The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#75 Hal Gill 2010-11

fourtrax

I think he gets a worse rap from the fans than is justified, honestly. He certainly does stand out when he gets beat or loses the puck, but I think he does a fair amount of good out there as well that just doesn't stand out.

I think its a similar situation to that of Dandenault; we aren't putting him in the situations best suited to his abilities. It seems like we're asking him to almost be a top-2 guy when in reality he's best suited to a 4-5 role.

Agreed and Hal gets back to his normal role on Saturday when Markov and Hamrlik play.

I find it weird how some players are expected to be godly every night or else they're crap (the goalie), while others basically have a free pass to be awful for 82 games, provided they elevate their play in the playoffs (Gill).

Maybe if we had more defensemen capable of playing well in the regular season and the playoffs, we wouldn't always be in a dogfight just to make the playoffs.

I feel the same way. And the other d-men wouldn't be so taxed not to mention the Habs maybe would improve at even strength if a youngin' (Weber, O'Byrne, Carle, Picard) would be allowed to play with Gorges. At this point, Gorges is capable of "babysitting" someone on the third pairing. The Habs have plenty of D to kill penalties.

I think he gets a worse rap from the fans than is justified, honestly. He certainly does stand out when he gets beat or loses the puck, but I think he does a fair amount of good out there as well that just doesn't stand out.

I think its a similar situation to that of Dandenault; we aren't putting him in the situations best suited to his abilities. It seems like we're asking him to almost be a top-2 guy when in reality he's best suited to a 4-5 role.

That's how I've seen it for the past 2 seasons. He's a vet with a lot of experience (he did a good job of getting under sids skin the other night), but he's played a certain way all his career, Habs expect these old guys to be able to change their style on the fly, another example-Spacek. Then the fans are media are all over them when they're expected to play a game that isn't theirs.

Their skill set is limited, but what thy do, they do well... Stop trying to make em into something they're not.

Fixed for you.

I have no problem with Gill as a third-pairing defenseman, nor do I think he should be a top-four player. But his play during last year's regular season and this season so far has been pretty bad. Being on the third pairing shouldn't entitle him to underperform without repercussions.

Quite frankly, the way he plays during the regular season, we'd be just as good with an AHL callup.

This is what needs to happen next year. Our third pairing = George + rookie.

This is what needs to happen next year. Our third pairing = George + rookie.

That rookie could be Tinordi, I can't stand waiting to see Jarred on the Habs backline, I would love to see Tinordi as the 7th dman learning from the veteran dmen we have for a year.

That rookie could be Tinordi, I can't stand waiting to see Jarred on the Habs backline, I would love to see Tinordi as the 7th dman learning from the veteran dmen we have for a year.

Tinordi is nowhere close to being ready. He is too young and his vision and passing are not anywhere near what they need to be for him to play in the NHL. Yes, he has good size and I'd like to see the Habs have a D that plays with more aggression, but Tinordi is a few years away at least. For now, we're going to have to put up with how Gill plays, but I think it should help him to have a full year with Gorges and to have Markov and Hamrlik get back in and regain their form, so that the third pairing of D-men is only needed to play 15 minutes or so and mainly on the PK. That is Gill's strength, and once our D is healthy, he will be able to focus on that rather than playing 20-23 minutes a game, or more. He's an older guy and he is not mobile, so limiting his ice time will help him have a better year.

Tinordi is nowhere close to being ready. He is too young and his vision and passing are not anywhere near what they need to be for him to play in the NHL. Yes, he has good size and I'd like to see the Habs have a D that plays with more aggression, but Tinordi is a few years away at least. For now, we're going to have to put up with how Gill plays, but I think it should help him to have a full year with Gorges and to have Markov and Hamrlik get back in and regain their form, so that the third pairing of D-men is only needed to play 15 minutes or so and mainly on the PK. That is Gill's strength, and once our D is healthy, he will be able to focus on that rather than playing 20-23 minutes a game, or more. He's an older guy and he is not mobile, so limiting his ice time will help him have a better year.

are you kidding man tinordi will be ready in a year and a half and in which case we trade gill for volchenkov if you think that...

Someone has to tell this guy to stop pinching.It's getting ridiculous because it takes him 8 years to get back in his end and he tries to carry the puck up the ice now .What is up with that ?Against Tampa it was ridiculous when I saw him trying to get past someone on the PK.Like what is this guy doing out there?Am I the only getting pissed at this or what?I am not a Hal Gill hater but when someone like him trying to pinch in and carry the puck alot it is starting to ***** me off lol

/end rant

Still expendable... and therefore tradeable?

I read that Mike Commodore didn't play and was a healthy scratch by the Jackets... hmmm

Well he's a 3rd pairing guy so almost by definition expendable, he does add somethings but he can also be replaced. He'd have some trade value, probably more so later in the season when most of his salary is paid off but if we're out of it or on the fringe come Feb. I have no doubt we could flip him into a relatively decent pick.

With that said, Jacques seems to really like him.

Well he's a 3rd pairing guy so almost by definition expendable, he does add somethings but he can also be replaced. He'd have some trade value, probably more so later in the season when most of his salary is paid off but if we're out of it or on the fringe come Feb. I have no doubt we could flip him into a relatively decent pick.

With that said, Jacques seems to really like him.

And will continue to forgive him for his mistakes :o

And will continue to forgive him for his mistakes :o

Well if the good offsets the mistakes then that's fine. Players, especially defensemen will make a significant number of mistakes and Gill is the kind of player who's mistakes really, really stand out while his strengths are often more obscure.

I think overall he's a positive, it just doesn't always look like it but he really does have value in his role. The question is could we get similar production for half the cost and the answer is probably. I know someone will bring up the leadership argument and while I'll admit it does appear that he's very respected and liked by everyone, including the coaching staff since leadership is impossible to quantify I tend to completely disregard it. Even if we accept leadership does exist, does it have ANY impact on a team? What's the value of 1 good guy/leader in the standings? It's really hard to say.

Weeps this has to stop I agree with you again he played like he did in the playoffs well nearly

GO HAL GO :P :P

All I want him to do is limit the egregious mistakes. He doesn't have to play unconscious hockey, or impersonate Nik Lidstrom in his prime, or become an offensive dynamo. He just has to play sound, positional hockey and not make too many blunders that cost us goals against.

All I want him to do is limit the egregious mistakes. He doesn't have to play unconscious hockey, or impersonate Nik Lidstrom in his prime, or become an offensive dynamo. He just has to play sound, positional hockey and not make too many blunders that cost us goals against.

Agreed. The reality is that if he plays a simple game and uses his size and positioning he can be an effective shut down defensman. Especially when paired with the extra speed that Jorges possesses.

The big problem with Gill is that he needs to play near perfect to have a good night. Markov, Subban, Hammer - even some lesser defensmen like Gorges or Obyrne - have enough speed and wit to recover when they make a mistake. When Gill makes on the only person who can save him is the Goalie.

Archived