The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#26 Josh Gorges 2010-11

fourtrax

#26 Josh Gorges

8470324.jpg

BioStatsVideo
QUOTE LIBRARY

“I’m maybe not the oldest guy or the most experienced guy in the room, but I’ve been a part of this team longer than almost anyone here now. I think the more the season progressed, I started to feel more comfortable standing up in the room, talking more and taking control at time.” Canadiens.com, June 7 2010

Which scares me when it comes to resigning him next summer. I know that he's going to be looking for a significant pay raise, so what are the Habs gonna do? Anything more than $2.5 is an overpayment for Josh. I wouldn't even want to pay him that much honestly.

I guess it maybe depends on what kind of a season he has.

I guess it maybe depends on what kind of a season he has.

Well, I'm not sure that he can have a better season than what he's already had. I think Josh has topped out as far as development goes. He can log fairly moderate-to-big minutes, blocks shots, sacrifices the body. However, he cannot make plays, score goals, effectively clear the zone, fight, or shutdown an opposing team's top forwards on a regular basis (I know people are going to disagree here 'cause of the play-offs, but whatever). If Josh cannot be resigned to a reasonable contract I would explore trading him this season. I believe Ryan O'Byrne will come cheaper on his next deal, and perhaps be able to replace Josh should he be seeking too much dough.

I wouldn't want to over pay for him, but I'd rather give him Hal Gill money than give it to Hal Gill. His shot is nothing to write home about and he'll never rack up the points, but I think he's a much better puck mover than your average defensive defenseman (cough, Komisarek, cough). Versatile and durable; nice qualities for a defenseman.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd like to see Gorges traded away. I know, I know. But I think we'd be better off with this:

Markov- O'Byrne

Hammer-Spacek

Gill-Subban

Or, flip Gill and change the last pairing to Gorges-Subban, either one.

EDIT: Yeah, second idea sounds better (flip Gill), because then when Hammer's contract runs out, Spacek can slide over to the left and play with Subban, hopefully Markov will be resigned or replaced to play with O'Byrne, and Gorges-? can be the third pairing (maybe Tinordi? Too early probably..)

It's all wishful thinking though, Gill's playoffs landed him a spot, and Gorges likely won't be traded unless it's incredibly in our favour.

Josh brings so much to the team. His attitude, his leadership. I'd sign him 6 years at 2.5. With his attitude, his play won't go down.

c'mon guys, jeff shultz just got 4 years 2.75m deal. josh won't see anything above 2m if he repeats this year performance next season.

c'mon guys, jeff shultz just got 4 years 2.75m deal. josh won't see anything above 2m if he repeats this year performance next season.

You're right. And Schultz led the league in +/- I think. However, we Habs fans have a tendency to overhype our own players and prospects. My ideal contract for Josh would be multi-year (longer than the expiring Gomez, Gionta, Cammalleri deals) for around $2 million per season.

A fourth D-man at best, basically a really good heart-and-soul third-pairing blue liner who does everything relatively well but nothing particularly well. No contract longer than three years, no big dollars. If he wants big money next summer, let him walk. This is a business.

A fourth D-man at best, basically a really good heart-and-soul third-pairing blue liner who does everything relatively well but nothing particularly well. No contract longer than three years, no big dollars. If he wants big money next summer, let him walk. This is a business.

I would keep him long-term for the right dollar. I think, for what he brings to the team, he could very well be a good long-term investment. Like you say, everything relatively well, but nothing particularly well. For someone who can play top-4 minutes if required, $2 million/season wouldn't be a bad investment.

I would keep him long-term for the right dollar. I think, for what he brings to the team, he could very well be a good long-term investment. Like you say, everything relatively well, but nothing particularly well. For someone who can play top-4 minutes if required, $2 million/season wouldn't be a bad investment.

My standing policy is never to invest for more than three years at a time in non-core talent. Josh is a nice injury substitute in the top four, but he's not a top-four defenseman. I wouldn't mind giving Josh $2 million over three years (effectively replacing Gill's salary with his), but four years is too much job security for a 5th d-man.

My standing policy is never to invest for more than three years at a time in non-core talent. Josh is a nice injury substitute in the top four, but he's not a top-four defenseman. I wouldn't mind giving Josh $2 million over three years (effectively replacing Gill's salary with his), but four years is too much job security for a 5th d-man.

i wouldn't mind 4 years 1.8, because he is young and durable, but generally i agree with you. those 5-6 d-men could be replaced easily and there is no point of taking too much risk what long term contracts certainly are.

I agree in principle about not locking up non-core talent. Josh is the type of player I might make exception for though and wouldn't mind sacrificing a bit more term to lower the cap hit. While bottom 6 and especially bottom 3 forwards are a dime a dozen and should always be on short, cheap, contracts, I think 3rd pairing D-men who are cheap and who are useful (won't hurt you 5 on 5 and who can play PK) are a little more rare and harder to come by.

Part of Phily's downfall IMO was that their Top 4 were really getting worn down because their 3rd pairing couldn't be trusted. As a fix they've found the need to committ a lot of cap by bringing in a guy like Mezaros. Due to the type of player Josh is, I feel like he will always have trade value if his cap hit is low enough, which is why the longer term doesn't scare me as much.

Archived