The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#79 Andrei Markov 2010-11

fourtrax

Markov should be a Norris trophy candidate it's to bad he's been injured last year and starting this year. He rarely makes mistakes and is a great example for his teammates to follow,I hope we sign him to an extention early like this summer.

Looking at the 2011 free agent class I am beginning to think more and more that we need to resign Andrei. You have some big money players becoming available, but I would argue that most are not worth consideration as replacements for Andrei and I don't think we are going to magically discover a top-2 defender in a trade anytime soon. So, I would really love to see P.G. work out a contract with Andrei sometime later this summer. An extension for, minimum, three more years! ;) What are people's thought on what Markov is worth when his current deal expires? Is it possible we could resign him for something like $6 million per year for three years?

Looking at the 2011 free agent class I am beginning to think more and more that we need to resign Andrei. You have some big money players becoming available, but I would argue that most are not worth consideration as replacements for Andrei and I don't think we are going to magically discover a top-2 defender in a trade anytime soon. So, I would really love to see P.G. work out a contract with Andrei sometime later this summer. An extension for, minimum, three more years! ;)What are people's thought on what Markov is worth when his current deal expires? Is it possible we could resign him for something like $6 million per year for three years?

I really don't think he's worth this anymore. With his most recent injury, and his past few, Gauthier will probably wait and see how Andrei heals/plays this season before resigning.

No doubt he is our best defenseman, but if we lose him to free agency, we'll have to look on the bright side. A fair bit of money opened up. I would love to see him succeed with Montreal of course though, and if he has a good season then I would be open to signing him for about 5 years, maybe at 6, 6, 5, 4.7, 4.5 or something silly like that.

I really don't think he's worth this anymore. With his most recent injury, and his past few, Gauthier will probably wait and see how Andrei heals/plays this season before resigning.

No doubt he is our best defenseman, but if we lose him to free agency, we'll have to look on the bright side. A fair bit of money opened up. I would love to see him succeed with Montreal of course though, and if he has a good season then I would be open to signing him for about 5 years, maybe at 6, 6, 5, 4.7, 4.5 or something silly like that.

Considering Gonchar just signed with the Sens at 5.5mil/year for 3 years, I think Markov could command 5-6 million given his abilities and what he could bring to a team's powerplay. If the injuries he's sustained this past season start to nag at him early then that price tag may lower. I'd like to see him stay and succeed with the Habs as well, I just love how easy he makes his passes look.

Considering Gonchar just signed with the Sens at 5.5mil/year for 3 years, I think Markov could command 5-6 million given his abilities and what he could bring to a team's powerplay. If the injuries he's sustained this past season start to nag at him early then that price tag may lower. I'd like to see him stay and succeed with the Habs as well, I just love how easy he makes his passes look.

It's not about what he could command it's about what makes sense going forward, players are often overpaid. 6 million? Maybe, but I wouldn't give him much of a raise on his current contract, 6 million is probably my limit and that would be on a short term deal, 2 years maybe. I'd probably look at 4-5 years at a smaller cap hit, maybe in the 4.75 - 5 range.

I understand he can get more and if he wants more then he's free to explore that route.

It's not about what he could command it's about what makes sense going forward, players are often overpaid. 6 million?

Yes, I should've clarified that he could make that much if he wanted to test the open market. His current cap hit isn't too far off from this though (5.75 million?). If he takes a small raise then that puts you at 6 million or pretty close to it. I don't mind seeing him signed long term, but nothing ridiculous that is paying him 6+ million as he's approaching 40. As you mentioned, a longer term should come with lower dollars.

It's not about what he could command it's about what makes sense going forward, players are often overpaid. 6 million? Maybe, but I wouldn't give him much of a raise on his current contract, 6 million is probably my limit and that would be on a short term deal, 2 years maybe. I'd probably look at 4-5 years at a smaller cap hit, maybe in the 4.75 - 5 range.

I understand he can get more and if he wants more then he's free to explore that route.

My idea called for a cap hit of 5.2 I think...

If he's perfectly healthy, I'd like to see him locked up for a while, and also named Captain tbh.

I have a feeling Andrei is not going to take any sort of pay cut as he will only be 32 when this contract expires. If Gonchar can still manage an annual salary of $5 million at 36 I don't think Andrei is going to take anything less than he's currently making.

Gonchar also showed that he came back from his injuries though, which Markov will have to do. If Markov remains the player he was pre-injuries (not the one he was when he came back this year), then he fully deserves to be paid 5-6 million. After coming back from the tendon injury though, he seemed to have lost a step that he never really recovered. The vision was still there but I found his positioning and speed were to be desired. So for me, Markov's worth depends greatly on how he rebounds this year. I personally feel the Habs might be better off trying to trade him during the season, and there will be a decent crop of upper-tier defencemen available in the off-season if we find we need to replace him.

Gonchar also showed that he came back from his injuries though, which Markov will have to do. If Markov remains the player he was pre-injuries (not the one he was when he came back this year), then he fully deserves to be paid 5-6 million. After coming back from the tendon injury though, he seemed to have lost a step that he never really recovered. The vision was still there but I found his positioning and speed were to be desired. So for me, Markov's worth depends greatly on how he rebounds this year. I personally feel the Habs might be better off trying to trade him during the season, and there will be a decent crop of upper-tier defencemen available in the off-season if we find we need to replace him.

He may have come back too soon to play in the Olympics. then as in many cases got reinjured. Hopefully there is not a rush to have him back before he is fully healed.

What upper-tier d-men are going to be available in the summer of 2011?

Chara?

Lidstrom?

