The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#75 Hal Gill 2010-11

fourtrax

I don't see why Gill is so disliked.

He's not the best D-man for sure. But he has tons of experience including a Stanley Cup ring.

We have quite a few younger players coming up and a guy like him is what they need.

He's dedicated and seems like a pretty good leader.

Look at Rivet - he wasn't outstanding on the blueline, but you could never deny is natural instinct for leadership.

you started it with your question about observing his "speed ", I just answered what I did observe ... looks like you're playing trouble maker in all the threads today brian :P:lol:

:lol: Troublemaker? ouch! (I'm not feeling well today and it has affected my brain I guess... could have something to do with all that cold/flu medicine) So I'm having some fun on you... sweetheart ;)

I did feel Gill was faster and (I can't believe I'm saying this) a little more agile. :mellow:

He's not the best D-man for sure. But he has tons of experience including a Stanley Cup ring.

We have quite a few younger players coming up and a guy like him is what they need.

Look at Rivet - he wasn't outstanding on the blueline, but you could never deny is natural instinct for leadership.

I've said before that I disliked Rivet immensely. He was one of my least favorite Habs of all time, and I think he was more of a self-appointed leader. He was pretty awful on the ice and relied heavily on clutching and grabbing, so he certainly wasn't an on-ice leader. Off the ice, he was cocky and if you watch a lot of his interviews, he always talked about "guys having to step up," but he said this in a way that meant "other guys need to step up." You could tell he thought he was a better player than he actually was, and I didn't care for that. Completely the opposite of guys like Koivu or Halak or Plekanec or Markov, who you can tell are sincere and care about the team. Rivet cared for number one.

As for Gill, I don't think he is disliked the same way Rivet is. By all accounts, he seems like a bit of a goofball. I think people respect the performance he gave in the playoffs and I think he showed then how valuable he is in certain situations. But I will be the first to admit that despite this, he had stretches where he was the biggest liability on the ice. His offensive contribution is non-existent, his skating is weak, and his coverage one-on-one is to be desired for. He is great when he is in the corners and when he is parked in front of the net or blocking shots. He brings a veteran presence. But let's not pretend that he is a skilled player by any means. I appreciate the job he did for us, and as I see the habs having a decent shot at the playoffs again, I believe he can make a positive contribution to the team again. But I also acknowledge that he is likely to get burnt for goals and penalties this year, and at over 2 million a year, I cannot see the Habs retaining his services once his contract expires after this season.

Hal Gill is made assistant captain again this season and he will always be there for his teammates this came out during the playoffs, and it seems the overall worth of Gill's game is a hard to evaluate but suffice to say he can be a shutdown dman like he did in the playoffs he is an essential piece of the Habs in the playoffs. That is our goal the Stanley Cup and Gill wants it as bad as any player.

why did we let komy walk and replace him with gill exact same player ones younger and sure a bit dumb with penalties but hes still young

ya it's not like we offered him a 25 mill 5 year contract that he turned down and went to get a toronto to once again be GROSSELY overpaid.

Ya why didn't we keep him

ya it's not like we offered him a 25 mill 5 year contract that he turned down and went to get a toronto to once again be GROSSELY overpaid.

Ya why didn't we keep him

in that case we coulda helda out a year and waited till this season to sign anton volchenkov a younger guy who hits i mean cmon i love gill and what he did for us last year but still we could even signed michalek for 5 mil a year

Is why he's now sporting the A

why did we let komy walk and replace him with gill exact same player ones younger and sure a bit dumb with penalties but hes still young

With all due respect to Gill and to all the people who hate Komisarek now, Komi is a better asset than Gill. Komisarek, as you said, is younger and he is a slightly better skater. He also has more of a mean streak than Gill and in my opinion, plays a better physical game. They both take bad penalties. Gill is slightly better on the PK and in front of the net, but doesn't move the puck as well as Komisarek, sadly. The fact is that the Habs set a price for what they were willing to pay Komi and an offer was put forward, and he bolted for more money to TO. Gill is making a couple million less than Komisarek, so I don't think it was necessarily done as a one-for-one replacement.

Guest ForeverGuyLafleur
Well regular-season Gill is back ... just 81 more games

<_<

He sure needs to hang around Alouettes players to appreciate even more the feeling of using physical assets to destroy people on the ice like mad dogs. C'mon man! Gill should know he's paid to defend and especially whoop a few butts on opposition players with monster hits even if it's dirty.

At least Rivet was going for it when he can "smell blood" for a fight or a thunderous hit. We're not asking much from Gill except to lay down thunderous hits deemed appropriate to intimidate the opposition to change the momentum. He's got size, so better use it with a mad dog approach.

<_<

He sure needs to hang around Alouettes players to appreciate even more the feeling of using physical assets to destroy people on the ice like mad dogs. C'mon man! Gill should know he's paid to defend and especially whoop a few butts on opposition players with monster hits even if it's dirty.

At least Rivet was going for it when he can "smell blood" for a fight or a thunderous hit. We're not asking much from Gill except to lay down thunderous hits deemed appropriate to intimidate the opposition to change the momentum. He's got size, so better use it with a mad dog approach.

Hal Gill and montrous hit? He can never pick enough speed to be able to deliver any kind of hit, let alone a monstrous one.

I never liked this guy from the day he signed. He is painful to watch.

Archived