrlik and Spacek both in the line-up unless they're the let side on different lines. Once Markov is back, I prefer to keep OB and Subban on the right, and there is no room for Spacek in my starting line-up.

4. I think everyone would like to see an enforcer of some type ready to be slotted in if need be. Our best option at this point is to sign Eric Neilsen to a two-way contract and allow him to play on the NHL squad as a reserve, so that he is available against teams like Phi, Bos, or Tor.

It's July so there's a lot left to decide (more roster moves, see how players look in camp ect) but as of right now I think you have to look at Eller as a guy who will be on this team in October and I think he's ready, the question is will he be in the middle of the ice or on the wing?

Forgetting the possibility of bringing in another center or resigning Moore (I'm just going to work with players we have either signed or control) Lapierre and Boyd are capable of being our bottom 6 centers behind Gomez and Plekanec. Ideally, if a player can play center you put him there but Eller is a guy who should be in the top 6 shortly and he's blocked for 4 years at least in terms of being a top 6 center. With his size and ability to go to the net there's no issue IMO to play him on the wing and he may even battle with Pouliot for a spot in the top 6 come September/October if Pouliot doesn't impress in camp and early on.

However, I think right now it's a safe bet that the top 6 to start would be Plekanec, Gomez, Gionta, Cammalleri, Kostitsyn, Pouliot. The bottom 6 is where it gets interesting. Lapierre, Moen and Boyd seem like locks to me to start leaving 3 spots left for the likes of Eller, Pacioretty, Pyatt, White, Darche. I think Pyatt is pretty safe and I am willing to bet Eller makes this team so that leaves 1 spot IMO for Pacioretty, White and Darche. Darche will be on this team, whether it be as a regular player or as the 13th forward due to his age (he's not a kid so him sitting in the press box isn't an issue), salary (500,000, as cheap as you'll fill a roster spot for) and ability to do the little things relatively well. White is a prototypical bottom 6 guy and Pacioretty can maybe use more development but we'll see how he looks at camp. I'm a big Pacioretty fan, bigger then most. I like his potential a lot and I'd really like to see him force his way onto this team.

Pouliot Gomez Gionta - Top 6 scoring line

Cammalleri Plekanc Kostitsyn - Top 6 scoring line

Pyatt Lapierre Moen - Checking line

Eller Boyd Pacioretty/White - 4th line can go in a lot of directions.

I have asked this question 4 times in the past,never got a response....I'll attempt again. :D .....what is the story on Neilson.....can he be brought up this season?????

curious.

My understanding is that he was signed to a contract by the Hamilton Bulldogs, but remains unaffiliated to an NHL team (I believe he was just on tryout at the Canadiens' camp last year). However, he is a UFA and so can be signed by any NHL club including ours. So he cannot be "brought up" really unless he is first signed by our club. I don't understand why we wouldn't want to have a player like this on our team though after what he showed he could do in camp last year. The Habs year in year out are missing this type of player who hits, fights, and plays with energy.

My understanding is that he was signed to a contract by the Hamilton Bulldogs, but remains unaffiliated to an NHL team (I believe he was just on tryout at the Canadiens' camp last year). However, he is a UFA and so can be signed by any NHL club including ours. So he cannot be "brought up" really unless he is first signed by our club. I don't understand why we wouldn't want to have a player like this on our team though after what he showed he could do in camp last year. The Habs year in year out are missing this type of player who hits, fights, and plays with energy.

1st off...I thank you for replying. :D

What he did in camp last season was impressive.....anyways,now I understand by your post why I do not hear much of him.....but let me say....I love this dude. :P .....we should grab on to him,no?

1st off...I thank you for replying. :D

What he did in camp last season was impressive.....anyways,now I understand by your post why I do not hear much of him.....but let me say....I love this dude. :P .....we should grab on to him,no?

Isnt there some kind of limit on how many contracts an NHL team can carry???

I actually forgot this post in Eric's thread couple of month back...

QUOTE (swansee @ May 28 2010, 01:32 PM) post_snapback.gif

Yes he did, he was our enforcer, also all round nice guy in the community, and WHOOOOOOOO guy on the scoreboard.

He has been injured for a few months and I'm not sure of his status - he played well and hard when he was in the lineup - 38 games.

I can't understand why some are so high on White and thinking he will make the Habs... same goes for Pacioretty IMO. What about the likes of Brock Trotter and David Desharnais... just considering their +/- would indicate they are very good two-way players that have scoring ability 5 on 5 (At least at the AHL level).

