The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#11 Scott Gomez 2010-11

fourtrax

#11 Scott Gomez

8467351.jpg

BioStatsVideoDraft Class

QUOTE LIBRARY

“Hey, I’m not going to kid myself. I’d love to be 6-4 and the starting pitcher for the Yankees, but it didn’t work out that way. We knew with the group we had, it didn’t matter how big you were. Heart goes a long way.” The Globe and Mail

Nice read The Smurfs are huge on speed, skill,hard work and desire. Gomez is 6' and 200 lbs, that's not that small.

He shoots a fair bit, he just has a really weak shot.

He should work a little bit on his shot. It's not the greatest, but I do remember some decent shooting from him. Right now though, all that stands out from last season is the goal he scored in the loss to Calgary early in the season...and even that I might be remembering wrong.

Gomez, Im behind you again. Not unconditionally though. You need to show me that my enthusiasm is not misguided and that you CAN produce.

A full year of Gio on your right and either Pouliot, AK, Eller or some as-of-now unsigned UFA and I think you can not only break 70 points but maybe more.

Come on, Scott. Show us why you had more than 1 team offering you over $7m a year a few years back.

Gomez, Im behind you again. Not unconditionally though. You need to show me that my enthusiasm is not misguided and that you CAN produce.

A full year of Gio on your right and either Pouliot, AK, Eller or some as-of-now unsigned UFA and I think you can not only break 70 points but maybe more.

Come on, Scott. Show us why you had more than 1 team offering you over $7m a year a few years back.

THIS

Can we get a separate Scott Gomez contract thread, so I can skip that thread and just read posts in here about how Scott Gomez plays hockey?

It's a cap world. Like it or not, your production relative to your cap hit is always going to be a topic of discussion.

I know quite a few people complain about Gomez's shot... Well, I've seen him score some pretty goals. Being a play maker, I don't think he's thinking about scoring when he shoots on net... I think he's trying to create scoring chances. Sometimes the weaker shots confuse a goalie more than a hard accurate shot... Which in turn leads to rebounds or may even go in.

I know quite a few people complain about Gomez's shot... Well, I've seen him score some pretty goals. Being a play maker, I don't think he's thinking about scoring when he shoots on net... I think he's trying to create scoring chances. Sometimes the weaker shots confuse a goalie more than a hard accurate shot... Which in turn leads to rebounds or may even go in.

smack in the middle of the plate for gio! to bat in :D

his cap hit wont change and everything has been say 100+ times about how overpaid he is :P

Only if he doesn't produce to a reasonable level which we have every right to expect. If Scott can post up 70 points next season, at least 15 goals, and play a strong two-way game, then I'll be happy with his cap hit.

Regardless of what he's thinking when he shoots, his goal totals for this season were unacceptably low for a supposed top-line center. Even Thornton, who has about a bazillion more assists than goals in a given year, lights the lamp more often than Gomez. Even playmakers need to think about scoring directly on occasion, just like snipers need to make the pass and not always think about their own shot.

He should work a little bit on his shot. It's not the greatest, but I do remember some decent shooting from him. Right now though, all that stands out from last season is the goal he scored in the loss to Calgary early in the season...and even that I might be remembering wrong.

Good idea usually people don't work at it like Crosby did, it worked for him why not Scott.

15g + 55a for 70 points, playing 82 games with Gio and a healthy Pouliot should be considered the baseline this season.

That's not a Gomez bash, just a realistic assessment of what that line will probably deliver if it stays healthy.

If I was a betting man, I'd take a spread bet on .85 PPG.

I believe Gomez salary will not be a problem a couple of years down the road. I was just checking out capgeek.com and noticed that Gomez salary drops to 5.5M and 4.5M in its final two years (cap hit will remain ~ 7.3M). There are plenty of teams that are stuggling to just make the cap floor. I would think teams such as Nashville, Atlanta etc... would definitely make a pitch for Gomez when his contract starts to dip in its final two years.

• 3 weeks later...
Is Gomez active in the locker room?

I guess you'd have to ask the players!

The fact he's worn an "A" for his last 3 teams makes me think he is. Also, during breaks you see him talking with anyone who will listen, pointing out plays and (presumably) trying to help his younger teammates. Id be pretty surprised if he wasnt active in the locker room, but its all speculation for any of us.

I guess you'd have to ask the players!

The fact he's worn an "A" for his last 3 teams makes me think he is. Also, during breaks you see him talking with anyone who will listen, pointing out plays and (presumably) trying to help his younger teammates. Id be pretty surprised if he wasnt active in the locker room, but its all speculation for any of us.

From having attended quite a few games smack behind the bench, I can confirm this. Gomez is a real chatter box on the bench and doesn't hesitate to 'push' the youngsters, I cant quote the stuff I heard him yell eventhough I remember what he said perfectly. ;)

Archived