Good luck getting either of those guys to come to Montreal. :lol: I have a feeling Big Z will be playing elsewhere and Lidstrom will probably retire. Or, well... I certainly don't expect either of them to consider the perennial 8th-9th place finishing Montreal Canadiens as a hot destination. If we want to maintain competitive play for the next few seasons I think we need to keep Markov or trade him for one darned excellent defensive prospect.

The history of the hab franchise has been trade stars when they're towards the end of the career for fresh talent. During the 1980's that line of thinking slowly plummeted and by the 90's the Patrick Roy trade signified that this notion was tossed out the window. In light of PK Subban stepping into Markov's skates in the playoffs, I feel maybe it's time to repeat the past and Maybe get a #1 and an NHL ready top 6. Let's take a look at history http://www.greatesthockeylegends.com/2009/...and-marcel.html

It is Guy Lafleur, sometime between the years 1966 and 1969. He was playing for the Quebec Jr. Aces. They would change their name to the Remparts at the end of the decade. The older Lafleur would blossom into one of the greatest junior hockey players of all time.

Lafleur was not eligible for the NHL draft until 1971, but Montreal wanted him badly. In May 1970 they made their first move to secure the 1st overall pick in '71. They traded Ernie Hicke and their own 1st rounder to lowly Oakland.

As the 1970-71 season progressed, the Habs gamble was working well as the Seals toiled and threatened to finish dead last, giving Montreal the top pick. To make sure the equally terrible Los Angeles Kings did not fall beneath the Seals in the standings, the Habs basically gave away Ralph Backstrom during the season to prop up the Kings and make them good enough to finish strong.

Mission accomplished. The Seals finished last. The Habs draft first, landing Guy Lafleur essentially for the price of Hicke and an aging Backstrom.

Maybe PG will surprise us and give him an extension during this off season, with his injuries over the years, his value may have decrease and maybe would get a cap hit of 4.5m for 5 years. I know PG probably won't during this off season but still, that's why I say he might surprise us, take his injuries as an advantage just like Boston did with Rask while he was still backing up TT during the season and now they have Rask locked up in back up $.

My favorite play/move by Andrei Markov.............

Quite known for his passing this play was marvelous, or Markovlous? Anyway.......he was coming in from the left point with the puck and started behind the net. The D moved to the opposite side because for sure he looked like he was going to come out the other side with the puck. But he didn't and instead somehow sent a pass to a Hab in front of the net on the left. Considering Markov is left handed it seemed impossible to make the pass from behind the net without hitting the back of the goal. Great pass, Markie!

My preference is this: Sign Andrei Markov to multi-year extension so that he can finish his career as a Hab. He's what... 31 or 32 years old now? So, let's take five years as a reasonable extension so that he can finish his career a Canadien. $6.500 million, $6.000 million, $5.000 million, $4.000 million, $2.5 million. Sound reasonable? ;) The cap hit would come in at $4.8 million per season. Markov gets a pay raise to start the contract, and it tapers off as the deal comes to a close. Roman Hamrlik and Hal Gill go UFA next season opening up some free money to pursue a defensive free agent, however, I would not go after anyone in next year's free agent class. I would wait until the summer of 2012 and make a pitch for Ryan Suter. Depending on his development over the next two seasons he could be a great addition to a Montreal team that needs size and point production from the backend. Promising young kid, if you ask me. Currently he's making $3.5 million per season. I assume he's in line for a fairly big raise, so it's possible he might be available for $5-$6 million per season? :unsure:

He may have come back too soon to play in the Olympics. then as in many cases got reinjured. Hopefully there is not a rush to have him back before he is fully healed.

They're completely separate injuries... Not related in the slightest.

His first injury was a freak accident to a tendon in his ankle caused by Carey Price's skate. His second injury was an ACL injury in his knee from an awkward landing on a body check. Not remotely related whatsoever.

However, I completely agree with the bolded part.

The history of the hab franchise has been trade stars when they're towards the end of the career for fresh talent. During the 1980's that line of thinking slowly plummeted and by the 90's the Patrick Roy trade signified that this notion was tossed out the window. In light of PK Subban stepping into Markov's skates in the playoffs, I feel maybe it's time to repeat the past and Maybe get a #1 and an NHL ready top 6. Let's take a look at history http://www.greatesthockeylegends.com/2009/...and-marcel.html

It is Guy Lafleur, sometime between the years 1966 and 1969. He was playing for the Quebec Jr. Aces. They would change their name to the Remparts at the end of the decade. The older Lafleur would blossom into one of the greatest junior hockey players of all time.

Lafleur was not eligible for the NHL draft until 1971, but Montreal wanted him badly. In May 1970 they made their first move to secure the 1st overall pick in '71. They traded Ernie Hicke and their own 1st rounder to lowly Oakland.

As the 1970-71 season progressed, the Habs gamble was working well as the Seals toiled and threatened to finish dead last, giving Montreal the top pick. To make sure the equally terrible Los Angeles Kings did not fall beneath the Seals in the standings, the Habs basically gave away Ralph Backstrom during the season to prop up the Kings and make them good enough to finish strong.

Mission accomplished. The Seals finished last. The Habs draft first, landing Guy Lafleur essentially for the price of Hicke and an aging Backstrom.

Yes....but back then...they had the "GodFather" of GM's in Sammy Pollack.......{BTW it was the Ramparts (LaFleur) not the Aces.....that's Beliveau). Yes....I see Markov being moved this year for either an up & coming "proven" young player or high pic in the draft & dumping salary to fatten the bottom line.

This year the team will be run like a business......not a country-club....with a view to increase the value of the long-term of the franchise.

Archived