Okay, so size may be an issue and Pouliot and A.Kostitsyn are generally penciled in as top six forwards... but I wouldn't mind seeing just what Trotter and Desharnais could do if given the ice-time. Its really too early to say what the team will actually look like (who knows if some players will be traded or not ;) ). IMO there are really no players currently in the system and with the Habs that combine top scoring ability with size and very good two-way play... but both Trotter and Desharnais have shown they can score and play a very good two-way game by the look of things.

I want to get A.Kostitsyn away from Plekanec and both he and Pouliot have to prove they can stand alone and be leaders in their own right. So with what's potentially available to start the season here goes something different and looking outside the box...

Deharnais-Gomez-Gionta

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Trotter

Pouliot-Eller-A.Kostitsyn

Pyatt-Boyd-Lapierre

Moen, Darche

Ideally, I think we could trade away Travis Moen and save some cap space by replacing him with another Bulldog like White I guess.

Their is some flexibility with Pouliot, Kostitsyn, Trotter and Desharnais and competition for top-six minutes is not necessarily a bad thing IMO.

Lines could still utilize any of the 4 depending on who is producing and who is not... and a line of Desharnais-Eller-Trotter is also possible.

Hamrlik-Subban

Spacek-O'Byrne

Gill-Gorges

Alex Henry until Markov returns

Price/Auld

I'm working on the assumption that Lapiere will be re-signed.

Scoring Line 1A: Cammalleri-Plekanec-Kostitsyn

If Andrei is going to have a bounce-back year, we have to surround him with players that understand his game and can get him the puck at the right time. Andrei's job is to play hard and physical below the hash marks (which he already does), go to the net, and pick up the rebounds. Working the cycle game off the boards, he has to make quick, sharp passes instead of doing what he usually does, which is skating himself out of position and winding up high to the blue line with two defenders ready to strip him of the puck.

Scoring Line 1B: Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta

This line's success depends on whether Gomez can be the player we saw during the second half of last season for a full year, and whether Pouliot can be stronger on the puck and more willing to take his game into dirty areas.

Checking Line: Moen-Pyatt-Lapierre

IMO these guys are the top candidates to constitute a legitimate checking line with some scoring touch.

Development / Energy Line: Pacioretty-Boyd-Eller

A chance for prospects to get low-pressure minutes playing with an energetic RW who will force them to keep skating. Line also has pretty good size and strength. Darche draws in here as injury and/or performance dictate.

DEFENSIVE PAIRINGS (without Markov)

Hamrlik-Subban: If Hammer is going to play Markov-type minutes, he needs to be paired with a younger, fresher d-man so that the pairing isn't victimized if the play breaks down in our end.

Spacek-O'Byrne: For God's sake, move Jaro back to his natural left side. This pairing provides Spacek with a big physical d-man on the right side to let him work the puck effectively in transition.

Gill-Gorges: The ol' shot-blocking duo from the playoffs.

DEFENSIVE PAIRINGS (with Markov)

Markov-O'Byrne: If O'Byrne can elevate, this is the ideal top defensive pairing for us, simulating Markov-Komisarek at their peak.

Spacek-Subban: Undersized, but it's important for P.K. to get quality minutes even when Markov is healthy.

Hamrlik/Gill-Gorges: As the season wears on, why not rotate the two old guys (Hammer and Gill) to keep both men fresh down the stretch? Hammer can also swap in for Spacek on the second pairing if necessary.

I can't understand why some are so high on White and thinking he will make the Habs... same goes for Pacioretty IMO. What about the likes of Brock Trotter and David Desharnais... just considering their +/- would indicate they are very good two-way players that have scoring ability 5 on 5 (At least at the AHL level).

Okay, so size may be an issue and Pouliot and A.Kostitsyn are generally penciled in as top six forwards... but I wouldn't mind seeing just what Trotter and Desharnais could do if given the ice-time. Its really too early to say what the team will actually look like (who knows if some players will be traded or not ;) ). IMO there are really no players currently in the system and with the Habs that combine top scoring ability with size and very good two-way play... but both Trotter and Desharnais have shown they can score and play a very good two-way game by the look of things.

I want to get A.Kostitsyn away from Plekanec and both he and Pouliot have to prove they can stand alone and be leaders in their own right. So with what's potentially available to start the season here goes something different and looking outside the box...

Deharnais-Gomez-Gionta

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Trotter

Pouliot-Eller-A.Kostitsyn

Pyatt-Boyd-Lapierre

Moen, Darche

I would have no problem with seeing what Desharnais or Trotter could do, but there is obviously not room for all the boys down in Hamilton, and I would favor White because he had a slightly longer stint with us last year and showed some good things, he is a good skater, and he brings size and hits. I think there is no question Pyatt will be back, and I think given the fact we gave up last year's best player to acquire him, Eller will get a very good look to make the team. For me, that leaves Pacioretty, trotter, and Desharnais on the outs, although like you, I would rather see one of those guys take a spot than Moen, who underwhelmed me most of the time last year.

