The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#75 Hal Gill 2010-11

fourtrax

Guest ForeverGuyLafleur
He's Hal Gill... like him or not.

That's why he won't convince a lot of people ever, wherever he goes. <_<

For the record, a thunderous hit is about letting the opponent come, tighten the noose, time it right and become a roadblock in a matter of one second. Players I've seen didn't always need speed to make a thunderous hit.

Anyway, the whole point is: when the team needs a momentum shift, he should do whatever it takes for it such as a bordeline or even dirty hit and drop the gloves. Rivet wasn't my favorite as someone wrote earlier, but at least he was doing that when the occasion was right.

When Gill was a Leaf, the Leafs traded him for Pittsburgh's second-rounder. I don't expect us to receive a second-rounder for Gill if we traded him for picks, though, because he is not as good as he used to be.

Actually, I would argue he is better now than he ever was for toronto. It's not like he's gotten slower or something. His experience level is much higher & his positioning is way better.

Actually, I would argue he is better now than he ever was for toronto. It's not like he's gotten slower or something. His experience level is much higher & his positioning is way better.

Since he left Toronto, he has 3 playoffs series in a row where he went to the ECF or further and was a key piece. I would say is value is at least the same, if not higher, than when he was dealt to Pitt. That's why I think depending how things go, he should be moved at the deadline.

Hal and Josh make a great pairing they should be the 3rd pairing on the Habs when playing those minutes they are more than adequate. When they are playing 1st pairing minutes and penalty killing, they tire and get caught out of position. When Markov and Hamrlik are back there will be no reason for them to carry the load. The defence will be one of the stingiest in the NHL then.Go Habs Go!

Since he left Toronto, he has 3 playoffs series in a row where he went to the ECF or further and was a key piece. I would say is value is at least the same, if not higher, than when he was dealt to Pitt. That's why I think depending how things go, he should be moved at the deadline.

Plus, as you allude to here, Gill is all about the 'playoff magic'. Although I hope he has a great season here, even if he doesn't it probably won't hurt his value very much for a contender looking to add that extra piece before the playoffs.

But since the value of first and second-rounders have increased, we can't get anything better than a second-rounder of a Cup-contending team.

Being a Hab fanatic has been my good fortune these last 50 years and I've watched Hal playing this last year. I find it intriguing that the Habs are playing so well with two of their best dmen out. This means the veterans are picking up the slack and it seems to me Hal's game was good enough to get under the Penguins thick skin and irritate them. We won people we didn't lose there is such a thing as being a good winner. So let's try to be uplifting and happy instead of always looking for doom and gloom,life is so much nicer seeing the silver lining in everything.

I find it weird how some players are expected to be godly every night or else they're crap (the goalie), while others basically have a free pass to be awful for 82 games, provided they elevate their play in the playoffs (Gill).

Maybe if we had more defensemen capable of playing well in the regular season and the playoffs, we wouldn't always be in a dogfight just to make the playoffs.

I find it weird how some players are expected to be godly every night or else they're crap (the goalie), while others basically have a free pass to be awful for 82 games, provided they elevate their play in the playoffs (Gill).

Maybe if we had more defensemen capable of playing well in the regular season and the playoffs, we wouldn't always be in a dogfight just to make the playoffs.

Gill is a 3rd pairing defenseman that's capable of elevating his play in the playoffs. If you're expecting him to play like a top 4 defenseman over the course of 82 games then you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Gill is a 3rd pairing defenseman that's capable of elevating his play in the playoffs. If you're expecting him to play like a top 4 defenseman over the course of 82 games then you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

I agree and for crying out loud can someone please explain this to JM!

Maybe he starts to play better when playoffs draw near.

Meh. The same could be said about every facet of the team. What really slow this team down is the lack of consistant top 6 fowards. We have been looking for another top 6 fowards for ages now, not to mention the lack of productivity of Andrei. I also wish Gomez would step it up; he simply skates too well not to get at least 70 points per seasons.

In fact, it's our even match that stinks. We do good in our end and capitalize on the PP.

Gill is a poor 3rd pairing defenseman that's capable of elevating his play in the playoffs. If you're expecting him to play like a top 4 defenseman over the course of 82 games then you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Fixed for you.

I have no problem with Gill as a third-pairing defenseman, nor do I think he should be a top-four player. But his play during last year's regular season and this season so far has been pretty bad. Being on the third pairing shouldn't entitle him to underperform without repercussions.

Quite frankly, the way he plays during the regular season, we'd be just as good with an AHL callup.

Fixed for you.

I have no problem with Gill as a third-pairing defenseman, nor do I think he should be a top-four player. But his play during last year's regular season and this season so far has been pretty bad. Being on the third pairing shouldn't entitle him to underperform without repercussions.

Quite frankly, the way he plays during the regular season, we'd be just as good with an AHL callup.

If that AHL callup is called Weber, maybe then.

If that AHL callup is called Weber, maybe then.

As bad as Gill's played, I'd take him over Weber. To me, Weber is a raw defender with a slightly above average slapshot. For all his faults, Gill can be a serviceable penalty killer and an average-at-best- shut down dman over the course of 82 games if he just keeps it simple. And never handles the puck. Ever.

I think he gets a worse rap from the fans than is justified, honestly. He certainly does stand out when he gets beat or loses the puck, but I think he does a fair amount of good out there as well that just doesn't stand out.

I think its a similar situation to that of Dandenault; we aren't putting him in the situations best suited to his abilities. It seems like we're asking him to almost be a top-2 guy when in reality he's best suited to a 4-5 role.

Archived