The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#21 Brian Gionta 2010-11

fourtrax

#21 Brian Gionta

8467407.jpg

BioStatsVideoDraft Class
QUOTE LIBRARY

A plus for the former Devils is that they flourished with a defence-oriented club in New Jersey, which is how the Canadiens are expected to play under new coach Jacques Martin. "I have a lot of respect for him and the way he handles his team," said Gionta. thehockeynews.com

“I’ve known Brian for a long time and he sets an example with his work ethic,” Gill said. “He’s the smallest guy out there, but he plays big and he commands respect by winning battles and scoring key goals.” Montreal Gazette, 29 September 2010

“He’s fearless, he goes to the net like few other guys I’ve seen,” defenceman Josh Gorges said recently of Gionta, who led the Habs with 28 goals last year despite missing 21 games through injury. “He doesn’t care how much traffic there is or how big guys are.” The Globe and Mail, 29 September 2010

Brian is amazing the way he can take the puck away form huge players in the corners and always being where the puck is going to be for great scoring opportunities. This guy plays hard every night, their line with Pouliot and Gomez give the opposition fits and are a pleasure to watch.

• 4 weeks later...
THAT is a very noble and appreciated gesture ;)

Thanks but it didn't take long for you know who to be the topic of conversation again so let's try again. :lol: And it's the fault of the poster who gets the captain of the Habs or lack thereof confused with Captain Morgan. :P

Now back to Brian Gionta. Please wear your skateguards and duck when Cammalleri shoots. Or was it Gionta or Cammalleri who hit Gomez? Who hit Gill on the foot? What about Moen?

Well if all of the boys wear the skateguards and those fancy socks the injuries may be...............nevermind, don't want to jinx a thing. :D

Thanks but it didn't take long for you know who to be the topic of conversation again so let's try again. :lol: And it's the fault of the poster who gets the captain of the Habs or lack thereof confused with Captain Morgan. :P

Now back to Brian Gionta. Please wear your skateguards and duck when Cammalleri shoots. Or was it Gionta or Cammalleri who hit Gomez? Who hit Gill on the foot? What about Moen?

Well if all of the boys wear the skateguards and those fancy socks the injuries may be...............nevermind, don't want to jinx a thing. :D

Captain Morgan is a cool dude and I believe he has a lifetime contract, just no formal thread to discuss him so ... ;)

I'm quite sure Gio! will never play another game without skateguards. What they really need to do though is find a way to make sure that the straps dont come off like they did for Gorges. And as far as "I dont want to jinx a thing" goes, methinks we already went through Armageddon last season, it cant possibly be worse now can it? :unsure:

Less than two months to go before we see Lil' Smudge lead the charge and battle hard *sigh* we're having a wonderful summer wheather wise but it's so damn long!

Captain Morgan is a cool dude and I believe he has a lifetime contract, just no formal thread to discuss him so ... ;)

"hiccup" sorry I'll tone it down :lol:

I think Gionta will be my favourite player this season.

I love watching gionta play. He plays sooo big for a small man. I loved watching him lay into van riemsdiek (sp?) in the phili series it made me chuckle. Also love his determination. Looking forward to watching him play more than like 20 games this year. Who knows anyone think he has another 40 goal season in him :P one can dream

I love watching gionta play. He plays sooo big for a small man. I loved watching him lay into van riemsdiek (sp?) in the phili series it made me chuckle. Also love his determination. Looking forward to watching him play more than like 20 games this year. Who knows anyone think he has another 40 goal season in him :P one can dream

Last season I believe he was scoring at a pace of 37 goals over 82 games so it's quite possible if he doesn't take another puck off his foot.

Last season I believe he was scoring at a pace of 37 goals over 82 games so it's quite possible if he doesn't take another puck off his foot.

Gionta was arguably the most solid, consistent player over the course of last year. He seemed to single-handedly spark Gomez and if the two of them are healthy, I think Gio will easily score 30 and could challenge for 40 goals. I am not an overly huge fan of Gomez's back-checking but he is a very good set-up man and Gionta benefited from that last year, as he di when they were in New Jersey. For Gio to get back to 48-50 goals though he's going to need the third member of that line to contribute more consistently than Pouliot did last year and he's going to need the other scoring line of AK46-Pleks-Cammy to be healthy and productive as well so the other team can't check one line exclusively. I don't think it's impossible for Gionta to get to 40 goals by any means though if things fall into place.

Gionta was arguably the most solid, consistent player over the course of last year. He seemed to single-handedly spark Gomez and if the two of them are healthy, I think Gio will easily score 30 and could challenge for 40 goals. I am not an overly huge fan of Gomez's back-checking but he is a very good set-up man and Gionta benefited from that last year, as he di when they were in New Jersey. For Gio to get back to 48-50 goals though he's going to need the third member of that line to contribute more consistently than Pouliot did last year and he's going to need the other scoring line of AK46-Pleks-Cammy to be healthy and productive as well so the other team can't check one line exclusively. I don't think it's impossible for Gionta to get to 40 goals by any means though if things fall into place.

Lets hope that happens

And he scored at a similar pace in the post-season (9 goals in 19 games), however even with that I think 28-33 goals is more in the range of what we'll see or could even expect from Gionta if he stays healthy. He's only ever broken 30 goals once in his career, a complete aberration of a season back in 05/06 after the lockout.

Archived