As or Ak46, I can't see him being paired with Pouliot and a rookie. AK and Pouliot are both slackers occasionally and no one on that line has the maturity to be the one to get them to step up their performance. I personally favored trying AK with Gomez and Gionta. We've seen him with Cammi and Pleks and it wasn't consistent enough, so I figure even if someone's off-wing, let's see if Gio (our best leader) can light a fire under him.

Hamrlik-Subban: If Hammer is going to play Markov-type minutes, he needs to be paired with a younger, fresher d-man so that the pairing isn't victimized if the play breaks down in our end.

Spacek-O'Byrne: For God's sake, move Jaro back to his natural left side. This pairing provides Spacek with a big physical d-man on the right side to let him work the puck effectively in transition.

Markov-O'Byrne: If O'Byrne can elevate, this is the ideal top defensive pairing for us, simulating Markov-Komisarek at their peak.

Spacek-Subban: Undersized, but it's important for P.K. to get quality minutes even when Markov is healthy.

Hamrlik/Gill-Gorges: As the season wears on, why not rotate the two old guys (Hammer and Gill) to keep both men fresh down the stretch? Hammer can also swap in for Spacek on the second pairing if necessary.

Completely agreed that Spacek needs to play on the left to be of any value to us. That being said, Spacek and Hamrlik are very close in age. Gill looked great down the stretch (after coming back from injury) and his style of game requires less exertion skating, so I think Hamr and Spacek would be the two guys I would rotate. I really don't think we need both eating up cap money on this team, however. Although Alex Henry and Shawn Belle are both free agents, they seemed like very reliable D-men in the time they spent with us, and I would be equally interested to see what kind of improvement Carle or Weber have made. For a 7th D (and yes there could be an injury, but there are a ton of vet D-men who will remain unsigned and who could be brought in... Dandenault?), it is too much to be paying 3-5 million to a guy who's rotating in and out of the line-up. I'd say bury one in the minors or keep trying to find a trade partner.

Andrei - Plekanec - Cammalleri

Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta

Pyatt - Boyd - Moen

Desharnais - Eller - Lapierre

Darche, White

Hamrlik - Subban

Gill - Gorges

Spacek - O'Byrne

Weber

Price

Auld

IMO that's a competitive team but not going to be good enough to offset the improvements made by the Bruins and Senators in our division and the Sabres are the Sabres, they will find a way to be good in front of Miller. We need a puck moving D-man and I truthfully believe that an upgrade at the LW spot for Andrei K would be the key to a successful season. Wheter it's from Andrei himself finally becoming good or more likely via trade, those 2 pieces could make the Habs legit top 5 in the conference when Markov returns.

I'm working on the assumption that Lapiere will be re-signed.

Scoring Line 1A: Cammalleri-Plekanec-Kostitsyn

If Andrei is going to have a bounce-back year, we have to surround him with players that understand his game and can get him the puck at the right time. Andrei's job is to play hard and physical below the hash marks (which he already does), go to the net, and pick up the rebounds. Working the cycle game off the boards, he has to make quick, sharp passes instead of doing what he usually does, which is skating himself out of position and winding up high to the blue line with two defenders ready to strip him of the puck.

Scoring Line 1B: Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta

This line's success depends on whether Gomez can be the player we saw during the second half of last season for a full year, and whether Pouliot can be stronger on the puck and more willing to take his game into dirty areas.

Checking Line: Moen-Pyatt-Lapierre

IMO these guys are the top candidates to constitute a legitimate checking line with some scoring touch.

Development / Energy Line: Pacioretty-Boyd-Eller

A chance for prospects to get low-pressure minutes playing with an energetic RW who will force them to keep skating. Line also has pretty good size and strength. Darche draws in here as injury and/or performance dictate.

Mostly wanted to comment on the energy/development line. I really like the idea of having our 4th line be a "kid" line we can draw some secondary scoring from instead of your typical "energy" line. Boyd and Eller should almost be guarantees, and while I'm hopefully Patches can have a great camp and be the third piece, I'd give guys like Trotter and Desharnais every opportunity to play their way on that line as well. I also think you use it as a tryout line and promote from it to your top 6 if AK and or Pouliot are faltering and someone is performing really well on that 4th line.

Even if this creates some line shuffling in our top 6, you have your constant duos of Plek/Cammi and Gomez/Gionta so there will still be a measure of stability there.

Archived